US health insurance accepted for COE? Non-B visa

1. Has anyone had a COE issued by showing health insurance from a US insurance company (COVID-19 coverage >$100,000)  or does it have to be from one of the Thai insurance companies?

2. Recommendations from these insurance companies that have direct billing contacts with Bumrungrad? (for US resident, age 40-50) Approximately how much do you pay per year?

• ADAC-Schutzbrief Versicherung
  • Aetna / Goodhealth Worldwide (Asia Pacific) Limited
  • Aetna Global Benefit : [ HK, China,USA, Middle East, Europ]
  • Aetna Global Benefits (USA)
  • AIG TRAVEL ASIA PACIFIC PTE LTD.
  • AIU Insurance Company Limited (OTAI Only)
  • Al Koot Insurance & Reinsurance Company
  • Allianz Worldwide Care Limited
  • Allied Insurance Company of the Maldives  PVT
  • AXA Hospicare
  • AXA Insurance Public Company Limited
  • AXA PPP Health Care Limited
  • Baoviet Insurance Corporation
  • Baoviet Interglobal
  • Blue Cross Blue Shield Plans
  • Bupa Global Latin America
  • BUPA International
  • Cigna International [USA, UK, China]
  • CMN
  • Customer Care Pty Ltd
  • Daman Health Insurance
  • DavidShield International Medicine Insurance
  • Delaware American Life Insurance Company [Metlife]
  • Dynamiq
  • GeoBlue
  • GlobalHealth Asia Limited
  • GMMI/FEP (U.S. Federal Employees Plan)
  • Healix International 
  • Healix New Zealand Ltd
  • Health 360 Ancillary WLL
  • Health 360°
  • HTC Worldwide Incorporated Medicine System Ltd [HTH]
  • Incorporated Medical Systems Limited [IMS]
  • InterGlobal [ NZI ]
  • International Claims Services
  • International Health Insurance Denmarks  [Bupa IHI]
  • International Medical Group [ IMG]
  • Island Home Insurance Company - Staywell Guam Inc
  • JI Accident & Fire Insurance Co., Ltd.
  • Kyoei Fire and Marine Insurance Company
  • Liberty Insurance Limited
  • LUMA CLAIMS 
  • Malteser Hilfsdient GmbH
  • Medical Administrators International (MAI) 
  • MetLife (Delaware American Life Insurance Company)
  • MetLife (MSH CHINA)
  • Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Co., Ltd. (PA & HEALTH)
  • Mobility Saint-Honore (MSH)
  • Morgan Price International Healthcare Limited (Non-Contract)
  • MSH China Enterprise Service Co., th  [ MetLife MSH China ]
  • Mutuelle Des Patentes Et Liberaux (MPL)
  • National Health Insurance Company – Daman
  • National Life & General Insurance
  • Nippon Fire & Marine Insurance Co., Ltd.
  • Northcott Global Solutions
  • Now Health International
  • Oversea Insurance (On Process)
  • P.T. Global Asistensi Manajemen Indonesia
  • Pacific International [Pacific cross, Medsure]
  • Paramount Healthcare Management 
  • Ping An Health Insurance Company Ltd.
  • PPP Health Care Limited
  • PT. Asuransi Sinar Mas
  • QBE Insurance 
  • Q Life & Medical Insurance Company [QLM]
  • Quality Health Management
  • Seven Corners, Inc.
  • Sompo Insurance 
  • TakeCare Insurance Company,INC
  • Tiecare*/Global Benefits Group
  • Tokio Marine & Nichido Fire Insurance Co., Ltd.
  • TRICARE 
  • TRICARE US (Retiree)
  • United Health International, Inc.
  • United Health International, Inc. [ Accept group only :Global Solutions, Expat, Expatriate]
  • United Healthcare International (Global Solutions) 
  • William Russell Ltd.

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/patient-services/insurance-we-accept#ThaiandExpat

• Like 1

This is the deal to beat:

Allianz Care - Core Plan

$1,045 USD (includes 35% discount for 3,000 deductible)

Tip: code "LIFE10" gives 10% discount or request a quote, wait a week, and they email you a discount offer.

https://www.allianzcare.com/en/personal-international-health-insurance.html

Edited by seeriipaap
More accurate

It can be done but like most things it depends on multiple factors.  The person at the embassy i dealt with rejected the two letters I had from BCBS and said I needed the foreign insurance certificate form filled out by the insurance company. 

http://longstay.tgia.org/document/overseas_insurance_certificate.pdf

The insurance filled in the form but only one representative signed the form.  The embassy person insisted it was not acceptable unless all three signatures were presented.  I was unable to obtain this in a timely manner and just bought a high deductible plan off the Thai approved list of companies.   6000 Baht for the year.

https://longstay.tgia.org/

I know at least one other person where this was not the case but the person I was dealing with said impossible. 

TiT

• Like 2

15 hours ago, new2here said:

i have and used my US-issued UnitedHealthCare plan as it met all the minimums that the CoE required. It did take a few days to get the letter from UHC that explicitly mentions the three major points they the Embassy looks for in terms of determining if your policy is acceptable or not: a) length of validity, b) explicitly mentions coverage included C19 and c) minimum coverage is equal to or more than US$100k.

Once I got the letter I used that, combined with the larger 6-page full policy and the plastic annual policy holders ID card.... no issues raised by the Embassy (Wash DC) nor any other point in the process on the day of travel.

Regarding UHC, other than the first 60 days of foreign travel, virtually no overseas coverage is included. UHC is for Americans living in the USA or doing short term travel. Or am I missing something? I have Medicare but have never pursued additional Medicare coverage because of the overseas exclusions and have opted for expensive alternative healthcare that excludes coverage in the USA. This is not a critical comment, just a questioning comment.

The COVID coverage can be from any insurance company, anywhere, provided it will cover you in Thailand for COVID up to  $100,000.

It can even be a travel policy provided it does not exclude COVID and will cover you for the time needed.

If you do not have other insurance that covers you in Thailand  I would recommend against the policies listed on the tgia website as these are COVID only.

Depending on how long you expect to be here, should get either a good travel insurance policy that includes (but is not limited to) COVID or  regular expat health insurance.

I have April international (issued out of France nto April Thailand). Does not seem to be on your list but they do direct pay with Bumrungrad and most other major hospitals here. Cost under 3,000 at age a decade older than you with a $500 deductible, at your age will obviously be less.  (That is inpatient only but also include outpt cover for cancer tx and dialysis, and that is adequate for Thailand - routine OPD is cheap enough here it that not worth the added cost to insure for it).  Will include COVID so would meet that requirement while also providing you meaningful protection in Thailand.

It is better to get policy through a broker with expertise in expat insurance in Thailand, they will not only provide you with options but also help afterwards if any issues arise with claims. I use AA brokers  www.aainsure.net

12 hours ago, AKJeff said:

It can be done but like most things it depends on multiple factors.  The person at the embassy i dealt with rejected the two letters I had from BCBS and said I needed the foreign insurance certificate form filled out by the insurance company. 

The insurance filled in the form but only one representative signed the form.  The embassy person insisted it was not acceptable unless all three signatures were presented.  I was unable to obtain this in a timely manner and just bought a high deductible plan off the Thai approved list of companies.   6000 Baht for the year.

I know at least one other person where this was not the case but the person I was dealing with said impossible. 

TiT

You are talking about an entirely different requirement, the mandatory health insurance for the O-A visa.

OP is asking about the COVID insurance requirement which is a separate thing (though in some cases same insurance policy might meet both requirements).

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

The COVID coverage can be from any insurance company, anywhere, provided it will cover you in Thailand for COVID up to  $100,000.

It can even be a travel policy provided it does not exclude COVID and will cover you for the time needed.

If you do not have other insurance that covers you in Thailand  I would recommend against the policies listed on the tgia website as these are COVID only.

Depending on how long you expect to be here, should get either a good travel insurance policy that includes (but is not limited to) COVID or  regular expat health insurance.

I have April international (issued out of France nto April Thailand). Does not seem to be on your list but they do direct pay with Bumrungrad and most other major hospitals here. Cost under 3,000 at age a decade older than you with a $500 deductible, at your age will obviously be less.  (That is inpatient only but also include outpt cover for cancer tx and dialysis, and that is adequate for Thailand - routine OPD is cheap enough here it that not worth the added cost to insure for it).  Will include COVID so would meet that requirement while also providing you meaningful protection in Thailand.

It is better to get policy through a broker with expertise in expat insurance in Thailand, they will not only provide you with options but also help afterwards if any issues arise with claims. I use AA brokers  www.aainsure.net

Sorry I just noticed you said non-B visa in which case you might be covered under Thai Social Security once here (not if you will be working at a private school, however). In that case could just get a ravel policy that includes COVID such as this one  https://safetywing.com/nomad-insurance

18 hours ago, AKJeff said:

TiT

Can you please send me a contact reference . I sent you a private message as well

tired of looking around  medical insurance  that will match every word .  this is always a big hassle  with thai immigration when the documents are not in thai language  if want to travel thailand . and this covid insurance is at the top of the list  

image.png.1bf581ad821f46cd29347ed9a78005a1.png

Edited by petedowning75

Sheryl is correct.  I was reading too many post.  I purchased O-A insurance to satisfy the embassy not insurance for Non-B holders.  I will send you a PM with the email address of the person I dealt with.  They might have the kind of insurance you need but it will be different than the one I purchased.    

• Thanks 1

To clarify, I would like to purchase real insurance from a reputable international insurance and use that to get my COE.

I do not want to waste money on the Thai scam policies that don't cover anything. The scams shouldn't start before even getting into the country. ????

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, seeriipaap said:

To clarify, I would like to purchase real insurance from a reputable international insurance and use that to get my COE.

I do not want to waste money on the Thai scam policies that don't cover anything. The scams shouldn't start before even getting into the country. ????

Please see my prior post with policy link and broker link.

At your age you can get a good policy for about USD $2000 - 2500 a year.

16 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Sorry I just noticed you said non-B visa in which case you might be covered under Thai Social Security once here (not if you will be working at a private school, however). In that case could just get a ravel policy that includes COVID such as this one  https://safetywing.com/nomad-insurance

Safety Wing does not have a direct billing contract with Bumrungrad (or likely anywhere). Heard stories of people not having cash for treatment and dying so I don't feel comfortable with an "insurance" that doesn't pay for treatment when it's needed.

Maybe Allianz is the best option. I just hate to spend $1,000. ????

19 minutes ago, seeriipaap said:

Safety Wing does not have a direct billing contract with Bumrungrad (or likely anywhere). Heard stories of people not having cash for treatment and dying so I don't feel comfortable with an "insurance" that doesn't pay for treatment when it's needed.

Maybe Allianz is the best option. I just hate to spend $1,000. ????

Please see my first post in which I discuss good international policies. My reference to safetywings was in a subsequent post and only in case you will be covered under SS through your job (in which case you are already fully covered).

But if you are balking at $1,000, you are out of luck. A decent  expat international policy will cost more like $2,000 annually. You can reduce it a bit if you accept a deductible.

On 11/11/2020 at 5:01 AM, Sheryl said:

Thank you for your response Sheryl. However, I can't seem to find the April coverage you have.

April USA us.april-international.com quotes $198 per year with coverage only up to $30,000 medical for APRIL Annual/Multi-Trip Primary Plan.

April International France fr.april-international.com states they do not cover Americans.

AA brokers suggested only one plan - April International France.

11 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Please see my first post in which I discuss good international policies. My reference to safetywings was in a subsequent post and only in case you will be covered under SS through your job (in which case you are already fully covered).

But if you are balking at $1,000, you are out of luck. A decent  expat international policy will cost more like $2,000 annually. You can reduce it a bit if you accept a deductible.

$1,000 is reasonable, and I'll pay... if I'm paying that much it had better save my life should that become necessary.

Health insurance is one of the most important decisions but it's difficult to know what a company will do when it's their turn to pay, other than to get reports of their customers who have been in that situation.

10 hours ago, seeriipaap said:

$1,000 is reasonable, and I'll pay... if I'm paying that much it had better save my life should that become necessary.

Health insurance is one of the most important decisions but it's difficult to know what a company will do when it's their turn to pay, other than to get reports of their customers who have been in that situation.

$1,000 may be  unrealistic for decent cover in my experience,  Closer to $1,500 at your age unless yo take a large deductible.

I can personally vouch for April (global) Insurance and also for the after-assistanec provided by AA brokers.  No issues whatsoever in their paying promptly and directly to the hospital.

10 hours ago, seeriipaap said:

Thank you for your response Sheryl. However, I can't seem to find the April coverage you have.

April USA us.april-international.com quotes $198 per year with coverage only up to $30,000 medical for APRIL Annual/Multi-Trip Primary Plan.

April International France fr.april-international.com states they do not cover Americans.

AA brokers suggested only one plan - April International France.

April International France does cover American. I'm American and I have it and so do many others.

The web site automatically routes you to April US, that's all. (Does the same thing for people in UK). Broker can arrange for you to get an application form etc for April International.

33 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

April International France does cover American. I'm American and I have it and so do many others.

The web site automatically routes you to April US, that's all. (Does the same thing for people in UK). Broker can arrange for you to get an application form etc for April International.

AA Insure seems to agree.

After 3 months of working I will qualify to use the same Thai SS insurance that Thai nationals have.

Is it worth buying an international insurance on top of that and if so why?

16 minutes ago, seeriipaap said:

AA Insure seems to agree.

After 3 months of working I will qualify to use the same Thai SS insurance that Thai nationals have.

Is it worth buying an international insurance on top of that and if so why?

Whether it is worth it is up to you and your priorities. Also where in Thailand you will be located.

The main advantage is that it gives you free choice of doctor and hospital. With SS you are limited to getting all your care at one hospital only unless they refer you elsewhere.  While you have a choice of which hospital to select,. only some take SS so it is a limited choice and in some places -- Bangkok especially - the better hospitals on the SS list are not taking new enrollees and have long waiting lists, forcing people to register at less desirable ones.

With  a few exceptions, private hospitals that accept SS are sub-standard, often severely so, making it advisable to select a government hospital (in some locations there may be no private hospitals at all taking SS).  This means all the inconveniences of government hospitals: long waits, crowding, no English speaking except by the doctors (and not all of them), lots  of red tape,  little or no creature comforts etc. Quality of care  is usually OK but can be very inconvenient to use, especially for people with limited time.

If it were me and if I could afford it and was going to be based in or near Bangkok I would go ahead and get private insurance. If you are going to be based elsewhere depending on where, there may nto be any good private hospitals nearby anyhow in which case private insurance would be a waste of money.

If you decide against private long term insurance, a travel policy that will cover you for the 3 month interim is highly advisable.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...