Second 30 day extension after visa waiver & amnesty

I have a cyclist staying with me who is stuck in Thailand at the moment.

He entered on the land border from Malaysia on 15 March with a 30 day visa waiver.

On 14 September at Chiang Mai immigration he was given 30 day extension for 1,900 Baht He had an embassy letter as requested.

The extension started on 27 September (on the expiry of the third 'amnesty').

Today he went to Udon Immigration to ask about another 30 day extension. They told him in order to get another 30 day visa waiver extension he needed to return to Chiang Mai to do it.

He said didn't feel the IO really knew what he was doing.

Is it correct he needs to return to Chiang Mai? He said he might go to Khon Kaen first and ask there.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, audaciousnomad said:

Check his stamp. If it says, "Under Consideration", then yes he must return to Chiang Mai.  If he has "Permitted to stay until", then in theory he should be able to extend at any office nearby where he has checked in to his accommodation (hostel, hotel, etc.)

No, it's 'extension of stay permitted' until 26 October. So it's not relevant for that reason.

23 hours ago, bluesofa said:

No, it's 'extension of stay permitted' until 26 October. So it's not relevant for that reason.

He can go to immigration and they will change the permitted to stay stamp to November 30th without needing to pay a fee for it.

43 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He can go to immigration and they will change the permitted to stay stamp to November 30th without needing to pay a fee for it.

Thanks UJ.

Any idea why he was told at Udon that he has to go back to Chiang Mai to do this?

37 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Thanks UJ.

Any idea why he was told at Udon that he has to go back to Chiang Mai to do this?

I would think it could be done at any office. But I am sure some will and others will not do it.

He may have to go Chiang Mai to get it done.

On 10/12/2020 at 6:10 PM, bluesofa said:

He needs to extend it at same immigration office where he used the embassy letter for his last extension. That's my guess. There's been another thread about exactly same issue at another office.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Max69xl said:

He needs to extend it at same immigration office where he used the embassy letter for his last extension. That's my guess. There's been another thread about exactly same issue at another office.

Thanks for that info.

I don't suppose you could link to the other thread about it could you?

8 hours ago, Max69xl said:

That was a case where a person still had the under consideration stamp. 

The person being discussed has already gotten his 30 day extension stamp.

On 10/12/2020 at 6:10 PM, bluesofa said:

• Thanks 1

As the OP, update on the cyclist requesting a second 30 Day extension due to Covid.

After Udon initially refusing his request and telling him he 'had' to return' to Chiang Mai to do it:

It took three visits to Udon immig, six phone calls my wife made to BKK and CM immigration who both said it could be done.

On the third visit, the IO at Udon got my wife to phone CM immigration (they weren't prepared to phone CM themselves). The CM IO asked to speak to the Udon IO and basically told him to do it.

Ten minutes later the cyclist had an extension until 30th November. Free of charge.

(He still has two weeks left on the first extension)

• Like 2