Luxury Thai Hotels Opening in Pandemic Bet on 5-Star Quarantine

rooster59

1 minute ago, DLock said:

...and if these "wealthy" people demand to leave quarantine to go eat or drink...are they really going to stop them?

Hardly.

What about the 7 wealthy Chinese investors tourists in their private jet, announced a few days ago to arrive to Suvarnabhumi? Back home already in China, or still under quarantine in Bangkok?  :whistling:

13 hours ago, Saltire said:

Why always the focus on the rich? Of the record 39 million visitors in 2019, i'd guess the wealthy would be a small percentage, the majority being 'normal' people.

There are however enough rich prats already in the country to try and justify these 5 star places, but not enough to be frofitable i'd suggest.

Read a guys post in a FB group about a meal in Michelin star restaurant in Bangkok where his bill was 38000 Baht - coffee was 2880 Baht and a glass of mediocre wine 1500 and he was banging on about how it was great value.

Maybe targetting people with more money than sense could pay off!

Cheap compared to an 85.000CHF bottle of wine in a Zurich restaurant. No, it wasn't on my table. Ordered by a wealthy Russian at the next table.

10 hours ago, graemeaylward said:

All hotels, whether big or small provide a room with bathroom, A/C and TV, which is what most people require.  In better times it is just used as a base for sleeping etc. and guests could eat out and explore if they so wished.  I have rarely spent more than 600-700 baht per night for a hotel room, with breakfast.  Now, if some of these smaller hotels were used for "Approved" Quarantine for 14 days, it might not be OTT luxury, but would be affordable for more people eligible to return here.  Elite Hotels are all very well but it is the small hoteliers who are suffering most. Give them a chance to make ends meet!

I agree with you; but the smaller hotel owners I doubt have the political clout to get on the list and besides that doesn’t match the apparent vision of Thailand being the playground for the rich elite of the world.

Breaking news!!

Since prisons are reported to be overcrowded,

Thailand will allow rich high spending long sentenced local criminals an Alternative State Prison or ASP, and boost the local economy by converting selected 4 and 5* hotels with cooperation of selected police departments and the promotion by the Justice Department.

Big Thai companies also sponsoring this move, including Red Bull, Ital-Thai, etc.

The government reported to be very excited about this new proposal and fully behind the idea.

If only, right? ????

I think they will get a long nose, these elite hotels, the wealthy western people have higher demands to lifequality, than sit 2 weeks in a prisonlike hotel in Thailand.

Funny that Thailand now should be a place for very wealthy people, it has not being the last years or maybe never, what has changed ?

Thailands main tourism up to the covid was discount tourism from China, sextourism from the hole world and low-middleclass chartertourists and backpackers, that is what I have seen i Thailand, maybe I am wrong.

Edited by finnsk