I need a vet willing to help my dog at the end of her life - Mukdahan/Nakhon Phanom

maksida

One of my dogs has Degenerative Myelopathy, an incurable nerve disease which results in paralysis of the legs. She is now finding it very difficult to get to her feet, and nearly impossible to walk. Eventually - could be a matter of days - she will be unable to move. The rest of her body is in relatively good health. She is not in pain, and eats well (although she is doubly incontinent, another nice effect of this disease). She wags her tail, and her spirit is still good.

In the UK I would be thinking ahead to getting her humanely put down. Not immediately, but when she starts to get distressed and obviously suffering. Neither of the vets in my home town (between Muk & Nak) are willing to put her to sleep, no matter how ill she gets. I have to accept this. I do not want this post to be answered with why-oh-why comments about how Thais go about their lives. I need help. I know I cannot put her down myself, so please don't suggest this. It requires an intravenous injection and careful dosage. Missing a vein - easy to do in a dog's leg - would make everything worse. I am not prepared to take that risk. I want a professional, caring vet who can help her end her life painlessly, when the need arises.

Do any of you know vets in this area who have a western approach to euthanasia? Have any of you had similar problems with your dogs or cats? How did you cope?

Please understand I don't need sympathy (my dog gets that!), or personal opinion, no matter how well-intentioned. I need useful information, contacts, and advice, and will be extremely grateful to receive it.

I fully understand your predicament. We had a dog put to sleep by our vet in Khon Kaen and was told it was only possible to do this if the dog had a terminal illness such as cancer, which ours did have.

Reading up on your dog's illness, it  said 'the disease is considered to be eventually fatal' so may be try another vet. The vet we used is many miles from you but if desperate maybe worth a phone call for their opinion/suggestion of a practice near you that may help.

544450.jpg

Have had the same sad position with a Thai Alsatian male dog.   Such dogs have a genetic susceptibility to this debilitating disease.     Our friend had early symptoms with the hind legs crossing, then loss of back legs and finally total immobility.   He tried to go for walks but eventually could no longer stand, his condition deteriorating rapidly within a few days.    It was about 7 months from the first stages to a sudden deterioration.   The dog, when it nears the last stages often goes in to sudden toxic shock caused by acute kidney failure.

In our area there is a wonderful young vet who spent 3 hours with us administering such treatment as to help stop the pain and suffering until it was time to allow / put our friend to sleep.
My sympathies go out to you and your friend and I hope that you can find a caring vet.
We had not long lost a female, our male dogs friend for more than 7 years, she had been savaged and killed by a trained "guard" dog that had got loose, perhaps this was a trigger for the male dogs illness.   Almost a year later he finally joined her.
How do you cope.     If you are able bury her somewhere close, somewhere respectful then do so and if possible give a home to another dog that is in need of friendship / loving and a warm place to sleep.

Thank you for these replies. I'm really hoping to get a contact to put me on the track of a vet who can help in the Nakhon Phanom/Mukdahan area. Kon Khaen is 4-5 hours away and not really an option.

Thanks again.

EDIT: We have been taking in strays for about seven years now and seen our dogs die in various ways, but this is the cruellest. When Dam dies we will still have two dogs to take care of.

Edited by maksida
forgot to add last para

4 minutes ago, maksida said:

Thank you for these replies. I'm really hoping to get a contact to put me on the track of a vet who can help in the Nakhon Phanom/Mukdahan area. Kon Khaen is 4-5 hours away and not really an option.

Thanks again.

If I really cared for the Dog, and did not want the Animal to suffer, then Khon Kaen would be an option.

Just rent a Car and Driver 

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you well in your search.

Just to be clear, I was not saying the vet in KK would be willing to put your pet to sleep, but a phone call to them just may offer some professional advice or have knowledge of another practice closer to your house you could call.

I hope you find your answer soon and your dog does not have to continue to suffer further.

This is up to the individual vet's beliefs.  The first vet who cared for our cats started of the relationship by stating that "he would not kill a cat at our request,"  

Last year, one of his partners, treating a cat with incurable cancer, and clearly in pain, reluctantly agreed, after much pleading, to put her down, and did so with an overdose of anaesthetic.  Said he had never had to do it before and did not know the dose, but thankfully cat went quietly to sleep and then stopped breathing. 

You might try asking other local vets if they will help you.  

I do not believe in 'putting down' any animal just because they have become an inconvenience to their owners, but  I would not to be responsible for its suffering.  When an animal is suffering it will often simple give up,  stop eating, and die

Again, my question is - are there any vets in my area willing to put my dog to sleep? That's what I'm looking for. I have talked to the local vets, as I said in the post, and they are unwilling to help. The time to do this is not now. I am preparing for the future.

All other issues - opinions on what I should do, what you'd do - are not helpful. The problem with this forum is it's too easy to get sidetracked. I'm asking for very specific help here, not starting a debate. Thanks again.

• Like 1

On 10/25/2020 at 12:34 PM, Tmoney said:

I fully understand your predicament. We had a dog put to sleep by our vet in Khon Kaen and was told it was only possible to do this if the dog had a terminal illness such as cancer, which ours did have.

Reading up on your dog's illness, it  said 'the disease is considered to be eventually fatal' so may be try another vet. The vet we used is many miles from you but if desperate maybe worth a phone call for their opinion/suggestion of a practice near you that may help.

544450.jpg

Is that the one next to the Vietnamese consulate? 

20 hours ago, maksida said:

Again, my question is - are there any vets in my area willing to put my dog to sleep? That's what I'm looking for. I have talked to the local vets, as I said in the post, and they are unwilling to help. The time to do this is not now. I am preparing for the future.

All other issues - opinions on what I should do, what you'd do - are not helpful. The problem with this forum is it's too easy to get sidetracked. I'm asking for very specific help here, not starting a debate. Thanks again.

Sorry for your situation, it's heartbreaking having a family member like this. 

I suggest to do it yourself - 

#4 Get the sedatives required for the procedure

For a peaceful and pain-free send-off, you should choose one of the following medications. These are common anesthetics vets use for mercy killing.

• Telazol

It’s a combination of zolazepam and tiletamine. Zolazepam offers valium-like properties. And tiletamine works as a dissociative anesthetic. Individually, both medications are low in terms of pain relief. But when combined, their effect reaches full potential.

• Ketamine

Here’s another dissociative anesthetic. What the drug does is allow your dog to experience the brain and body separately. The result of this is immense pain relief when combined with valium-like drugs.

• Medetomidine

It’s a sedative that provides pain relief for dogs. But it’s expensive for larger breeds.

• Propofol

This one’s quite effective when it comes to working as a sedative. It’s not a widely abused form of medication, thus more accessible to get. However, propofol is quite expensive.

• Acepromazine

It’s a cheaper alternative to medetomidine. Most vets administer acepromazine on aggressive dogs.

But, obviously, before you decide what to pick, consult with your vet. What I am doing here is just giving you a vague idea about the sedatives. The final decision should be made based on the advice of a medical professional.

https://thepettown.com/how-to-euthanize-a-dog-at-home-without-a-vet/

• 2 weeks later...