RIP Trink aka The Night Owl

4reaL

Used to read his page in the Saturday Bangkok Post...saw him a few times on his rounds...he looked like a pear! I remember a very sad entry in his column when he informed his readers that his son had died. Make the scene Bernard.

• Like 1

It is fitting Bernard's biography was written by a woman expat. Jennifer Bliss wrote But I Don't Give a Hoot: The Life and Times of Bernard Trink, Bangkok's 'Nite Owl' in 2000. I'd certainly buy an extensive compendium of his columns, even an electronic edition. They chronicle a lot of the histories of expats who washed up here, including me.

I arrived in LOS in 1987 and read the Trink column from then right up until his services were terminated. I'm glad he made old age and he certainly could tell a story. Although I never lived in BKK, I tested a few of his theories (when I still had a prostate gland) without repercussions and whilst I did not agree with all of his writings, he was writing 'from the coal-face' as it were. He was certainly a character and his would have been a hard act to follow. The front page, his page, the Andy Capp cartoon and the crossword were the only reasons I bought the Bangkok Post, for a great many years. RIP Mr Trink.

On 10/12/2020 at 1:28 AM, Orton Rd said:

He was not alone on the HIV denial, it was quite common at the time and there were even web sites denying it, seems barmy now of course. I expect the theories about covid will seem just as mad i 20 years

He did not take back his comment did he?

We all make mistakes. 

Decent people take responsibility for the mistake and make an effort to make it right, don't they?

Trivia: It is said that he came up with TIT expression.