To "chick Or Not To Chick?"

Okay, here’s a general question regarding visa runs that I thought I’d throw out, if you were in my shoes would you go on a visa run alone? or accompanied by a girl friend if you had the choice? In some way's I think that being accompanied might be a hindrance because of what they (Immigration and Thai babe) might talk about unbeknown to me. By the same token she might be of some help if it appears "she's hang' in with a farang that's cool and has a few bucks".

My Thai friends have complimented me in the past on blending into the Thai

community by my dress, and not appearing to be a stand out. So I'm

wondering about looking much better than normal during a visa run, perhaps they might get the idea that I should be giving them much more of a kick-back that required!

So what do you think guy’s? Babe or solo?

Regards,

John from Alaska

It may be a good thing to bring her along. I speak very little Thai, my GF was always present whenever I had to meet a government officer and things always worked out smoothly, thanks to her. Don't see why you should be paranoid about the conversation between the officers and your girlfriend...unless... well, you know her better than we do.

As for the way you dress, don't go nuts with tux, top hat and cane but DO dress properly, some people are sized on sight. I always wear shirt and tie, pain in the neck but it's only for a few hours. Anyway, you should always dress properly (no tie needed) when with the missus in public, don't look like a "cheap falang" as mine says.

Good luck :o

Anywhere in the world, you "honor or show respect" to the people your dealing with if you dress accordingly, that includes who you are with and particularly when dealing with government officials.

In Thailand, the approved "business dress" is a long sleeved shirt and tie.

If not that, certainly dress trousers and a very nice long or short sleeved shirt of "out to dinner" style. Certainly "casual elegance" at worst.

I push it a little, I feel, by wearing sandals with my "going out" clothes. However they are very expensive black Mehphisto sandals,with more than 50% of the top of my boot covered ,black slacks and a black and while patterned shirt. With my gray hair, I am always treated with respect by Thais, in or out of government. My smile is pasted on my face and I adopt a slight inclined head type bow as greeting and farewell.

In Thailand, the approved "business dress" is a long sleeved shirt and tie.

That may be but I refuse to put on a tie or wear long sleeves and have never had a problem using safari type suit or trousers with silk shirt. That suit and tie is one custom we should never have brought here IMHO. Leather shoes seems to be a requirement these days also. Not too great when the rains come.

For poster: I would not advise having a girl with you if not your wife. Sex is considered an activity to be behind closed doors or confined to specific areas and flaunting it is not cool. If travel together have her process in her own line.

I have never understood why anyone would wear a long-sleeve dress shirt in a tropical country when the same style shirts come in short-sleeve design.

And what is with those Bangkok people wearing COATS in April in the middle of the day walking down the street?? Not Business suit coats but winter jackets! They do not even break a sweat! I sweat just thinking about going out into the heat ..... and I grew up in hot humid weather.

It seems that if I dress nicely to go to immigration, the effect will be ruined by my sweat soaked shirt and sweaty hair. I have to plan to allow extra time to go sit somewhere with a/c until I cool down.

ragtime3 :o

Based on my countless visa runs & extensions (tourist / border pass type) and observations of other characters doing the same, how you dress and how many girls you come with has nothing to do with getting your visa. It is strictly a procedural matter where success is based on submitting the appropriate forms and paying any required amount.

So if you want to waste your time dressing the part, it might make sense to step back and think about the part you are auditioning for. For instance, if you are going for a 30 day border pass and show up in a dress shirt and a tie, that is the tell tale sign of a working expat which is an image that could backfire and red flag you *IF* they are judging dress code.

If you are just going to Dodge City for a renewal/extension, wear what is comfortable but smart.

Cambo Immi just want to fleece you for $5 more that the visa sticker costs at the Cambo Embassy in BKK.

Take a wench?, why not, I got stuck with an Eastern Scottish gent last time on the bus, his English was worse than any bargirl's...

The conversation went...... pardon? pardon? pardon?... from me.

I changed seats coming back. :o

P.S. Thai Immi officers at the border, do NOT expect "tea money" so do not offer any!

Okay, here’s a general question regarding visa runs that I thought I’d throw out, if you were in my shoes would you go on a visa run alone? or accompanied by a girl friend if you had the choice? In some way's I think that being accompanied might be a hindrance because of what they (Immigration and Thai babe) might talk about unbeknown to me. By the same token she might be of some help if it appears "she's hang' in with a farang that's cool and has a few bucks".

My Thai friends have complimented me in the past on blending into the Thai

community by my dress, and not appearing to be a stand out. So I'm

wondering about looking much better than normal during a visa run, perhaps they might get the idea that I should be giving them much more of a kick-back that required!

So what do you think guy’s? Babe or solo?

Regards,

John from Alaska

What do you mean by 'going on a visa run'?

Are you going on one of the organised trips, or catching a bus from BKK (or wherever) to Trat / Aryunpraathet on your own?

If on an organised tour - go solo - why pay for the extra seat - why persuade g/f to get out of bed at 5.00 am?

If going by bus, maybe better to have her along for translation purposes. But the cost is very little different to organised tours, 'cos you have to pay far more at the Cambo border as a single farang.

With regard to short sleeves / long sleeves - at work long sleeves are expected in most circumstances - saves getting your arms sunburned. Do the same on visa runs or anywhere you are likely to run into Thai Authority and you will lessen your chances of offending the wrong people. Ties are something else, for me. I wore one to see Immigration Police officially, didn't wear one when meeting the same two guys unofficially. Do not like ties anyway.