Where To Buy A New Desktop Computer In Pattaya

PattayaDavid

I want to purchase a new desktop computer as I only have a laptop at present.  I want to view a larger LCD than that on my laptop and I'm not sure whether my older model laptop will support a new high resolution widescreen LCD.  Also, I would like a faster computer capable of handling multi-tasking as I like to work with a number of programs open simultaneously.   I'm not a gamer, but I do want a desktop with a good dedicated graphics card, not a cheap cost savings onboard graphics chip that many OEM install.  As I said, I need it to support multi-media, multi-tasking and a high resolution widescreen LCD. I see it pointless to opt for a processor less than that of a Intel Core 2 Duo. I think middle of the road processor would be fine, maybe 2.4Ghz, the top of the line model processor is always overpriced. I prefer Intel processors over those of AMD. I think that 2GB of DDR2 memory is sufficient, but I would probably go with 4GB as I've read that 2GB is the minimum recommended for Windows Vista, when and if I install Vista. I prefer a RAID system with 2 SATA hard drives, one for work and one for backup. The usual accessories such as DVD+/-R/RW with lightscribe capability, multiple USB/Firewire ports, 2 DVI connectors for the capability of connecting 2 LCD's, possibly a memory card reader, built-in bluetooth for use with wireless keyboard, mouse and printer connection, wireless lan etc. I will choose my LCD display separately.  I would welcome any recommendations as to how to configure my new d

sktop, name and model of components etc.

Most of the OEM systems I've seen have onboard graphics chips so I doubt I can find an OEM system to suit my needs.

Living in Pattaya, I am probably limited to purchasing at Tukcom, but I welcome the names of other shops. Where would be the best place to purchase the desktop I've described in Pattaya or even in Tukcom? What can I expect to pay for a medium to highend model minus the LCD's?

Thanks,

Pattaya David

Edited by PattayaDavid

Hi

I suggest that you should talk to Nalon at DCO - located in Pattaya Klang, a bit further towards Sukhumvit than Carrefour. Set back from the road there are some shop-houses and DCO is the first one that you come to.

I have bought stuff off DCO for the past couple of years and have never had any complaints. You can discuss your requirements with Nalon and he will put together a system for you at a very reasonable price. And, if you do have any problems with the equipment he will sort it for you.

Tel. 038360350 (shop) or 0817817612 (Nalon's mobile)

DM

Always buy in Wattana shop;opposite Foodland on Pattaya Klang

Good advices good service (delivery schedule);good after sales service(sometimes at home for wifi config for example);competitive prices

Received a new LCD on guarantee and they lended me a printer during repair time of mine

Don't recommend you go to Liberty Co.

Why not?? I have found them excellent in the past, the Manager even questioning his technicians diagnosis to the point of getting a second opinion!

Work always carried out promptly and comes with a guarentee, perhaps you have had a problem that would appear not to have been resolved?

I think its a bit unfair to say not to use a business without claryifying the remark.

I replied also in the thread you posted in the Internet, Technology... forum.

My suggestion is to look at Thanni.com for a good idea of the prices. If they are significantly lower than tukcom, I would think about getting the major components at least through them. Also look at this thread, I found it very informative:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=117903

I want to purchase a new desktop computer as I only have a laptop at present.  I want to view a larger LCD than that on my laptop and I'm not sure whether my older model laptop will support a new high resolution widescreen LCD.  Also, I would like a faster computer capable of handling multi-tasking as I like to work with a number of programs open simultaneously.   I'm not a gamer, but I do want a desktop with a good dedicated graphics card, not a cheap cost savings onboard graphics chip that many OEM install.  As I said, I need it to support multi-media, multi-tasking and a high resolution widescreen LCD. I see it pointless to opt for a processor less than that of a Intel Core 2 Duo. I think middle of the road processor would be fine, maybe 2.4Ghz, the top of the line model processor is always overpriced. I prefer Intel processors over those of AMD. I think that 2GB of DDR2 memory is sufficient, but I would probably go with 4GB as I've read that 2GB is the minimum recommended for Windows Vista, when and if I install Vista. I prefer a RAID system with 2 SATA hard drives, one for work and one for backup. The usual accessories such as DVD+/-R/RW with lightscribe capability, multiple USB/Firewire ports, 2 DVI connectors for the capability of connecting 2 LCD's, possibly a memory card reader, built-in bluetooth for use with wireless keyboard, mouse and printer connection, wireless lan etc. I will choose my LCD display separately.  I would welcome any recommendations as to how to configure my new d

sktop, name and model of components etc.

Most of the OEM systems I've seen have onboard graphics chips so I doubt I can find an OEM system to suit my needs.

Living in Pattaya, I am probably limited to purchasing at Tukcom, but I welcome the names of other shops. Where would be the best place to purchase the desktop I've described in Pattaya or even in Tukcom? What can I expect to pay for a medium to highend model minus the LCD's?

Thanks,

Pattaya David

Unless your current laptop is a dinosaur, it's highly likely it will support an extra monitor. Just check at the back for a port. There's a great advantage in running an LCD off the laptop in that you can use both monitors simultaneously in extended desktop mode. It's hard to go back to a single screen once you get used to extended desktops. Personally I run a 19" LCD together with my 15" laptop screen.

I received some valuable responses and recommendations from most of you and to those posters who took my thread seriously, you have my gratitude.

To the two great independent thinkers (you know who you are) who have nothing better to do than to impose their ignorance upon others with truly intellectually astonishing responses, "Just walk around TukCom and compare prices. What more do you need ?" and "Ditto, if u need someone to hold yr hand, I can do that 300b / hr.", get a life.

I've lived here in Pattaya for almost three years and have visited Tukcom many times, however I have never shopped for a computer system before. It's always best to go in with eyes wide open knowing which shops can be trusted and which ones to avoid. Reviewing my computer requirements, I'm now quite sure that I won't be able to find a ready made OEM model that will suffice, I will have to have one built. I will checkout all of the shops recommended before I settle make any committment. Again, thanks to all who provided constructive posts.

David

I'd agree, buy where the competition makes sure prices are best: Tukcom. Avoid: DCO (just compare their stock with what you find in the Tukcom shops, they never have ANYTHING in stock, plus the place is positively filthy, I think they never cleaned the place since moving in). Also avoid supermarkets - the PC's are cheap but substandard components and zero support if you have any problems later.

Would recommend Hardware House and the shop just next to it (Sorry forgot the name) - both 3rd floor, Tukcom.

PattayaDavid

Since you know more or less what you want, I recommend you go to Tukcom since all the shops in there are competing for your biz. Shop around, and have some "fun" I've bought several computers there the last couple of years, that I've put together myself, and the quality of the parts are as good as you'll get them in the west. By that I mean that they have all the big brands, and they have ppl. to put it together for you if you don't mind doing it yourself. If you choose this option check that they actually put in the parts you bought :o , other than that you should have nothing to worry about.

buying an OEM in Thailand is worthless, since they come with all sorts of substandard components, and as you might know, warranties are not what they seems to be in developed countries.

good luck

Morty

I've bought several...

I think there's two main shops for the second hand laptop's, one's called "Famous", not sure about the other one.

Famous is a bit more expensive, but the one machine I bought there and ended up having a problem (PCMCIA port didn't work) was replaced without any hassle.

Both shops offer a 1 month guarantee, so it gives you the time to check the thing over! Mostly, if they work 3 weeks they'll also work 3 months (and more hopefully)!

Just realize the batteries will be worthless. They don't last long to start with, and are expensive to replace.

One of the two shops is able to put new cells in battery packs, but this is still quite expensive...

Not sure what your needs are, but with the low prices of new basic machines, you might be better of buying a new one!

In my case, the reason for buying the second hand ones, was to have less attractive looking machines, hoping nobody would nick them, since they are used in a public place :o

I want to purchase a new desktop computer as I only have a laptop at present. I want to view a larger LCD than that on my laptop and I'm not sure whether my older model laptop will support a new high resolution widescreen LCD. Also, I would like a faster computer capable of handling multi-tasking as I like to work with a number of programs open simultaneously. I'm not a gamer, but I do want a desktop with a good dedicated graphics card, not a cheap cost savings onboard graphics chip that many OEM install. As I said, I need it to support multi-media, multi-tasking and a high resolution widescreen LCD. I see it pointless to opt for a processor less than that of a Intel Core 2 Duo. I think middle of the road processor would be fine, maybe 2.4Ghz, the top of the line model processor is always overpriced. I prefer Intel processors over those of AMD. I think that 2GB of DDR2 memory is sufficient, but I would probably go with 4GB as I've read that 2GB is the minimum recommended for Windows Vista, when and if I install Vista. I prefer a RAID system with 2 SATA hard drives, one for work and one for backup. The usual accessories such as DVD+/-R/RW with lightscribe capability, multiple USB/Firewire ports, 2 DVI connectors for the capability of connecting 2 LCD's, possibly a memory card reader, built-in bluetooth for use with wireless keyboard, mouse and printer connection, wireless lan etc. I will choose my LCD display separately. I would welcome any recommendations as to how to configure my new desktop, name and model of components etc.

Thanks,

Pattaya David

PD, whoever you go with for purchase & assembly, i recommend Asus mobo's. i have never had a bad motherboard yet and i have assembled over a dozen PC's using their products.

I replied also in the thread you posted in the Internet, Technology... forum.

My suggestion is to look at Thanni.com for a good idea of the prices. If they are significantly lower than tukcom, I would think about getting the major components at least through them. Also look at this thread, I found it very informative:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=117903

Jimmyd,

Thanks for the great link.  As Morty said, I have a pretty good idea of what configuration I want, but until now I have been clueless as to what model of components would meet my configuration expectations.  The link gave me a good start point for components to consider.  I also downloaded the item pricelist from BUSITEK, in Pantip, which also gives me an idea of available components and relative costs.  If anyone knows of a component, motherboard, graphics card, DVD R/W, tower case, cooling devices etc., I would appreciate hearing about it.

Pattaya David

PS. Jimmyd, thanks for your offer to chat concerning my desktop options. I may take you up on this after I visit Tukcom to see what is available.

Edited by PattayaDavid

Hi

I suggest that you should talk to Nalon at DCO - located in Pattaya Klang, a bit further towards Sukhumvit than Carrefour. Set back from the road there are some shop-houses and DCO is the first one that you come to.

I have bought stuff off DCO for the past couple of years and have never had any complaints. You can discuss your requirements with Nalon and he will put together a system for you at a very reasonable price. And, if you do have any problems with the equipment he will sort it for you.

Tel. 038360350 (shop) or 0817817612 (Nalon's mobile)

DM

I second doctormann. Have had very good luck with Nalon in all my dealings with him. Went to one of the Tuckom shops to have some data taken off of a hard drive and they wasted three hours of my time and never got my data. Nalon was able to get me what I needed onto my flash drive in 5 minutes. Had him price a desk top system for me and then compared the prices of the components with what he quoted and in all cases his prices were the same if not better than the lowest vendors at Tuckom. But most importantly, he will stand behind what he installs.

LSM