How do I stop myself from drinking too much?

denvemosc46

20 year old male here. Every time I go out for a drink, my nights usually start out pretty good, with me being in a good mood, and with a lot of confidence. But as the night passes on, 3 things happens. I get really tired, sad and depressed sitting in the corner not saying a thing, and so drunk that I throw up everywhere and can't remember a thing next day. I know I could just ''drink less'', but I somehow can't make myself do that, when I have had a couple of drinks. Has any of you dealt with the same situation?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

43 minutes ago, denvemosc46 said:

20 year old male here. Every time I go out for a drink, my nights usually start out pretty good, with me being in a good mood, and with a lot of confidence. But as the night passes on, 3 things happens. I get really tired, sad and depressed sitting in the corner not saying a thing, and so drunk that I throw up everywhere and can't remember a thing next day. I know I could just ''drink le, ss'', but I somehow can't make myself do that, when I have had a couple of drinks. Has any of you dealt with the same situation?

Seems you have a great future, here in Thailand. But if you are determined to squander this potential, I could suggest you develop your interest in wine.  Nothing beats sharing a nice bottle, over a juicy Tenderloin with a Thai lady.

Thai men are too for that "keeneeow" and seem to believe wine isn't masculine enough.

• Confused 1

Binge drinking. Start and don't stop until completely hammered. I drink heavily more than not, but do not throw up and do not black out. But I am old and still can stay in control when out. 20 years old is a problem. Are you mixing drinks? Say like beer and Thai rum? If so then stay on one alcohol only. Over the years you become more accustomed to handle drinking, but when young it can be a learning curve spiral.

• Like 2

For me, though In never really drunk that much (and never smoked), the solution was simple  - start collecting something. When you see a collection growing and get enthusiastic about it you start realising that that 1000 baht for alcohol becomes a hard choice for something you really want to extend your collection. Good thing about it, is that my wife supports this, I'm home, I'm not drunk, i don't play around and what I buy is still money - though only God knows how I will get it all back to the UK in years to come.

• Like 1

I worked in bars for 20 yrs so it was free for me.....not always a good thing....some tips overheard

Only drink beer..no hard stuff....I always load up with fat=protein b4 i go out...hence c. burger and fries-etc

Dont start until later...tough in LOS as you have after hrs places to access it.....drink water....  1 drink+1 water

If you end up alone-leave and go elsewhere--or call it a night....there were weekly expat-tourist meet ups in Cm

where expats and tourists met up and picked a diff place weekly to keep it fresh....depends on WHERE u drink

I drink alone and wander in CM always met ppl along my adventure..be open and friendly-- I always went to same place to start--bought a sangsom small set and that small bottle was all I needed to get me thru the night..as soon as that was gone then I could gauge my intake..I always shared my bottle with thais-share!

If ur puking that is your body telling u----Im guessing hard stuff or shots....body needs time to build tolerance as in my bar days I could drink a ton and work --20 yrs took a toll on me too....rarely drink at all nowadays, as my  sangsom nights were maybe one a week max......as I would host weekly get togethers in Cm for tourists......

The older you get the slower the recovery----from quantity is now about  quality..hence the sangsom-premium!!

The old saying everything is ok..in moderation....age plays a large factor and who we have to answer to ????

• Like 1

OP, go to see others with the same problem.

It's not a nice way to live, first you'll get a fat liver, then a cirrhosis is just around the corner.

Many people are like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide when drinking a lot.

They always think that they are right, but that's not true. Alcohol destroys friendships, marriages and lives.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Unfortunately, when one cannot control the outcome of a drinking encounter, once initiated, one is in trouble. Blackouts are a classic sign of serious drinking problems.

Would disagree, I had blackouts when I drank Chang, nothing like that before or after.

• Like 1

OP

as has been stated get a life.  I am not being sarcastic but just saying that you need something in your life besides bars.

Join a gym, take lessons in Thai, start dating with online services (do not take them to a bar on your date)

get a job,  go to university

there are a million things to do in Thailand you just have to find something else other than booze.

Booze is a crutch. get out go to places there are a ton of young girls looking just to date in this country not looking for a husband (well some are)

• Like 2

Recognize alcohol is a depressant, and a Class 1 carcinogen. The OP is exhibiting all the symptoms of an alcoholic at age 20.

Some people can handle alcohol, some can't. Winston Churchill was able to function despite heavy alcohol consumption.

The OP needs to either learn to handle his intake, or give it up completely.

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 2:40 PM, RichardColeman said:

For me, though In never really drunk that much (and never smoked), the solution was simple  - start collecting something. When you see a collection growing and get enthusiastic about it you start realising that that 1000 baht for alcohol becomes a hard choice for something you really want to extend your collection. Good thing about it, is that my wife supports this, I'm home, I'm not drunk, i don't play around and what I buy is still money - though only God knows how I will get it all back to the UK in years to come.

He is collecting beers.

On 11/5/2020 at 2:40 PM, RichardColeman said:

Exactly this, see how many girls he could have collected at 1000 baht a pop.

Oh poo, missed the bit about being married.