If under 50 will a marriage visa allow you to remain in Thailand?

giddyup

Just had a discussion with a neighbour who said if you are married to a Thai, but under 50, you can remain in Thailand indefinitely, is this true? Reason I asked is because there are a couple of young guys (30's) in my village that have been living here for quite a while, both are married (or at least shacked up) with Thai ladies, and both have kids. I just wondered how they manage to stay for so long, and on what kind of visa. It's not my business, but I'm curious how someone supports themselves here at that age, unless it's from a large inheritance.

Edited by giddyup
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, CraigInBangkok said:

I am on a marriage visa and get yearly extensions. You can apply for a work permit but only if you want to work inside a thai registered company (which I found to be a miserable experience). 

You don't say if you are under 50 and if you have to deposit the 400K in a Thai bank.

4 minutes ago, JAFO said:

It is my understanding, that is true.  Age is not a requirement as long as you show a marriage verification and sustain 400K in the bank. They can then apply for annual extensions..

Its quite a list of things you need including photos inside and outside of your house,affidavit saying you were single when married, marriage certificate, updated doc saying you are still married each year, statements from the bank a few days before apply, bank book when you apply and when you go back to collect the extension, rental agreement and wifes blue book. They may also come for a visit when you are under consideration each year. Sure I forgot some things from the list but I think if you meet all the requirements and married legally you should be ok.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

Its quite a list of things you need including photos inside and outside of your house,affidavit saying you were single when married, marriage certificate, updated doc saying you are still married each year, statements from the bank a few days before apply, bank book when you apply and when you go back to collect the extension, rental agreement and wifes blue book. They may also come for a visit when you are under consideration each year. Sure I forgot some things from the list but I think if you meet all the requirements and married legally you should be ok.  

Oh Yeah, didn't discuss details. ????  Once you have done it a few years its a cake walk once you set up the template. My wife and I can prepare all the docs in about an hour, Then a quick stop at the bank for the income info which I do on my way to the appt and drop it all off.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

There is only a home visit the first year, no rental agreement if you live in your/your wife’s property, bank letter may have to be the day of application for all kinds of extension, depending on the office you use.

No more documents needed after application, depending on the office you use.

Read the information your office can give you, no difficulties if you have the required documents.

2 minutes ago, JAFO said:

Oh Yeah, didn't discuss details. ????  Once you have done it a few years its a cake walk once you set up the template. My wife and I can prepare all the docs in about an hour, Then a quick stop at the bank for the income info which I do on my way to the appt and drop it all off.

My first one was a real pain in the backside ... I had  just left my work so had very little time to do it without leaving the country. The list is/was slightly different in English and Thai. I think the English version did'nt mention the affidavit from my embassy and the IO was insistent on it and for some (still unknown) reason we didnt have it. When we tried to get it from the office where they registered the marriage, the guy said they don't keep them. Anyway wife made some calls and was told the guy was lying because its illegal to destroy documents. So we went back again and after he got off his chair and went into a back room he magically found it 2 minutes later. 

It was all good after that.

If you marry a Thai citizen, you can get a Type-O visa and then apply for yearly extensions of stay. After you get the 1-year extension, you have to do 90-day reports at the IO where you live. You can keep getting yearly extensions and don't ever have to leave the country. You can do this at any age (though there probably is a minimum age-18??).

The marriage has to be done and officially registered at an amphoe in order to get the visa and subsequent extensions. There are also financial requirements--you need to keep minimum 400k baht in a solely-held account at a Thai bank or be able to show minimum 40k baht of income per month (though I believe if it is a foreign woman married to a Thai man, there are no financial requirements).

As to how those guys are supporting themselves, it could be anything--savings, inheritances, online businesses, stock trading, etc. Unlike retirement extensions, if you have a marriage extension, you can legally work in Thailand, after getting a work permit, of course. 

Maybe their wives are paying the bills--I've seen that happen here. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

When we tried to get it from the office where they registered the marriage

My wife and I were married in the states so we had the marriage doc.  Did not need to register it here. 

But to your point, the first one was complicated only because you are navigating the process. After a few...no problem

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unless you register your marriage in Thailand you are not considered married officially in Thailand. Before registering your marriage in Thailand be sure to get a lawyer to draw up a prenuptial agreement which will be of value in Thailand. Your overseas assets probably can't be covered but they maybe. I have been married 16 years and never went the marriage Visa route the regulations are extremely strict and difficult to follow. You are under 50 and have no choice. 

Edited by JusticeGB
Typo
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

Just had a discussion with a neighbour who said if you are married to a Thai, but under 50, you can remain in Thailand indefinitely, is this true? Reason I asked is because there are a couple of young guys (30's) in my village that have been living here for quite a while, both are married (or at least shacked up) with Thai ladies, and both have kids. I just wondered how they manage to stay for so long, and on what kind of visa. It's not my business, but I'm curious how someone supports themselves here at that age, unless it's from a large inheritance.

Any guy under 50 can stay in Thailand if legally married to a Thai or can stay if unmarried but supporting their Thai child

There are numerous ways they can support themselves . You only need 400,000 baht  in  a Thai bank for 2 months when aplying or show income of 40,000 baht  a month to stay here. Those who go to Savanaket during normal times can get a 1 year visa based on marriage for 5,000 baht  with no need to prove financcials.  Some work as school teachers, digital nomads or work for overseas companies online. Some work foreign companies here in Thailand or have rental income from properties  overseas. With rentry permits or mulible entry marriage visa they can go home and work for awhile and then return after saving up enough money. It's really not much more difficult than a retirement visa once  you have done one.

Edited by Tony125

6 hours ago, giddyup said:

Personal question, but how do you support yourself?

Some under 50's are lucky with inheritance or living on a rental income from a large property back home, there are thousands who make money through an online business and also those who just living on loans and credit cards. Also don't forget those who invested some money to start a business here.

I’m moved to Thailand when I was 37. I use a Thai Elite visa. Was easy enough to pay for by freelancing as software developer back home (earning about 10.000 EUR a month back home).

So depending on profession you don’t really need to get a big inheritance.

Working remotely that kind of income might be possible as well in Thailand, especially since the Covid situation has made working from home more acceptable. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

Unless you register your marriage in Thailand you are not considered married officially in Thailand. Before registering your marriage in Thailand be sure to get a lawyer to draw up a prenuptial agreement which will be of value in Thailand. Your overseas assets probably can't be covered but they maybe. I have been married 16 years and never went the marriage Visa route the regulations are extremely strict and difficult to follow. You are under 50 and have no choice. 

I'm not sure what regulations you're talking about but from start to finish I had the required documents and got married in 3 days. 30 days later I had my extension. 

10 hours ago, giddyup said:

You don't say if you are under 50 and if you have to deposit the 400K in a Thai bank.

if you know it why do you ask ?

anyway who would not know that people with kids or wife can stay as long as they want ? How long have you been on this forum ?

ridiculous.

• Haha 1

I'm 43 and have been living here 3 years. I haven't worked since a particularly nasty motorcycle accident in 2014. I live off of a fairly extensive share portfolio, savings, insurance pay outand the proceeds of the sale of my inner city Melbourne home. What I have in the bank and divi's from my shares will see me through to the end of days with good management and a bit of luck. I have purchased a property and I'm married to an educated, career driven girl so I'm in good hands

10 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

regulations are extremely strict and difficult to follow.

Strict maybe, but not Not really difficult to follow, if you get a list of what is required from your IO. here i go Again, do it once and after it's easy. 13 steps.

IMG_1417.thumb.JPG.65fbd1f8dea2213a6f48a69c1b8c5563.JPGIMG_1418.thumb.jpg.9e5a399ca70916782275b485e494eecb.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, giddyup said:

A marriage visa will allow you to live/remain in Thailand as long as you fulfill the immigration requirements

ie: finances marriage cert etc

22 hours ago, JusticeGB said:

You are considered married without registering, however immigration will not issue a marriage extension unless you register.

A prenuptial agreement is worthless as it has to be pre nuptial, not post nuptial. Any agreement / contract between married couples may be considered to be legally invalid and unenforceable on divorce.

The regulations are not difficult to follow, just a bit bureaucratic.

There is no “marriage Visa”

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You are considered married without registering, however immigration will not issue a marriage extension unless you register.

A prenuptial agreement is worthless as it has to be pre nuptial, not post nuptial. Any agreement / contract between married couples may be considered to be legally invalid and unenforceable on divorce.

The regulations are not difficult to follow, just a bit bureaucratic.

There is no “marriage Visa”

That is why you have to register an overseas marriage. An overseas marriage certificate is written in a foreign language which isn't recognized in law anyway in Thailand neither is an overseas marriage certificate recognized by Immigration.