US cuts $817 million in trade preferences for Thailand under GSP

webfact

7 minutes ago, Ireland32 said:

Pork quality has been declining, it’s not that tasty anymore 

I'm originally from what was the second biggest pork producing county in the US, and my agribusiness father said the problem is that the American consumer wants meat to be more and more lean, but though that can be accomplished, the flavor declines.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Traubert said:

Quite. It's probably full of growth hormone anyway. Thats why the Chinese wouldn't buy it.

Not true. U.S. pork sales to China are on the rise.  The Chinese now own Smithfield Foods, a major U.S. pork producer

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Traubert said:

Wouldn't. Not won't.

China has lost 100 million pigs to the African swine fever, a third of their pig population and recent floods have made the situation worse.  Pork prices have skyrocketed increasing the demand for imported pork. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hawaiian said:

China has lost 100 million pigs to the African swine fever, a third of their pig population and recent floods have made the situation worse.  Pork prices have skyrocketed increasing the demand for imported pork. 

Perhaps you'd like to inform them then?

https://english.sina.cn/buz/2020-10-16/detail-iiznezxr6281244.d.html

7 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Without wanting to defend Trump, who I suspect doesn't even know where or what is this thing called Thailand. Isn't the role of any Government in the world, to act in defense of their own people?

As a American Trump to me is a typical of many don't know the difference between Thailand and Taiwan. This goes for nearly all government represents who have never stay for 2 or 3 days then return and think they know everything that is going on! They talk a good game smooth that is the difference with Trump who has a big mouth typical locker room talk.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, thailand49 said:

As a American Trump to me is a typical of many don't know the difference between Thailand and Taiwan. This goes for nearly all government represents who have never stay for 2 or 3 days then return and think they know everything that is going on! They talk a good game smooth that is the difference with Trump who has a big mouth typical locker room talk.

I can see the value in knowing in and about Taiwan. But why would American politicians need to trouble themselves with Thailand? What good is it to them? If tomorrow morning the Chinese flag went up all over Thailand, would it make any difference at all to US interests? The only country the US is concerned with in this region is Vietnam. Strategically and economically Thailand simply doesn't register.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Cali farong said:

Thailand can afford it.  They have the backing of Xi

and Putin.

BTW, I wouldn't eat the 'pork' that the US is trying to sell Thailand. I don't even think the Thai's eat much ears, lips, tongue, intestines, etc...   The 'pork products' are scraps that most of the world doesn't eat. Thai's actually do use those discarded pieces of the pig. I am led to believe.

6 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Reciprocity is a biaaatsch. Next, immigration requirements. Mandatory GPS trackers for all Thais.

And catching all those thousands of Thais who go on student or tourist visas or even employment visas for Thai restaurants but who end up doing Thai massage and Handjobs and other illegal activity. 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

and Putin.

BTW, I wouldn't eat the 'pork' that the US is trying to sell Thailand. I don't even think the Thai's eat much ears, lips, tongue, intestines, etc...   The 'pork products' are scraps that most of the world doesn't eat. Thai's actually do use those discarded pieces of the pig. I am led to believe.

Where do you think your Oscar Meyer hot dogs come from...lol

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

and Putin.

There are Thai dishes that specifically call for what you label scraps.  And you would be surprised how many other ethnic foods contain these so-called scraps.  The problem with the processing and canning of  these products is the nitrates that are used as a preservative.

13 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

You need the EU to follow Trump's lead. HP sauce is made in Holland - has been for some years.

It is also produced in the US of A

Also, on the pig thing.  China has a top down authoritarian form of government.  China had to slaughter and destroy over 100 million hogs last year because of the African Swine Flu epidemic.  They have maintained food and economic stability so far by using some of the needed breeding stock for food.  This is obviously a temporary response to a disastrous event

They have, to coin an American phrase "kicked that can down the road"

People and countries may be better served by offering them certified superior breeding stock.  If your point has been made, continuing to "bitch slap" a potential profitable client does seem to be a bit counter productive.

17 hours ago, John Drake said:

I can see the value in knowing in and about Taiwan. But why would American politicians need to trouble themselves with Thailand? What good is it to them? If tomorrow morning the Chinese flag went up all over Thailand, would it make any difference at all to US interests? The only country the US is concerned with in this region is Vietnam. Strategically and economically Thailand simply doesn't register.

Doesn't mean I agree!  but the problem is like greed  people and countries do what they do because they don't want someone else to have it or control it.  Put your thinking cap on why is it that U.S. has such a big and powerful Embassy in Bangkok?  Military wise if not still they do the training for the Thai so call Navy seals, in Bangkok their top police or whatever you want to call them get training from the U.S. C.I.A. F.B.I it is all there.

When Obama was in office at deal was close with Yingluck to reopen a Naval base at Sattahip in return for cheap Coal  the list goes on as for interest just as the list for China is long even longer!

20 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

why is it that U.S. has such a big and powerful Embassy in Bangkok?  Military wise if not still they do the training for the Thai so call Navy seals, in Bangkok their top police or whatever you want to call them get training from the U.S. C.I.A. F.B.I it is all there.

The embassy is a relic of the Vietnam and Cold Wars, when Thailand was the only accessible country in SE Asia. Training? Peanuts. And I would never share anything with the Thais, because they simply pass whatever they learn or get from the US directly to China. Downgrade the embassy. Sell the land. The British did, and that was a smart thing to do. Relocate the US embassy to the third floor of some unused condo building.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1