Non-o Renewal

I currently have a Non-O visa. I have to leave the country every 90 days and have just been stamped back in, so I have to leave again in September.

However, my visa was issued in July 2003 and I was under the impression that it will only last 12 months. Is this correct? Or is it that it has to be 'utilised' within a 12 month period and once you have used it, it will last for as long as you keep extending it?

I'm assuming that you had a one-year, multiple-entry visa. After the expiration date of the visa, you cannot use it again. Meaning - if you depart Thailand just before it expires, and return to Thailand the day after it expires, you cannot use it. If you make the same trip, but return to Thailand the day before the visa expires, you get a full 90-day entry permit.

Visas cannot be extended. Entry permits can be extended. If your Class O entry permit is based on marriage to a Thai for which you have proper documentation of marriage, and if you can remit from outside Thailand the amount of 400,000 baht into a Thai bank account bearing your name (or if you can document at least 40,000 baht per month in salary from legal empoloyment in Thailand), and if your wife can accompany you to Immigration when you apply - then you can apply for and receive a long-term entry permit extension. But - you can only apply when your present entry permit is within 30 days of expiration.

This long-term extension can then be renewed each year - indefinitely.

Good luck!

Steve

Indo-Siam

Your visa can not be used to enter Thailand after the July 2004 date on it (you can remain until your current 90 day stay ends). You will need a new visa from a Consulate outside Thailand (in September) or you will need to extend your stay at an immigration office as per Indo-Siam post when your current 'permitted to say until' gets down to less than 30 days.

Steve/Indio-Siam and lopburi3,

I have been wondering about a technical point (or 3) related to your reply to Smithy. I am 46 year old male from usa engaged to marry to a Thai lady next year and move to Bkk. I plan to get the tourist visa and convert to Non-Imm O after the marriage. I understand (I think) the difference between Visa and entry permit. I will either use the 400 k or get-a-job options after the marriage.

My 2 questions are :

1. When the Non-Imm O Visa expires, but I have the approval to remain in-country because of my entry permit extension, do I need to get another Non-Imm O Visa? Would I only need to get a new Visa if I leave Thailand? It seems that if as you say the "long-term extension can then be renewed each year - indefinitely" why bother with another visa.

2. If I leave Thailand on holiday after my Visa has expired, but I have 6 months remaining on my entry permit extension, can I/must I get a reentry permit before I depart? Or does the entry permit extension cancel once you leave Thailand?

3. If you leave Thailand for a holiday to usa, and your Non-Imm O Visa has expired (you are still approved on entry permit extension), does your time toward 3 years of residence accrual reset to zero?

Thanks for clearing this nagging confusion up for me. Steve I may contact you once I settle in Bkk for business assistance.

Maybe I can take some of you helpful people sailing in the Gulf after I settle down.

Chaiyo,

ragtime3 :o

1. When the Non-Imm O Visa expires, but I have the approval to remain in-country because of my entry permit extension, do I need to get another Non-Imm O Visa? Would I only need to get a new Visa if I leave Thailand? It seems that if as you say the "long-term extension can then be renewed each year - indefinitely" why bother with another visa.

you will just need to get a new extension each year from thai immigration. no visa runs neccessary.

2. If I leave Thailand on holiday after my Visa has expired, but I have 6 months remaining on my entry permit extension, can I/must I get a reentry permit before I depart? Or does the entry permit extension cancel once you leave Thailand
the date your extension ends will be important, not the visa from before. you will need a re entry permit when you leave to keep your extension. many get a re entry permit the same day the extension is stamped.
3. If you leave Thailand for a holiday to usa, and your Non-Imm O Visa has expired (you are still approved on entry permit extension), does your time toward 3 years of residence accrual reset to zero?

there are many requirements for PR, at least 3 years of continuous one year extensions is just one of them. your latest extension will remain valid if you have a re entry permit before leaving thailand . then when you return to thailand, your entry permit usually will have "NON RE" handwritten in the visa class.

Thanks for the advice. It is as I thought but I've heard so much from other people I was starting to doubt myself.

As an aside, I'm thinking of visiting China in July/August and was going to go to visit Hong Kong to apply for a new Non-O on the way back, but having been on the HK Consulate website, they only mention applying for non-B's. Do you know whether they also issue non-O's?

Thanks for the advice.  It is as I thought but I've heard so much from other people I was starting to doubt myself. 

As an aside, I'm thinking of visiting China in July/August and was going to go to visit Hong Kong to apply for a new Non-O on the way back, but having been on the HK Consulate website, they only mention applying for non-B's.  Do you know whether they also issue non-O's?

Are you married to a Thai person ? If so, take a copy of your marriage papers, and her Thai ID card, to the RTCG in HongKong and apply for a Non O. If not, and you are relying on a visa for retirement purposes, a non-immigrant O visa should issue if you are 50 years or older, and have access to the income / savings required for a one year visa extension.

Thanks Dr Pat but unfortunately your advice does not help me. I'm an unmarried female, definitely under retirement age (29) and here with my long-term boyfriend (10 years) as his dependant. He has a non-B and work permit. I applied for my first non-O in England using 'dependancy' as my reason for application. Do you know whether the HK Consulate recognises dependancy as a valid reason for issuing a non-O?

Do you know whether the HK Consulate recognises dependancy as a valid reason for issuing a non-O?

Not without a marriage at any consulate in the area I fear. Ten years? That's longer than most marriages. Maybe it is time? :o

Oh blimey - I think I'd rather fly back to England and apply there as opposed to entering the frightening world of Marriage!!

Do you know of any other Consulates worldwide where I could get a non-O as a dependant? Australia and New Zealand are also possible destinations this Summer!

Steve/Indio-Siam and lopburi3,

I have been wondering about a technical point (or 3) related to your reply to Smithy.

Believe Huski has answered your questions. The visa is only required for first entry. After that you use a re-entry permit based on your extension of stay. The one thing you have to do is be here at renewal time each year and make sure you have a re-entry permit prior to any travel.

Australia and New Zealand are also possible destinations this Summer!

That may be an option. There is a list on main site here of contact for Consulates and Embassies so you could ask them (and then again prior to travel to make sure nothing has changed).