NON O based on Thai child

Hello all,

After quite a few years of marriage to a Thai national, with whom I have a son...its seems things are coming to an end. I would really appreciate any advice that can be given regarding my circumstances which are as follows:

* My marriage visa is about to expire in January. I have the 400,000 in the bank that is required for the extension.

* I am teaching on this visa with a valid work permit. I have a full teachers licence so getting a NON B should not be a big issue. 

* I have a son that is a Thai national with my wife. He is 13 years old. 

* My wife may or may not be cooperative in the process of extending the marriage visa. At the moment we are not communicating.

I am wondering if I should use the 400,000 in the bank, maybe one last time? Perhaps look into a NON B next time round. I dont get what happens in the circumstances I am in. I have looked at the form, maybe I am wrong but it just looks like the same process as the marriage visa....photos of house etc BUT we will likely be separated by then. 

Any solid info/ thoughts on this will be GREATLY appreciated.

You may find it difficult to apply for a extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon being the parent of Thai without cooperation from your estranged wife. You will need something to state you have at least partial custody of your child.

If you were to get divorced you would need at least joint custody.

Every office can have different requirement to apply based upon being the parent of a Thai. Best to contact your local office before applying. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DavisH said:

Can you change from a marriage extension to a non-b without leaving the country?

It is a change of the reason for a extension of stay from marriage to working as teacher (neither are visas of any kind). No need to leave the country to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a change of the reason for a extension of stay from marriage to working as teacher (neither are visas of any kind). No need to leave the country to do it.

Good. Does it also work in reverse this way? From teaching extension to marriage extension?

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

Good. Does it also work in reverse this way? From teaching extension to marriage extension?

You mean from a Non-B to a Non-O based on marriage and still be working?  Yes, you can change the reason for the extension. You're allowed to work if having an extension based on marriage. But, what would be the difference if Non-B extensions are working? 

4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

You mean from a Non-B to a Non-O based on marriage and still be working? 

You don't change visa categories when changing the reason for a extension of stay. That never changes unless you leave and re-enter the country with a new visa issued by a embassy or consulate.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Max69xl said:

You mean from a Non-B to a Non-O based on marriage and still be working?  Yes, you can change the reason for the extension. You're allowed to work if having an extension based on marriage. But, what would be the difference if Non-B extensions are working? 

It would be more convenient then changing jobs. I have been on a non-b extension based on work for 20 years. But I may change to a marriage extension if I go to another job. If I don't like the new position, it is easier to leave. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, DavisH said:

If your work is stable, I think getting a non-b based on your work is the best way. Can you change from a marriage extension to a non-b without leaving the country? I don't know, but maybe someone here does. 

Immigration does that. No problem. OP, if you're planning to work much longer a non-B would be easy to obtain and the school might even pay for it.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, teacherclaire said:

Immigration does that. No problem. OP, if you're planning to work much longer a non-B would be easy to obtain and the school might even pay for it.

Yes, my employer has already stated getting the NON B isnt a problem. The weird part is...I already have a work permit.  I dont know what the process is for this situation. As I have said, as far as paperwork goes I have a teachers licence now so legally I am all  good. If my wife plays ball though, perhaps keeping the NON O status would be nice......oh dear, the Sh*t you have to go through when breaking up!!!  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DavisH said:

It would be more convenient then changing jobs. I have been on a non-b extension based on work for 20 years. But I may change to a marriage extension if I go to another job. If I don't like the new position, it is easier to leave. 

Some schools tell you that you must have a Non-B, but that's not true.

They don't know it better. 

Check twice before you start a new job; Just saw that you have a license. 

Edited by teacherclaire

1 minute ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Yes, my employer has already stated getting the NON B isnt a problem. The weird part is...I already have a work permit.  I dont know what the process is for this situation. As I have said, as far as paperwork goes I have a teachers licence now so legally I am all  good. If my wife plays ball though, perhaps keeping the NON O status would be nice......oh dear, the Sh*t you have to go through when breaking up!!!  

Your work permit will not expire should you go for the change. Best of luck!

P.S. It seems to be a critical time where countless marriages go down the drain. You're not the only one.

Just think about not to make the same mistake again! 

Edited by teacherclaire
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, teacherclaire said:

Some schools tell you that you must have a Non-B, but that's not true.

They don't know it better. 

Check twice before you start a new job; it's a waste of time and eventually a waiver letter when it turns out that the school is not worth working for. 

Yes, I have been told over the years that I cannot work on a marriage visa. It doesnt take long to give them the info that YOU CAN work on a marriage visa. Some employers like the hold they have over you with the NON B. Waivers are not an issue for me. I have the licence already.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Yes, I have been told over the years that I cannot work on a marriage visa. It doesnt take long to give them the info that YOU CAN work on a marriage visa. Some employers like the hold they have over you with the NON B. Waivers are not an issue for me. I have the licence already.

Luckily, I've got mine too. It helps a lot when dealing with Immigration and labor department. The last time, I needed 2 hours for both, the extension and work permit. 

What made me wonder was that the Immigration checked on waivers two years ago, but the labor department did nothing.

Immigration even went on Khurusapha's website to see if my waiver at that time was real. It was shocking to me. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Yes, the advantage of the Marriage visa is...lose your job...no worries! It gives freedom and some employers actually DONT like it!! I will stay on it if I can through having a child .....????

I know a guy who's got full custody over his son, being on a Non-O based on him.

That's way more complicated than the ordinary being married to a Thai Non-O. 

But it's doable. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Luckily, I've got mine too. It helps a lot when dealing with Immigration and labor department. The last time, I needed 2 hours for both, the extension and work permit. 

What made me wonder was that the Immigration checked on waivers two years ago, but the labor department did nothing.

Immigration even went on Khurusapha's website to see if my waiver at that time was real. It was shocking to me. 

Yes, thank god I finally got that golden card. I am happy in my current position. I do not intend to move away from the area or my son. Its going to be an interesting and rough time. Looks like I am moving out of my house soon.....thank god I took the time to learn to speak Thai, looks like lil ole me will be ordering my own cow pad for a while...

don't believe any "lawyers" that promise you for $$$$$$$  to get you full custody...

judges don't see it that way, that think joint custody is the best, even the mother is the devil

there is a strange belief that all mother's are good, love their children, etc...

well except the one's that poison, murder, kill, drown, torture, mentally, physically abuse  their own blood and it seems this is kind of a thing over here, as THAI parents OWN their children till they are 20 and that seem to give them a licence to do whatever they want with them...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 248900_1469958220 said:

Yes, my employer has already stated getting the NON B isnt a problem.

To get NON B would mean leaving the country and in these uncertain times that is something you should avoid.

As Joe has already stated, just change the reason for your extension of stay to work from marriage, so long as you and your employer qualify then this is the easiest route.

You can change back to taking care of your child etc. next time no problem. (Unless you are divorced, most immigration offices will not extend for this)

• Thanks 1