Chasing up a UK passport renewal

It's been nearly 8 weeks since I submitted my son's UK passport renewal.  I had hoped it would take much less time than this, although they do say to allow 8 weeks. His annual Thai Extension is due for renewal in the next few weeks, so I'm a little worried something may have gone wrong.  The DHL tracking just shows it was received in Liverpool, UK in early September, but nothing since then.

What is the most cost-effective and/or productive way of chasing HMPO up?  

Just now, prakhonchai nick said:

How do you know about the DHL tracking? Did you not submit your son's passport application through VFS ? If you couriered it yourself direct to Liverpool then I am sorry to say, but you are in for a big delay!

VFS supplied the DHL tracking number.  It's shown on the VFS receipt.

Check your email spam folder? They may have an issue with provenance, passport picture or something. Unusual that it should have been hung up for this length of time without any contact.

Isn't there a contact number/email for the Liverpool passport office? I have seen other threads where errant passport application have been tracked down and questions answered.

Also suggest you check with VFS (spam filter again?) as they will only hold on to a passport for maybe two weeks before sending it back to the UK if the applicant doesn't come and get it after being notified.

30 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Check your email spam folder? They may have an issue with provenance, passport picture or something. Unusual that it should have been hung up for this length of time without any contact.

Isn't there a contact number/email for the Liverpool passport office? I have seen other threads where errant passport application have been tracked down and questions answered.

Also suggest you check with VFS (spam filter again?) as they will only hold on to a passport for maybe two weeks before sending it back to the UK if the applicant doesn't come and get it after being notified.

I check my junk mail daily.  I'm fairly confident that if it had been sent back to VFS, the DHL tracking would show this.

It's the email or phone contact for Liverpool I think I need.

13 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I check my junk mail daily.  I'm fairly confident that if it had been sent back to VFS, the DHL tracking would show this.

It's the email or phone contact for Liverpool I think I need.

The new passport will be sent under a different DHL airwaybill and different tracking number. You only have the number for the package sent from VFS.

17 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's been nearly 8 weeks since I submitted my son's UK passport renewal.  I had hoped it would take much less time than this, although they do say to allow 8 weeks. His annual Thai Extension is due for renewal in the next few weeks, so I'm a little worried something may have gone wrong.  The DHL tracking just shows it was received in Liverpool, UK in early September, but nothing since then.

What is the most cost-effective and/or productive way of chasing HMPO up?  

Did you use VFS in Bangkok?

Or did you try doing things on your own?

My passport was returned in 4 weeks, submitted on last day of August back in Thailand 4 weeks later.

19 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Did you use VFS in Bangkok?

Or did you try doing things on your own?

My passport was returned in 4 weeks, submitted on last day of August back in Thailand 4 weeks later.

I think maybe the clue to your question might be in the post from the OP, where he said "VFS supplied the DHL tracking number.  It's shown on the VFS receipt" 

5 hours ago, NanLaew said:

The new passport will be sent under a different DHL airwaybill and different tracking number. You only have the number for the package sent from VFS.

I had not realised that.  I had assumed that the DHL tracking number provided by VFS was for tracking it both ways!  

Thanks for the advice and links.

I received a reply from HMPO as below:

To: ********

Re: Track ********
Message_ID:
X-TSID:
-------------------------------------------

Dear Mr *******

Thank you for your reply.

There has been an issue with payment. Please contact [email protected] or 0191 370 7093.

Thank you,

Customer Service E-Mail Team

However, the fee (88.51 GBP) was deducted from my credit card on 16 September by HMPO.  If there was "an issue", why wasn't I contacted, and why are they holding on to my money?

I received an email from HMPO back in September telling me to allow up to 8 weeks for the renewal, due to the Covid situation, which is why I waited before chasing this up.  Now, it seems that HMPO would have just held on to my payment and not issued my son's passport indefinitely, if I had not contacted them.

I've threatened a complaint and demanded an immediate explanation.

I'm about to collect my replacement UK passport next week. Here's a timeline  of my application.

10-9-20. applied for appointment at Trendy. Told there was a three week waiting time and currently a 6 week processing time, with currently only available on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Given an appointment for 2-10-20

Supplied docs, payment details and application, then received a confirmation email from HMPO the same day, on 2-10-20, confirming the application

2-10-20, also had a text message confirming the application had been forwarded to HMPO Liverpool

Payment deducted from my UK band account on 6-10-20

15-10-20 email from HMPO confirming COVID-19 could delay the process by up to 8 weeks

Just four days later, on 19-10-20 had an email to say my new passport had been delivered to HMPO at Trendy already and was available for collection at any time after 21-10-20, between 11.00am - 13.00pm

21-10-20, received at text from HMPO confirming the new passport had arrived at Trendy and was available for collection after 11.00am on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday 

2 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

I'm about to collect my replacement UK passport next week. Here's a timeline  of my application.

10-9-20. applied for appointment at Trendy. Told there was a three week waiting time and currently a 6 week processing time, with currently only available on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Given an appointment for 2-10-20

Supplied docs, payment details and application, then received a confirmation email from HMPO the same day, on 2-10-20, confirming the application

2-10-20, also had a text message confirming the application had been forwarded to HMPO Liverpool

15-10-20 email from HMPO confirming COVID-19 could delay the process by up to 8 weeks

Just four days later, on 19-10-20 had an email to say my new passport had been delivered to HMPO at Trendy already and was available for collection at any time after 21-10-20, between 11.00am - 13.00pm

21-10-20, received at text from HMPO confirming the new passport had arrived at Trendy and was available for collection after 11.00am on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday 

Yes, my passport renewal a few years ago was also dealt with quickly and efficiently, like yours.

Quite why there has been an issue with my son's, and more importantly why I have received no communication from HMPO regarding it, is the problem I am now faced with.

On 10/21/2020 at 8:05 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

The DHL tracking just shows it was received in Liverpool, UK in early September, but nothing since then.

How did you process the application? I took my application directly to Trendy building myself. I never had any DHL tracking number, just emails and text messages confirming each part of the process. There were also references to links to ask for updates etc. on the receipt given by Trendy for my documents

10 hours ago, colinneil said:

Are they providing the dark blue passports by now, or are they still using up the remaining maroon covers?

On 10/21/2020 at 8:24 PM, NanLaew said:

They hold on to Passports for 30 days.

I applied for 3 passports on 5th October

2 have arrived after only 16 days but no idea about my sons passport.

Waiting to pick them all up in one go as it's a 8 hour round trip to the big smoke.

12 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

Nice timeline but what about the parking/lifts/coffee shops?

14 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Thanks for the advice and links.

I received a reply from HMPO as below:

To: ********

Re: Track ********
Message_ID:
X-TSID:
-------------------------------------------

Dear Mr *******

Thank you for your reply.

There has been an issue with payment. Please contact [email protected] or 0191 370 7093.

Thank you,

Customer Service E-Mail Team

However, the fee (88.51 GBP) was deducted from my credit card on 16 September by HMPO.  If there was "an issue", why wasn't I contacted, and why are they holding on to my money?

I received an email from HMPO back in September telling me to allow up to 8 weeks for the renewal, due to the Covid situation, which is why I waited before chasing this up.  Now, it seems that HMPO would have just held on to my payment and not issued my son's passport indefinitely, if I had not contacted them.

I've threatened a complaint and demanded an immediate explanation.

Yet another incidence of bungiing HMPO incompetence and ineptitude to add to the forever-burgeoning list, I think.

38 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Nice timeline but what about the parking/lifts/coffee shops?

No problem ????. I live in Chonburi so drive to Tesco's car park (4hrs parking costs 100 baht) right next to the On Nut BTS train station (on the Sukumvit) then catch a train to Nana (37 baht each way) and walk the last 100 yards or so to the Trendy building. Coffee shop is inside the entrance to Trendy (there's also a coffee shop at Tesco, On Nut, if you're desperate ????????.

Just a thought.   Whilst £88.51 is the correct fee for a child passport, was your son still considered a child when the payment was taken. I believe from age 16 the adult price of £118.512 or £128.51 is payable.  This fact should it be applicable should have been picked up by VFS when the application was submitted.

24 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Just a thought.   Whilst £88.51 is the correct fee for a child passport, was your son still considered a child when the payment was taken. I believe from age 16 the adult price of £118.512 or £128.51 is payable.  This fact should it be applicable should have been picked up by VFS when the application was submitted.

My son is 5.  

13 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

How did you process the application? I took my application directly to Trendy building myself. I never had any DHL tracking number, just emails and text messages confirming each part of the process. There were also references to links to ask for updates etc. on the receipt given by Trendy for my documents

As stated earlier, I submitted the application at the Trendy.  VFS wrote the DHL tracking number on the receipt.

16 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

Thanks for posting this.

But just goes to show how the new "process" is a vast improvement on the old one i.e. going to the Embassy with your completed application and payment and collecting your new passport a week later!

Of course this must save millions!

Archived