"The Stranded": Highlighting the plight of expats unable to return to Thailand; #2 Retirees

rooster59

8 minutes ago, American robert said:

Hi and Yes...And just before it expired Oct 2 the consulate gave me a new one... apparently that is not too hard if you are not in the UK...I was in Italy. I got back because I was married, and I was on Emirates...the flight was important because of favorable airline policies and TH government approval for them to operate flights to here. The catch is that the new visa is a 90 day thing that I can renew 3 times- not my usual one year thing. Complicating this is that after 10 months away my wife has moved on and is forcing me into a divorce... no happy return to the LoS 

Some confusion going on here.

A Thai Embassy/Consulate abroad cannot issue/renew extensions of stay.  They can only provide you with a new Visa.

It seems from what you write that you got a 1-year MulitpleEntry Non Imm O marriage Visa, which will provide you with a 90-day permission to stay on entry (and it can provides multiple of those entries during the 1-year validity of the Visa).  At the end of those 90 days you need to exit Thailand (simply crossing the border and then return will do) OR apply for a 60-day or 1-year extension of stay  based on that Non Imm O Visa.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, American robert said:

Hi and Yes...And just before it expired Oct 2 the consulate gave me a new one... apparently that is not too hard if you are not in the UK...I was in Italy. I got back because I was married, and I was on Emirates...the flight was important because of favorable airline policies and TH government approval for them to operate flights to here. The catch is that the new visa is a 90 day thing that I can renew 3 times- not my usual one year thing. Complicating this is that after 10 months away my wife has moved on and is forcing me into a divorce... no happy return to the LoS 

Unbelievable, then you CAN go back.....and then she left you, terrible.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, fangless said:

From August 11, 2019 Thai Baht Deposits are protected under the Deposit Protection Agency Act up to a maximum of 5 million baht per one depositor per financial institution until August 10, 2021.

More information available at Deposit Protection Agency website www.dpa.or.th

thank you for this accurate information.

so many people write total <deleted> here.

its nice to see accurate info.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

No problem sending funds overseas from Thailand with the K-Bank app. 

In fact, it literally couldn't get any easier. 

Maybe for you as a business owner but NOT for many retirees!

Edited by fangless
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PEE TEE said:

I know 2 people who have returned to thailand 1 16 days ago and 1 yesterday they do not have big money but have family here .1 has finished quarantine 1 is in a hotel in BKK doing quarantine. both from the Uk and had no big problems getting back  how they did it  im not sure but i do know they did not have the STV .both came from london heathrow via Dubai to BKK    so it is possible. i cannot state names on here but i can assure its true  

Very Interesting.

Be good if you could ask them how they went about their application, as wouldn't expect silly business in UK Thai Embassy.

Wonder if some embassies are able to quietly process applications objectively on humanitarian grounds based on past visa info, perhaps with property and/or loved ones?

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

only protected for less than a million Baht in a Thai bank account

Last notice was in August 2019 from 10 mil to 5 mil to 1 mil

baht effective August 2020. It wasn’t a sudden announcement...

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

i do not agree.

Should have no problem with online banking.

the only problem could be receiving an OTP to a thai phone if you do not have the phone with you and roaming activated.

You don't even need that. I regularly receive text messages in Canada on my AIS Sim even if I have no credits left... As long as your number is valid. 

I even set up my Canadian bank account with 2 step banking by adding AIS number. I get the text message code free of charge while logging in Canada. Canadian Sim charges me 30 cents. 

4 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Last notice was in August 2019 from 10 mil to 5 mil to 1 mil

baht effective August 2020. It wasn’t a sudden announcement...

4 hours ago, fangless said:

From August 11, 2019 Thai Baht Deposits are protected under the Deposit Protection Agency Act up to a maximum of 5 million baht per one depositor per financial institution until August 10, 2021.

More information available at Deposit Protection Agency website www.dpa.or.th

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Me too. 

Foreign business owner with PR and I will apply for Thai citizenship in the future.

I have no intention of leaving and I made plans to amend my residency status to remain here permanently over 12 years ago after 18 years here.

As all good immigrants should! 

Some long-term visitors don't realize how lucky they are being able to stay here permanently with easy requirements compared to other countries. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, praguecr said:

Not to be facetious, but is there such a thing as a not-legal Non-O Retirement Visa?

Yes via "facilitating" agent "not-legal" visa where the rules are bent or broken by the agent as opposed to "assistance" agent legal visas where old fogies like me get the agent  to do the leg/paperwork for me while I sit in the bar.  

• Like 1

It's curious all think they have "valid visa" when in fact they were canceled the moment they entered Thailand. If they don't understand the basic legalities of their presence in Thailand, I fear for them being able to negotiate a return. And why do people take the situation personally...they all chose to leave Thailand in the middle of a pandemic...and now are offended they can't return at their own whim.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

For all of you stick outside Thai I hope you can find a smoother way back if you choose. No need to crack anyones nut as to why it they got caught out...  I was fortunate was supposed to go to Singapore Airshow last minute the business I was visiting at show cancelled..  so I consider myself lucky...

• Like 1