What do you use as your news source?

I think it's always best to get "local" news.

I.e. I trust the BBC with news about the UK and Europe. But looking back at 2010 in Thailand the only BBC reporter in Bangkok seemed to write what a certain criminal's PR department published.

Any media who relies on one or maybe two reporters for a country or even a whole region is unlikely to be accurate.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stocky said:
  • BBC
  • Guardian
  • Sky News
  • AP
  • Reuters
  • CNN
  • Aljazeera
  • CNBC
  • Fox News
  • Spiegel Online
  • Thai Enquirer
  • Sydney Morning Herald
  • China Daily
  • RT

I don't read all of them every day, but will dip into all of them at least one a week. BBC, Guardian, Sky, CNBC and Aljazeera are daily reading, as is Thai Enquirer.

I'm surprised you have not developed advanced schizophrenia.

• Haha 1

Any news agency banned or discredited by the UK government will be about right.

Sorry to disappoint everyone, but the UK government lies all the time.

The British government has admitted to showing misleading daily Covid fatality projections in its televised coronavirus briefing last weekend, during which PM Boris Johnson announced a second national lockdown.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Surelynot said:

The Mail

The  Express

The Telegraph

The Sun

......only joking

don't forget 'The Sunday Sport'.....

......only joking..... it's what i used to read when i got tooooo old for the 'Beano'.

Edited by jastheace
oooo
  • Haha 1

for me it's BBC and Al Jazira. 

for anyone who thinks either of these are biased, not reporting your opinions in a favourable way, does not make that channel biased. sorry about that, but the Sunday Sport was written for guys just like you.

23 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I thought you meant Thai news because you mentioned Thai newspapers.

My primary news source is the Washington Post website which I do subscribe to.

I read many sources but I'm particularly impressed with the Atlantic magazine. 

Predictably the main tv channels I watch are CNN and MSNBC. I used to watch BBC a lot but currently don't have access. 

Also used to watch Fox alot to see what the right wing was up to but it was making me vomit so I stopped.

A site I like that directs you to a wide variety of articles and links that you wouldn't otherwise see is digg.com

I don't use Facebook for news.

I only occasionally read the English language newspapers.

Like you I find the Atlantic to be a very good publication as well.        I only manage the WP until my monthly  article allowance is reached.     I only recently subscribed to the NY Times and did so at a $1./week intro rate.   Couldn't pass that one  up.

I'd like to have more subscriptions such as Barrons,  Bloomberg and a few others.   They can be pretty pricy,

I am aware of digg.com but have not looked at it for quite a while.

Thanks,.

I look at Fox for probably the same reasons you did.While I may not appreciate the content I believe it's a well run organization.

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I'm surprised you have not developed advanced schizophrenia.

I worked for many years in Africa, my only real source of news was what I could pick up on a shortwave radio. So I listened to the BBC, VOA and Radio Moscow. You learn to analyse and evaluate, you sift the wheat from the chaff.

Sadly, far too many people only read or watch a curated news feed, it just serves to confirm their view of the world, nothing is there to challenge them. It leads to blinkered and entrenched thinking.

I prefer to read widely and understand as much as possible, I've found it gives me a better understanding, not schizophrenia.

6 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I worked for many years in Africa, my only real source of news was what I could pick up on a shortwave radio. So I listened to the BBC, VOA and Radio Moscow. You learn to analyse and evaluate, you sift the wheat from the chaff.

Sadly, far too many people only read or watch a curated news feed, it just serves to confirm their view of the world, nothing is there to challenge them. It leads to blinkered and entrenched thinking.

I prefer to read widely and understand as much as possible, I've found it gives me a better understanding, not schizophrenia.

It was a joke, Joyce. I read widely too, but newspapers are only a small part of my intake.

3 minutes ago, Stocky said:

In principle I agree with you.

But I think in some cases reading multiple sources brings only the conclusion of: I don't know. 

Some people and organizations obviously want to present the news in a specific way. That's bad enough but somehow predictable.

But I am sure there are also many reporters and other individuals who experience things very different.

A local example are the last decade or demonstrations in Thailand. If we ask different people we hear hugely different versions of the same events. And all are sure that what they saw is the truth. It's difficult...

1 hour ago, Andy from Kent said:

I've liked this magazine since 1969.   Last I checked it had a very limited English language edition.    Has that changed, perhaps?

I didn't read it in 1969. But over the last years at least the online version of Der Spiegel didn't get any better. It was good until maybe 5 or 10 years ago.

And mostly I read the original German articles.

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In principle I agree with you.

But I think in some cases reading multiple sources brings only the conclusion of: I don't know. 

Some people and organizations obviously want to present the news in a specific way. That's bad enough but somehow predictable.

But I am sure there are also many reporters and other individuals who experience things very different.

A local example are the last decade or demonstrations in Thailand. If we ask different people we hear hugely different versions of the same events. And all are sure that what they saw is the truth. It's difficult...

Some of the best sources are outside the mainstream, although that's where the fruitcakes reside too.

I get a weekly newsletter from a guy in Australia, Michael West. Probably the best investigative journalist there when it comes to financial shenanigans by governments and their rent-seekers.

He used to be part of mainstream media, but trod on too many toes.

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I didn't read it in 1969. But over the last years at least the online version of Der Spiegel didn't get any better. It was good until maybe 5 or 10 years ago.

And mostly I read the original German articles.

Well, unfortunately newsprint  worldwide died a slow death as we came to enjoy  things  like YouTube and such.

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I use the internet.. fast and simple.

Fair enuf.   In the past, prior to the internet, I subscribed to a number of publications and newspapers.   Many of them are now gone or at best are a shadow of their former selves.

I imagine one way or another most of us rely now on the internet for news unless we have one of those devices called a radio which I no longer own.     So in the spirit of Jingthing,  who mentioned a site called digg.com which I'd forgotten about, do you have any favorite news sites on the internet?

On 11/7/2020 at 6:22 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I've never understood the fascination the BBC has with Africa, of which they spend an extraordinary amount of air time on. Isn't there enough news in the UK to spend more time reporting that?

As you've noticed a bias toward international news, you are probably watching the BBC world service news rather than the BBC domestic service. They are separate entities.

In answer to the original question, I mainly use the BBC app on my tablet for most of my news. I don't watch any TV news.

Edited by Moonlover

8 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

Fair enuf.   In the past, prior to the internet, I subscribed to a number of publications and newspapers.   Many of them are now gone or at best are a shadow of their former selves.

I imagine one way or another most of us rely now on the internet for news unless we have one of those devices called a radio which I no longer own.     So in the spirit of Jingthing,  who mentioned a site called digg.com which I'd forgotten about, do you have any favorite news sites on the internet?

As I'm out here in Los, I primarily use NHK news [Japanese broadcasting station] they have a website and internet channel you can watch, news is every hour on the hour, in English language.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/

Edited by hotchilli

4 hours ago, Andy from Kent said:

Local radio spends about 3 minutes max on news every half hour, so not exactly a significant source of news.

Given that apparently only bad things are news these days, I stopped reading/ viewing/ listening to news and I feel a whole lot better for doing so. I made an exception for the US election.

I do watch Al Jazira occasionally as the only one not beholden to advertisers ( except apparently BBC and that is not worth bothering with nowadays IMO ) and has some semblance to reporting facts and not the so called journalist's opinions.