Why are many teachers COWARDS?? Hear me out...

Ventenio

First, I'll be the first to admit I was a coward.   I saw kids get hit HARD, smacked, slapped, ears pulled, head hit, you name it.....

But I woke up and reported them to the police.  I've done this twice .........   yes, I waited until after I got paid, had a work permit, and nothing happened because it wasn't recorded.  I was a coward for not quitting IMMEDIATELY......we know how bad it is for these kids.

But I really believe I have done way more than most.  I quit a job after I saw a farang teacher break Thai laws in the classroom (no camera) and the school's response to my complaint wasn't sufficient.  Yes, I waited until after I got paid.

I just can't live my life seeing this.....but sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many teachers let it go.  

I know why.... the visa and a paycheck.

But come on, aren't we better than that?

• Confused 4
  • Haha 1

as an instructor in Kuwait I wanted to shoot a few of the trainees, let alone pull their ear, lol - I don't envy anyone doing that job. When you start banging around the kids perhaps it's gone past the the burnt out stage though who's going to determine that, a foreigner?. Trouble is you're teaching in their playground, you don't think others also notice these things? A foreigner will never change that mindset, that will only come from Thai's wanting the change of discipline options that are adhered to in the classroom.. 

• Like 1

I've worked at four schools with probably hundreds of teachers.  Maybe I've worked with about 30 farang teachers.  

let me give you an example.  you wake up at 6, tired.  put on the right color, ok.  go to school, fingerprint, wai everyone.   go sit in your room.  

you then finally wake up around 8, see some good kids (99.99% of the kids are great) who make you smile, and you walk to go "teach". you are walking with another teacher.

you see some lady with a ruler cracking some kid in his (usually a boy) back, hand, wherever, and the kid starts crying...

i'm too stubborn for this, i give the teacher a bad look (does no good).  The other teacher smiles, wais, afraid to even say anything.

the kid is like 8 or 9

this isn't my life

and i've never seen another farang teacher leave over this......

a school asked me, 'i wonder why this class is so bad?'    oh, i don't know, the teacher hits them all the time.....maybe?  (i didn't say that)

my point:   farangs come to Thailand to "help" these kids, but they are afraid.  makes them a worthless teacher, if you ask me.

i just wonder why so many teachers come here and don't have a backbone.   

LAST YEAR it became against Thai law to touch kids like this.   

I'm not talking about 10-years ago.....then i'm sure they could do anything.  

foreign "teachers" know it's illegal now.....but.............they...... are..............cowards to help these kids

i'm not talking about some trainee who over 18 years old and can fight for themselves.  

Edited by Ventenio
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

On 10/27/2020 at 8:04 PM, from the home of CC said:

as an instructor in Kuwait I wanted to shoot a few of the trainees, let alone pull their ear, lol - I don't envy anyone doing that job. When you start banging around the kids perhaps it's gone past the the burnt out stage though who's going to determine that, a foreigner?. Trouble is you're teaching in their playground, you don't think others also notice these things? A foreigner will never change that mindset, that will only come from Thai's wanting the change of discipline options that are adhered to in the classroom.. 

When I was an instructor with RSAF if we had any problems with the trainees just a word to the Colonel and they’d be out in the sun at attention for an hour.

• Like 1

and i've never seen another farang teacher leave over this......

It happened nine years ago at a primary school somewhere in Isaan. 

A foreign teacher got caught with a P. 5 girl, she was 11, in one of the toilets.

Neither the coppers nor the parents were informed of that "incident."/

I had a massive fight with the Thai headteacher, but there's no way that they'd have reported him to the cops and informed the parents.

I went to the Tourist Police, but they were not interested in going after him.

Do you believe that we should all quit because others do something wrong?

How does that make others cowards? 

Perhaps, you remember the foreign teacher who complained about the way the Thai teacher disciplined a young boy, who <deleted> himself.  The child was made to sit naked from the waist down.  Guess who ended up at the police station for a five hour "interview."

2 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

I went to the Tourist Police, but they were not interested in going after him.

per title, i used the word "many"  

you are NOT one of the many, you are one of the STRONG.

the cowards are the ones who see bad stuff and do nothing, or say "it's not my country" or "I can't lose my visa".   

yes, we really can only complain about other farangs.  but it's a start.  it's just so ridiculous farangs go to Thailand, work with horrible farangs who abuse or touch kids, and then the other farangs (or foreign teachers not called farangs) do absolutely nothing.

i had a teacher tell me he saw another farang beat a student in class, and i told him i'll have him talk to my police friend.  his face went white, he then said it was in another country, and really never talked to me after that.  very typical.

one "teacher" was fondling a 14 year old girl.  i told the school, and he didn't work there again; HOWEVER, the other THREE farang teachers who saw it told me they "can't" go to the director with me...

these stories never end......   yes, these were years ago.  

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I would think confronting the Thai teacher directly, on the spot, would be the best bet if done well and appropriate to the infraction. Thai teachers know it's not ok to treat the kids poorly and a gentle but respectful shaming might be effective. However a farange teacher hitting kids deserves a beating on the spot. You would be a coward if you didn't respond aggressively in that situation.

On 10/27/2020 at 5:33 AM, steven100 said:

they need the job ....  they need the 20,000 baht a month to pay for their room and cheap beer.  

There is no cheap beer, it's an urban legend. :burp:

Edited by EVENKEEL

• 3 weeks later...