Can I Change Flight After Non-O Visa is Issued?

I'm applying for a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai. I am aware I must have all my ducks in a row before they will issue the visa: ticket paid for, ASQ reserved.

My question is, once I have the visa, if something comes up and I change the flight by a week or two, is the visa still good for entry? I assume it is not valid only for that particular arrival date. 

Alternatively, any knowledge as to how far in advance they will issue the visa in relation to the departure date? Can I have the ASQ and ticket booked for January, but apply now and get the visa in the 15 days+/- they advise on their website? Or will they delay the visa based on departure date?

15 hours ago, Tim16 said:

You can apply for your visa 3months in advance.

You can enter any time between valid from date to valid until date.

Once you have booked your flight and ASQ you then apply for your Certificate of Entry.

If you change your flight after receiving the CoE you  have to change your ASQ booking and apply for a new CoE.

So if they give you the visa for single non o based on married to a Thai does it have to be used within 90 days of issue to enter Thailand and would they issue one at the moment without a COE or booked ASQ ? 

15 hours ago, Tim16 said:

Once you have booked your flight and ASQ you then apply for your Certificate of Entry.

If you change your flight after receiving the CoE you  have to change your ASQ booking and apply for a new CoE.

Good info. Thanks!

20 hours ago, Tim16 said:

I can confirm the above - partially. The non-O visa is valid for 3 months, - entry is not restricted to a particular date. Only the CoE is restricted to a fixed date.

However I believe embassies are only issuing visas when you also show your intention of applying for a CoE. This means that to apply your non-O visa, you have to have all your CoE papers ready and submit them at the same time - meaning the CoE application form, all other proof required, insurance and ASQ and a flight booking (does not have to be paid for yet), usually from some random date a few months in advance of the actual flight. Then your non-O visa will be issued, but not your CoE, because that is only given when you have a paid for flight ticket. The CoE is not issued along with the visa. Some high risk countries also only issue the CoE on proof of a negative Covid test (the embassy will inform you of this procedure).

The embassy issuing the visa will not be delayed to suit the departure date, as long as the booking is within the 3 months validity of the visa. It will be issued within those 15 days; actually likely within a few days if the papers are in order. So a January booking for an application done in November should not be a problem.

Additional note: I should add that, should you change your departure schedule from the dates you put in your CoE application you used for applying for your visa, all you have to do is submit a new CoE application with a new ASQ & reservation - but there is a slight catch here. You will have to extend your insurance for the full year from the month of departure. The new CoE change is quite straightforward and there are no fees or complications in that process (to change the date).

Edited by S0S
Additional info
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, S0S said:

The embassy issuing the visa will not be delayed to suit the departure date, as long as the booking is within the 3 months validity of the visa. It will be issued within those 15 days; actually likely within a few days if the papers are in order.

Some embassies now advise that applicants who do not have a valid non-O visa should apply for the visa first: 

Step 1: visa application in person. at the embassy 

Step 2: Then booking the flight, ASQ and buying health insurance. Then the CoE application via their online system. 

https://thaiembassy.ch/files_upload/editor_upload/VISA/1604498447_3-updatedinstructions-coe-thai-spouse-children---28oct-coesystem.pdf

Unless I misread their guidance, the CoE application (and the flight?) could be 8 or 9 weeks after receiving the visa, just before the visa expires after 90 days?

Or: They already want to see a flight booking on the day when you apply for the visa. But the CoE application can follow at a later time.

A multi-entry Non-O visa based on marriage is valid for arrivals within 12 months. So the CoE application (and flight?) could be even later than 90 days after getting the visa?

Was anyone able to apply with a time lag of several weeks or even months between visa and CoE?

23 minutes ago, MiclB said:

I hope your are correct but the website says visa are only valid for 90 days after application is approved.

Single entry.

But multi-entry O-M visa are valid for 12 months. They show "Enter before " with a date 12 months after the "Date of Issue". 

E.g. "Date of issue 04 Oct 2020", then "Enter before 03 Oct 2021".

Does anyone know whether the first entry has to be made within 90 days even on a multi-entry visa, despite the "Enter before" date 9 months later?

3 hours ago, maqui said:

Does anyone know whether the first entry has to be made within 90 days even on a multi-entry visa, despite the "Enter before" date 9 months later?

A multiple entry non-o visa is valid for entry for 12 months from the day it is issued.

You do not have to use it until the day it expires if you wanted to.

• Thanks 1

On 11/11/2020 at 7:58 PM, ubonjoe said:

A multiple entry non-o visa is valid for entry for 12 months from the day it is issued.

You do not have to use it until the day it expires if you wanted to.

So, if I did not want to stay more than one year, I would not have to switch to retirement after 90 days. I could simply pay for a multiple entry, rather than the single entry?

5 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

So, if I did not want to stay more than one year, I would not have to switch to retirement after 90 days. I could simply pay for a multiple entry, rather than the single entry?

A multiple entry non-o visa can only be issued at a embassy or consulate. It allows unlimited 90 day entries for year from the date of issue. You have to leave and re-enter the country every 90 days.

A multiple entry non-o visa is almost worthless at this time since it is not easy to re-enter the country after having to leave.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Okay, so currently, the only value in the multiple-entry version would be if I thought my departure date might be delayed beyond the initial 90 day period....

You have 3 months to use a single entry visa to after the day it is issued. The 90 days does not start until you enter the country.

• Thanks 1