Thailand welcomes back tourists after April virus ban

webfact

15 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

Why would that matter , do not pre flight testing and 14 day quarantine safeguard against any infections ?

If not then what is the point of them ?

It's fairly obvious, the 14 day quarantine and the hospitals are a limited resource. By restricting who can travel means the resources will not be overloaded.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, Trujillo said:

"...this is a catastrophe  ..."

How? They will have done their 14-day time. They will be fine (as they are already since they were just tested) but that's not the point. 

The point is that the whole program is not designed to allow any meaningful number of tourists (real tourists) back into the country. 

At this rate the nation will never recover. 

If the tourist rate returned to that in 1990 Thailand would, IMO be better off for it. Mass tourism has made a few rich, but the downside is immense ( eg Maya Bay, full moon party etc ).

• Like 1

I am fully expecting the Thai government and TAT to be making an extreme effort to

get the foreigners that own land, condos, Thai wives or husbands to be able to travel

to Thailand, I sure do hope that they will soon have good news for all the people stranded

who are trying to return.  Come on Prayut, and other great government people, get your acts together

and do something. Those protesters are protesting for a reason.  

Geezer

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 2:31 PM, Xonax said:

I just wonder how many Local Thai´s will cancel their domestic travel plans, now the Chinese are here again.

Given the fact the large majority of these "free holiday / hotel vouchers" that the government gave to locals to stimulate domestic tourism haven't been used anyway, I think it means F all if 39 Chinese come back.

And whilst the 1318 uni students who participated in the survey overwhelmingly want borders closed, I would think the hundreds and thousands even millions of Thai people employed as a result of international tourism would have a far different view.

Of course this has to be a gradual approach to re open international borders again, however what is the alternative??? Remain closed for the next 12 months until a vaccine is widely available?? By that time the death rate from starvation, suicide and everything else linked to poverty will be far greater than Covid 19 would ever do.

And then what if a vaccine is never found??? Just close forever???

There are many countries who have next to no virus in there countries.  Maybe a more viable option would be to re look at travel bubbles with selected countries again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Big Yuley said:

There are many countries who have next to no virus in there countries.  Maybe a more viable option would be to re look at travel bubbles with selected countries again. 

NZ has almost no infected cases, but if I went to LOS the cost would be prohibitive for flight and insurance, then I'd have to quarantine at my own expense on return. Not going to happen for me.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

NZ has almost no infected cases, but if I went to LOS the cost would be prohibitive for flight and insurance, then I'd have to quarantine at my own expense on return. Not going to happen for me.

Yes I know mate.

I am self employed and have the cash to do it and the time, however its just not worth it. 

As an Aussie I have resigned myself to the fact no viable option will be in place ot go to LOS until March / April next year. 

• Like 1

I wonder if history will repeat itself. I remember the 80s when Spain was a very populair holiday destination. Big and easy money floated into the country and brought arrogance and fast raising prices with them. Untill the tourist were fed up with it and changed there holiday destination to Greece and Turkey. It took Spain about 8 years to win the hearts of the tourist back again. Will the same happen with Thiland?

• Like 1

On 10/21/2020 at 2:04 AM, polpott said:

The Thai man on the street doesn't welcome this move and would prefer the borders to remain closed, particularly for Chinese tourists as they still remember who brought Covid to Thailand in the first place. They are actually feared not welcomed.

The average Chinese tourist stays, on average, one to two weeks in Thailand. Chinese staying up to 6 months, definitely not tourists.

So the headline couldn't have got it more wrong. "Thailand welcomes back tourists", not welcome and not tourists.

Its true, many Thai really dont like and want the Chinese. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, peter zwart said:

I wonder if history will repeat itself. I remember the 80s when Spain was a very populair holiday destination. Big and easy money floated into the country and brought arrogance and fast raising prices with them. Untill the tourist were fed up with it and changed there holiday destination to Greece and Turkey. It took Spain about 8 years to win the hearts of the tourist back again. Will the same happen with Thiland?

Given how they have been talking about the Farang since begin this year as being the cause of all.... the same is most likely going to happen i guess.