Installing a RCD/RCCB afterwards

CLW

Hello everyone,

I moved into a small house lately and there is no faulty switch (RCD/RCCB) installed.

However, there is earthing available in form of a earth pole but it is not connected to the whole wiring.

There was a plotter from the previous owner that required earthing and directly connected with the earth pole.

I worry a bit about my safety and wanted to know if it is possible (easy?) to install a faulty breaker?

Let's start with some photos of your current distribution board with the lid off (care please), then we can point you in the right direction (DIY or get the man in).

How far from the board is the current rod?

• Like 1

First off I see a 50A incoming breaker on what looks like a 5-15 meter ????

Whatever, replacing the incoming breaker with a suitably rated 2-pole RCBO would be the easy solution.

We can tell you what type of breaker to get if you post a photo of the board with the lid off please (care).

Alternatively, there are a number of add-on (a box next to the board) RCBOs available.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mahjongguy said:

Pardon my ignorance but I have not seen this kind of consumer unit before. Is it true that the brand is Safe-T-Cut but in fact it has no RCD function?

Safe-T-Cut Is only a brand, most well known for the RCBO devices, but they produce a verity of other items, as you can see. 

2 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

Pardon my ignorance but I have not seen this kind of consumer unit before.

That is what I inherited. Each shower heater has its own RCD/RCCB. One day I will replace the whole "fuesebox"

On 10/16/2020 at 4:47 AM, Crossy said:

First off I see a 50A incoming breaker on what looks like a 5-15 meter ????

Whatever, replacing the incoming breaker with a suitably rated 2-pole RCBO would be the easy solution.

We can tell you what type of breaker to get if you post a photo of the board with the lid off please (care).

Alternatively, there are a number of add-on (a box next to the board) RCBOs available.

I'll ask nearby electrician to install RCBO and eventually a new breaker box.

Do they know what an RCBO is or is there a special Thai term for it?

I googled RCBO and found plenty of it available online and at DIY outlets.

Thanks Crossy for your initial advice!

5 minutes ago, CLW said:

I'll ask nearby electrician to install RCBO and eventually a new breaker box.

Do they know what an RCBO is or is there a special Thai term for it?

They "should" (yeah, right) understand RCBO. You may be able to replace that 50A incoming breaker which would likely prove the cheapest way forwards.

It would still be useful to see the box with the lid off, there are several pitfalls that our local sparkies will wander into and not understand how to fix prefering to revert to "RCBO no good, Thai electric not need, not same farang electric".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Crossy said:

They "should" (yeah, right) understand RCBO. You may be able to replace that 50A incoming breaker which would likely prove the cheapest way forwards.

It would still be useful to see the box with the lid off, there are several pitfalls that our local sparkies will wander into and not understand how to fix prefering to revert to "RCBO no good, Thai electric not need, not same farang electric".

Ok, I will take a picture of the open breaker box at next opportunity.

Also consult with the electrician if he has slightest idea about an RCBO.