'People must brace for new-normal lifestyle for at least two years before Covid-19 is contained'

webfact

9 minutes ago, Bluedan said:

yes exactly you beat me to it Peru is a classic example of this. Also consider the timing. Its not disputed that the virus is tramitted quickly and easily. So in the case of Thailand the lockdown occurred about 3 months after the virus first arrived here. So what happened during those 3 months? It waited in a corner for us to lockdown? And no one points this out when crediting the government policy for suppressing it. The imperial college model predicted 80,000 deaths for Sweden if they didn't lockdown. Why can't they admit they got it wrong.

Thailand did not wait 3 months. I bought the last masks available at Chaengwattana Complex B on Jan 16 the day I renewed my visa. People were already concerned and the govt and hospitals quickly responded.

More importantly, a point everyone skips over, Thailand and most of Asia was hit with a much less infective version of the virus compared to the fast moving 614G mutation that hit Europe and then the US. This is now well established.

1 minute ago, rabas said:

Thailand did not wait 3 months. I bought the last masks available at Chaengwattana Complex B on Jan 16 the day I renewed my visa. People were already concerned and the govt and hospitals quickly responded.

More importantly, a point everyone skips over, Thailand and most of Asia was hit with a much less infective version of the virus compared to the fast moving 614G mutation that hit Europe and then the US. This is now well established.

there is debate as to how effective if at all face masks are. Lockdown is the main measure we are debating anyway. I consider masks an inconvenience not a an economic killer. Lockdown was at the end of march, 3 months after the virus came here 

• Like 2

I used to be with ‘it’, but then they changed what ‘it’ was. Now what I’m with isn’t ‘it’ anymore and what’s ‘it’ seems weird and scary. It’ll happen to you!

- Grandpa Simpson

2 minutes ago, Bluedan said:

there is debate as to how effective if at all face masks are. Lockdown is the main measure we are debating anyway. I consider masks an inconvenience not a an economic killer. Lockdown was at the end of march, 3 months after the virus came here 

My point was the date Jan 16 and that Thailand took action early. Not about masks.

To split hairs. Physics tells us exactly how well any mask will work when worn properly. And they work well. Whether people wear them, also protect their eyes and clean their hands, or protest and expose themselves to risk is a behavioural and regulatory issue.

Clearly both are issues. But I often object to the poorly thought out comment that "masks don't work". Such comments can harm many who otherwise desire to take reasonable precaution when needed.

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Stick with Fauci, or one from the NIH, etc.  Hard to go wrong with Fauci.  45 years in infectious diseases.  And not political at all.  If someone bashes Fauci, they're a covid denier.

But as you previously suggested, Fauci is vulnerable to misrepresentation by Trump/media/alt-right/et al.

How can I follow him when he doesn't have the ability to speak directly to me?

As usual with any thread about this has just turned into covid deniers taking over. A bunch of scientific illiterate expats who because they have seen the odd youtube video and seen a couple of graphs consider themselves now to be world leading experts. In fact they now consider themselves to know more than people who have dedicated their whole lives guys.

So well done i will not be back on here. You can continure to congratulate yourselves on your knowledge and how the whole thing is a scam. Meanwhile people around the world continue to die from this disease. But hey I guess I should be listening to a couple of old guys posting on TV rather than listening to real scientists.

• Sad 2

5 hours ago, simon43 said:

Yes I have.  But here in Laos there have been no deaths from Covid and only about 22 cases, most of which have recovered and left hospital.  Nothing in my lifestyle has changed at all, with the exception of postponing a shopping trip to Bangkok.  I always wore a mask when entering shops anyway (I don't to spread any kind of airborne pathogen and don't want those from others).  Many people in the shops do likewise.

So no consideration or understanding of the medium ,long term economic effects of shut borders,closed down tourist industries on both a local and global level. That WILL eventually effect your lifestyle.

1 minute ago, nchuckle said:

So no consideration or understanding of the medium ,long term economic effects of shut borders,closed down tourist industries on both a local and global level. That WILL eventually effect your lifestyle.

I really can't see how it would affect my lifestyle. I would say that my lifestyle is better now than before Covid. Cost of some things in my budget have reduced.

4 minutes ago, polpott said:

I really can't see how it would affect my lifestyle. I would say that my lifestyle is better now than before Covid. Cost of some things in my budget have reduced.

maybe not you personally although it may be an eyesore to see people begging or in charity food queues 

3 minutes ago, polpott said:

Your understanding is akin to the guy who falls from a skyscraper and is heard to say as he passes each floor , 'so far so good'. ???? 

You May be insulated compared to say the unemployed hotel worker,but when you become surrounded by many more that have been effected ,directly or indirectly ,the wide ranging knock on effects of upsetting the delicate economic imbalance can be very wide ranging. 

1 minute ago, nchuckle said:

Your understanding is akin to the guy who falls from a skyscraper and is heard to say as he passes each floor , 'so far so good'. ???? 

You May be insulated compared to say the unemployed hotel worker,but when you become surrounded by many more that have been effected ,directly or indirectly ,the wide ranging knock on effects of upsetting the delicate economic imbalance can be very wide ranging. 

Trust me, not for me.

The poorer people around me get, the richer I get. Not that I would want or advocate that, its just a fact.

7 minutes ago, polpott said:

i was helping out with the food queues during lockdown. Not a problem.

well good for you. So I assume you are a compassionate person and despite being ok for now you empathize with the despair of others 

2 hours ago, Miami007 said:

The concept of herd immunity is being debunked in the USA. 

Basically,  the 2 years timeline is the same as the Spanish Flu 100 years ago.  No vaccines back then and no border closures but masks recommended. 

The lockdowns reduced R, which means it'll take longer than Spanish Flu. As long as R>1, the virus will keep spreading. The effect of the measures is to lengthen the time it takes for the virus to play out. So, likely more than 2 years. The IFR seems to be dropping though.

1 minute ago, Bluedan said:

well good for you. So I assume you are a compassionate person and despite being ok for now you empathize with the despair of others 

Absolutely. My village had food giveaways during the lockdown. My wife instigated them.I gave around 1k baht each time (i suspect more). Now if I spend time with a girl in a bar, I will tip 200 as opposed to 100 before. Its good to give. Buddha likes me.