Getting Large Prints Done

Hi

Does anyone know of a good, not too expensive outlet, in the Pattaya area that can produce large prints from jpeg files?

I have a particularly nice sunset photo that would look great framed and hanging on the wall so I really need something like A2 or A1 size.

I recall that someone on this forum mentioned an outlet in TukCom but I've never noticed it. Anyone know what it's called and does anyone have any alternative suggestions? I guess that I could use one of the outlets in BKK but it would be more convenient just to drop off a disc at somewhere local.

DM

On the third floor (assuming you call the ground floor the first floor), at the other end of the mall from Powerbuy, there is a place with a large format printer in the window.

They print on plastic rather than traditional photo paper but it looks great (to my eyes anyway). I have had several A2s and an A1 printed there and they look good framed on the wall. I think the matte finish looks best, but they will show you samples. Colours are very accurate. 400 baht for an A2 if I recall.

For photographic paper prints, go to the Kodak Shop opposite Soi 7 on second road.

They have done 20in x 30in enlargements for me and there were larger sizes on their pricelist. Mine were in JPG format.

If you do not mind an "On plastic" print, there is also the print shop on the corner of South Road and Third Road. They have MASSIVE printers in there. I forget their name, but have used them and they are helpful and do good work.

• 2 weeks later...

the place on 2nd road across from soi 7 is called "central" photo i believe. if you go to pattaya central road and head east from 2nd road there are also a few more shops on the right hand-side only 50 meters down that do larger prints. none of the shops seem very consistent with regards to paper quality or type of finish matte/gloss. as an amateur i had a number of enlargements done and it was all very much of a learning curve. i've never been to these more professional shops in bangkok so i really don't know what is standard in thailand? i could use some advice on the subject myself. :o

To be more specific, I've been enjoying photography as a hobby and was trying to have some enlargements done to decorate the apartment. Even in just the 8 x 12 size, trying local labs in the

Pattaya area I get a wide range of results. Sometimes, thick Kodak professional paper with a gloss finish sometimes razor-thin Fuji crystal archive matte. Often there is strange tinting or lighting changes. I know it's best to try and establish a relationship with one shop but I've not yet found that one shop.

What kind of results are you getting with IQ labs? I keep telling myself to go visit some galleries or exhibits to see what available is out there because as an amateur I really don't know what is standard in the industry. Of the 50-odd shops in the local area they seem to only primarily deal with quick turn-around snapshots. Many of the shops are only satellite outfits so it's not possible to even talk with the technician who I know has a great deal of control over the process. What do professionals do? :o

• 2 weeks later...
To be more specific, I've been enjoying photography as a hobby and was trying to have some enlargements done to decorate the apartment. Even in just the 8 x 12 size, trying local labs in the

Pattaya area I get a wide range of results. Sometimes, thick Kodak professional paper with a gloss finish sometimes razor-thin Fuji crystal archive matte. Often there is strange tinting or lighting changes. I know it's best to try and establish a relationship with one shop but I've not yet found that one shop.

What kind of results are you getting with IQ labs? I keep telling myself to go visit some galleries or exhibits to see what available is out there because as an amateur I really don't know what is standard in the industry. Of the 50-odd shops in the local area they seem to only primarily deal with quick turn-around snapshots. Many of the shops are only satellite outfits so it's not possible to even talk with the technician who I know has a great deal of control over the process. What do professionals do? :o

I imagine there must be a professional lab somewhere in Pattaya, but you're right, you need to at least find a shop that does the printing on the premises and talk to the folks there. Find out what kind of paper they offer and have them show you examples. Have one or two 8x12's printed and if you're not happy with the color, see if they'll reprint it. Of course, being Thai, they won't EVER admit fault...they'll blame you, your camera, your computer, etc. But if you ask nicely, you never know...

For any folks in Korat, there's an exceptional pro lab called Raja Color Lab, near the Night Bazaar that I've been dealing with for years...outstanding print quality, good prices and quick turnaround.

HI

to be quite honest, the smaller quick turn round outlets produce very high quality prints at VERY cheap prices.

a2 about 100 baht...try getting anything that price in uk!!

I am doing an MA in photography in the uk and i have done alot of the work in thailand..all of which i got printed at these places...no problems whtsoever and very good quality too

i use one of the shops opposite central lat prau in bkk, but i am sure same in pattaya

goodluck

• 1 month later...

I'd like to get some prints done--mostly A4 size but perhaps some bigger. I've been digging through this photography section looking for info, and haven't found anything relevant yet, so I'm going to bump up this thread.

1. Is there a good printer in Pattaya? If not, where should I go in Bangkok?

2. As a newbie, what's the state of the art on print life? Can you print stuff now and not have it fade quickly?

Thanks in advance for any info.

jimmyd

• 2 weeks later...
On the third floor (assuming you call the ground floor the first floor), at the other end of the mall from Powerbuy, there is a place with a large format printer in the window.

They print on plastic rather than traditional photo paper but it looks great (to my eyes anyway). I have had several A2s and an A1 printed there and they look good framed on the wall. I think the matte finish looks best, but they will show you samples. Colours are very accurate. 400 baht for an A2 if I recall.

Hi, I am interested in keeping in touch with anyone in Thailand with anyone who is interested in Photography. I live in Nongbua Lamphu, Nongmuang and will, in July 2008 be travelling to take photos of all aspects of Thailand. I speak some Thai, have a Thai wife and enjoy all Thai food, especially somtam and sticky rice, gai man kaow etc. I have been asked to open a studio to teach computer and photography with a sculptor (who is a policeman) and an artist, painter in nakglan. Perhaps that is your dream as well, if so perhaps it is worth talking about. I check my post more often at [email protected]. Thanks