Due To Have A Baby In November

hello there, i am currently in Thailand with my Boyfriend (who is studying for a degree in bangkok) and we are due to have our baby in November - i have used the search function and am aware i would have to register the birth at the British Embassy etc, however i wanted to know if anything would change in terms of a visa (with the new visa laws they have just introduced) would the baby need a visa first and foremost? And would our baby actually be allowed back into Thailand after a visa run?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated - thankyou

First and foremost, your baby will need a passport – a British passport, if you are British.

No overstay fees are collected from children, therefore, no visa is needed for the baby.

--------------

Maestro

If you are both British then once the baby is born take the thai birth certificate & get it translated at one of the places on Wireless Road then take it to the Britsh Embassy & register the birth then head up the stairs to consular section & apply for the babies passport. If you dont they will not be allowed to enter the UK or exit Thailand in future but as Maestro said, children do not need a visa (I believe the age limit is 14 but not 100% on that)

And congratulations, there are several threads in the family section of this forum on recommended hospitals in Bangkok in case you wanted further advice :o

I'd caution the OP, and that visa running, given the recent experience of some of our members and their children where the child was almost denied re-entry into Thailand for being over the 90/180 day rule. This, in spite of there being no penalty for overstaying.

If your boyfriend is on a legimate nonimmigrant 'E' visa for educational purposes (ie. as long as he studies, he can stay here legally with no visa runs), I'd make sure that on the first trip out of Thailand, you obtain a non-immigrant 'O' for the baby, which can be extended based on the bonafides of the fathers educational status in Thailand being proven.

The NORMAL practice as far as I have seen here with collegues here in BKK is that first trip out of the country (whenever that may be) involves the baby getting the non-O. The timing for this visa need not be rushed, but the lawyer for my firm was insistent that once the child left, their re-entry into Thailand should be on a legitimate visa which was supported by the parents activities in Thailand.