US and Thailand partner to boost infrastructure finance

webfact

US and Thailand partner to boost infrastructure finance

By THE NATION

800_2cad08390f86ff6.jpg?v=1603803704

Finance Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith met with US Ambassador Michael George DeSombre on Tuesday to exchange copies of the Framework to Strengthen Infrastructure Finance and Market Building Cooperation, signed by the two countries on September 22.

The initiative is aimed at supporting infrastructure development through market-oriented, private sector investment.

Under the framework, the US and Thailand will address regulatory, market, and legal barriers to private sector investment by focusing on the development of financial instruments, project finance, the local debt market, and capital markets.

The US and Thailand will highlight the framework at the Indo-Pacific Business Forum in Hanoi on Wednesday (October 28).

The US said the engagement supports its wider Indo-Pacific Strategy by complementing ongoing efforts under the Enhancing Development and Growth through Energy (Asia EDGE) and the Infrastructure Transaction and Assistance Network (ITAN).

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30396879

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-10-28

"Pivot baby pivot - and then maybe we can work on your 'hybrid-war" problems.  Maybe.  If your good.  If your not, ala Michael Ledeen, perhaps you become this season's crappy little country that gets thrown against the wall to prove that the US is still serious.  Pivot baby pivot."

13 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

So that the USA has something to protect in Thailand. If there isn't any investment then Americans will not support spilling patriotic blood to chase the Chinese out.

In Thailand case, " USA has something to protect "  this has always been the thinking of every President in office but there comes a time we need to evaluate what that might be and if it is worth it. Thailand leaders has clearly shown it is on the side of the Chinese so why continue to try to buy their support?  I say like the PHL, they have made their bed now let them sleep in it. This is why America is broke it is the intend of the Chinese to place their cards everywhere knowing the Americans will up the ante and force our attention from real problems this is where I agree to disagree with you.

At this point I go with " you either with us or against us " pick the lesser of the two evils? If countries think China is the future then pick them and stop playing both sides and having their hands out.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Why any government involvement?  American businessmen can't figure things out for themselves?

All capitalists understand that it's to their benefit to have their governments provide the veiled threats and actual violence, if needed, to drive a wedge into smaller counties in order to crack them open to be harvested by corporate interests.  It's called "spreading liberty and democracy in a rules based international order.
Economic fascism is actually a very efficient and effective economic model when applied to supporting global business interests of Western nations.

In the meanwhile, that Nong Khai high-speed rail link will go over like a lead balloon. 

Yeah, Thailand will attempt to play both sides off the middle but I don't think they have the sophistication to make it work. Watch the "streets" and you'll know what the US thinks of Thai policy.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Thailand leaders has clearly shown it is on the side of the Chinese so why continue to try to buy their support?

Because . . . a lot of State Department people enjoy the posting here, I guess. At the very least, the US should immediately begin to downgrade its embassy and consulates, sanction any Thai businesses operating as fronts for Chinese state owned enterprises, and erect tariffs that match those put on US goods. In the meantime, if American citizens are not allowed into Thailand on the same basis as Chinese citizens, then Thai exports should not be allowed into the US.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, John Drake said:

Because . . . a lot of State Department people enjoy the posting here, I guess. At the very least, the US should immediately begin to downgrade its embassy and consulates, sanction any Thai businesses operating as fronts for Chinese state owned enterprises, and erect tariffs that match those put on US goods. In the meantime, if American citizens are not allowed into Thailand on the same basis as Chinese citizens, then Thai exports should not be allowed into the US.

I agree when clearly the U.S. government leaders on  both side " The Swamp " the reason we are in this mess.  I'm not saying " Isolate " from the rest of the world I'm saying lets tighten the belt so we aren't kicking out money so freely to study how a " poppy " grows in China in the cold or throwing money into a lab in Wuhan that can't seem to contain what is leaving.

It isn't just China countries around the world has been taking advantage and who blames them when our leaders are out to buy and nation built everywhere around the world then those same leaders when broke start saying I'm entitled to my S.S.

????

• Like 1