Us Immigration.....

Myself ( American ) and my Thai wife are headed to the US in a couple days. My question is when we get to immigration, are we allowed to go thru together OR do I have to go thru the US Citizen line and her thru the foriegner line ? Since her english isn't the greatest,passable but not great, I would think it would be easiest if we both went thru together ? Anyone out there had this experience they could share with me ?

Thanks in advance

I have not entered for three years but on last entry wife was required to use foreign line (after being told to use US line the previous two years). I would go with her in the foreign line unless told otherwise as believe they can also process you.

I have not entered for three years but on last entry wife was required to use foreign line (after being told to use US line the previous two years). I would go with her in the foreign line unless told otherwise as believe they can also process you.

We've been entering the US from here for nearly twenty years. In probably 35-40 trips through a half dozen different ports of entry in the States, we have never had that experience.

We go straight to the US Citizen line, I hand over both my US passport and my wife's Thai passport (together with my wife's I-94 for the first ten years and, for the last ten, with her green card), and that's that. I've even taken other Thai passport holders we were traveling with through the US Citizen line on strength of me carrying their passports as well. Never had anyone blink. Not once.

Incidentally, you'll face a comparable problem coming back into Thailand, but we've always gotten the same result here by reversing the circumstances -- i.e. my wife carries her Thai passport and my US one, takes us straight through the Thai Passport Holders line, and that's that. Once again, in literally hundreds of entires to Thailand coming from various destinations, no one here has ever even raised an eyebrow.

Welcome to the short lines.

Thank you both Jackson and Lopburi. I think I will try your way first Jackson. What's the worst that could happen ? they will tell us that she has to go over to the other line. So we wait a little longer.............Not in a huge hurry to get anywhere anyhow ! :o

Thanks guys

September 18th, 2003 at SEA. Official claimed he was not allowed to stamp any foreign passport - he did stamp mine and then we had to backtrack to foreign line (but female officer allowed us to avoid the queue). As this was a time of new security procedures assumed it was part of that and probably ongoing.

Edit: I notice on second read your wife (Jackson) has been using green card last ten years so wonder if that may not be a difference? Our entry was normal 10 year tourist visa but with American Spouse. But hope that it was just a fluke and entry can be made in citizen line.

I think it would be better to go with her in the foreign passport line. Remember they photo and fingerprint all foreigners and US line, though equiped to do so, will probably not want to hassle with it.

TH

Myself ( American ) and my Thai wife are headed to the US in a couple days. My question is when we get to immigration, are we allowed to go thru together OR do I have to go thru the US Citizen line and her thru the foriegner line ? Since her english isn't the greatest,passable but not great, I would think it would be easiest if we both went thru together ? Anyone out there had this experience they could share with me ?

Thanks in advance

My Thai wife just recently entered the US (in Seattle). We both went through the Non-US Citizen line. Fortunately for us, she was the only person immigrating to the US that morning. All other foreigners either had a "green" card or were able to obtain an entry-stamp on arrival.