How do I stop myself from drinking too much?

denvemosc46

On 11/5/2020 at 12:15 PM, BritManToo said:

Why are you sitting in a corner on your own?

Might as well drink at home alone, it won't stop you throwing up, but at least you'll only be spending half as much.

I'm not sure. He has to clean up his own mess then.

On 11/5/2020 at 8:21 PM, jak2002003 said:

OP..sounds like you have some problems that are causing you to behave like this.

Stop drinking altogether for now till you have got your problem under control. Otherwise you will ruin your life...and at 20 year old that is such a waste....if you get older you will look back at that time in your life and really regret it. 

Alcoholics should never start drinking again.

Join a support group.

• Like 1

Get a friend to enthusiastically duck tape a bottle of Chang in each hand - Limits you to two beers.

If you find that at some point during the evening you have smashed those bottles to make room for more, bleeding profusely from each hand whilst chugging cheerfully, then i'd suggest an AA meeting or two.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/5/2020 at 11:42 AM, denvemosc46 said:

20 year old male here. Every time I go out for a drink, my nights usually start out pretty good, with me being in a good mood, and with a lot of confidence. But as the night passes on, 3 things happens. I get really tired, sad and depressed sitting in the corner not saying a thing, and so drunk that I throw up everywhere and can't remember a thing next day. I know I could just ''drink less'', but I somehow can't make myself do that, when I have had a couple of drinks. Has any of you dealt with the same situation?

Hit the same problem around 26, moved to Switzerland for a year, and barely drink since.

You need a change of scenery.

I tried that exercise for around 20 years - to drink less. It didnt work and I wasnt able to do so. The solution - stop drinking! Use your time, eneregy and money on something else. You have only one life - use it well...

• Like 1

If you keep going to a bar the outcome will keep being the same. First suggestion would be - if you want to change something, you have to change something you do. If you find you can't keep yourself from to going to a bar you likely have an addiction. Try AA. It can't hurt. 

Alcohol is a depressant. You're likely already depressed and expect the alcohol to mitigate your depression. It's not. Instead it's making it worse and bringing your depression to the surface. 

By asking the question here, you already recognize you have a problem. Don't ignore it. Good luck.

21 minutes ago, shackleton said:

You must have plenty of money to spend throwing up good beer or drinks every night 

What are you doing in Thailand take it  you aren't working as to busy throwing up in the evenings would be incapable of turning up for work the following mornings 

You must not be a professional. In my early 20's I could drink all night, sack out for a few hours and be at work the next morning. And do that for days on end.

• Like 2

Avoid drinking spirits , eat before going out and find some exercise you like doing like gym , cycling, swimming etc and if you work out hard enough you will be that tired that going for a drink will be last thing on your mind or after a few drinks you will be heading home as your exhausted.

24 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

You must not be a professional. In my early 20's I could drink all night, sack out for a few hours and be at work the next morning. And do that for days on end.

I suppose some people do measure their professionalism and/or manhood by how much alcohol they can absorb.

BTW, did you know your favorite politician Trump is a lifelong teetotaller?

Good on you for reaching out. I used to drink way too much.

So one night i went out with friends and refused to drink any alcohol. Being sober and seeing people and you friends deteriate over the night will really annoy you and you realize you are the same annoying person.

Now im out 2 nights a week and limit the booze.

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Just go out a lot later, arrive at your watering hole about one hour before closing time. They'll kick you out while you're still happy, you go home happy.

Why not just stay at home in the first place?

• Like 1

Lots of youngsters have same problem. I ve seen docu's when they are on a holiday in Spain.

They drink till they drop and going out in UK the same. They already get around earlier and get hammerd already BEFORE going out to drink. They also do it to feel "good" already and have lesser drinks in bars where it is more expensive.

My sons did the same then when they were that age, not UK, but it is worldwide.

Your habit, looks to sit alone and feeling miserable, so break that habit. There is something in your thoughts.

Maybe feeling lonely? Just break away from those thoughts, do something about it. Mind over habit.

I know easy said then done. But only you can, if you want to.

The alcohol is addictive at one point and then it can grow really bad and effects your life until you die, then you need more and even in daytime. Then you could be drinking all day. Get your thoughts straight without alcohol.

36 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I suppose some people do measure their professionalism and/or manhood by how much alcohol they can absorb.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The life of a sailor.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Why not just stay at home in the first place?

Where's the fun in that? My idea for our OP was to make a move from irresponsible to responsible drinking, not to become a teetotaler. I know it can work, I did it myself.

You sound almost like myself in the past. What changed me was falling in love with a beautiful Thai girl that doesn't drink (there are millions). She changed me and it was easy with her around. Learn to speak Thai, go find the good local girls, and you are all set with a happy future.

I do not want to sound like an alarmist but you have alcoholic symptoms.I have lived on and of in Asia and everything revolves around drinking.Do yourself a favor and get out of the place.So you need to stop drinking what do you do then?If you are single retired it is ok but the drink will get you

On 11/5/2020 at 11:42 AM, denvemosc46 said:

20 year old male here. Every time I go out for a drink, my nights usually start out pretty good, with me being in a good mood, and with a lot of confidence. But as the night passes on, 3 things happens. I get really tired, sad and depressed sitting in the corner not saying a thing, and so drunk that I throw up everywhere and can't remember a thing next day. I know I could just ''drink less'', but I somehow can't make myself do that, when I have had a couple of drinks. Has any of you dealt with the same situation?

The answer lays with you, why do you feel the need to drink yourself into oblivion?

Find the reason and make a change.

ie: Why are you drinking alone?

No mates, get involved with something and meet people, talk more & drink less.

Shy, get into group activities, other than going out drinking.

Join a local gym, cycling club, anything like that.

If all else fails stay out of pubs.... or join AA