Has anyone not married to a Thai got a Yellow book from Amphere Hangdong?

zeekgarcia

1 hour ago, zeekgarcia said:

What did it require and when did you get it?

Thanks

I was not and am not legally married to a Thai.  I got a "yellow book" 16 years ago at Hang Dong Amphur.

I don't remember if it was needed, but I have a 30 year lease.

The village kamnan went there and another Thai person, as well as the home owner.

The Amphur had given us the requirements printout on a visit to the office.

Of course things could have changed.

the yellow book has nothing to do with marriage, it has to do with owning a property, if you own a condo and not married you can get a yellow book, if that's the case, depending where you live/province/city/town requirements may vary but not very hard

• Sad 2

15 hours ago, zeekgarcia said:

What did it require and when did you get it?

Thanks

To answer,  yes I obtained a yellow book about 18 months back.

I went with my girlfriend because a translator is needed.

As to requirements,  go to the office and they will give written instructions. 

The department head did ask why I needed one.  Have an answer ready. 

14 hours ago, Mavideol said:

the yellow book has nothing to do with marriage, it has to do with owning a property, if you own a condo and not married you can get a yellow book, if that's the case, depending where you live/province/city/town requirements may vary but not very hard

You don't need to be a property owner in order to get a yellow book. It's about proof of residence, not ownership. You may well be looked upon more favourably if you have a property but many people have got them (based on reports) with rental agreements only

I obtained a YB from Hang Dong Amphur about 5 years ago and wasn't married, but I did go with my girlfriend as you do need a translator as someone has already mentioned unless you have a very good grasp of Thai as there is typically an interview of sorts as to what you do in Thailand, why you want a YB etc. and you will need some documentation translated (usually only your passport but requirements can change depending on who is doing the administration at the time that you visit)

Once you get the YB, don't forget to get the Pink Card from the same place before you leave, which is only an additional 60 baht

14 hours ago, hml367 said:

I was not and am not legally married to a Thai.  I got a "yellow book" 16 years ago at Hang Dong Amphur.

I don't remember if it was needed, but I have a 30 year lease.

The village kamnan went there and another Thai person, as well as the home owner.

The Amphur had given us the requirements printout on a visit to the office.

Of course things could have changed.

I had to have a letter from the village headman approving me, but he didn't need to go in person and I didn't need any witnesses

The process at Hang Dong was pretty straightforward (for me anyway), but it seems that other Amphurs can be a lot more demanding

17 hours ago, Mavideol said:

Yellow book has nothing to do with owning anything and don't have to be married. I got one 7 yrs ago me and the gf went to a few municipal offices  down here and filled in a couple forms   and presto ,Got a Yellow Book

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wimpy said:

I tried to get one in Hang Chat. No wife, no property. They called to the head office (in BKK?) and were told it was not possible.

Can you explain what you mean by 'no property' - if you are renting with a legitimate lease contract you are entitled to a Yellow Tabien Baan.  I will try to find some details but if I remember correctly, there is actually a law that confirms this right.

9 hours ago, wimpy said:

I tried to get one in Hang Chat. No wife, no property. They called to the head office (in BKK?) and were told it was not possible.

Not in Chiang Mai city, but I got my yellow book (and pink ID card) about 1.5 weeks ago from Amphur Chaiprakan (also in Chiang Mai province). 

It did take a little bit of time:

- Get residence certificate from Chiang Mai immigration

- Get 4 people to vouch for me, including village headman and everybody needed to take copy of their identity cards and blue books - my GF couldn't be the one to vouch for me, since she lives at same address

- Get birth certificate of my daughter (already had my name in Thai language)

- Get passport translated to Thai (certified translation - I made sure my translated name on passport was exactly same as on birth certificate)

- Wait for the right people to be available in my Amphur

If I didn't have a daughter and not married, it was told it would not be possible for me to get yellow book.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wolf81 said:

Not in Chiang Mai city, but I got my yellow book (and pink ID card) about 1.5 weeks ago from Amphur Chaiprakan (also in Chiang Mai province). 

It did take a little bit of time:

- Get residence certificate from Chiang Mai immigration

- Get 4 people to vouch for me, including village headman and everybody needed to take copy of their identity cards and blue books - my GF couldn't be the one to vouch for me, since she lives at same address

- Get birth certificate of my daughter (already had my name in Thai language)

- Get passport translated to Thai (certified translation - I made sure my translated name on passport was exactly same as on birth certificate)

- Wait for the right people to be available in my Amphur

If I didn't have a daughter and not married, it was told it would not be possible for me to get yellow book.

Different Amphur; told two requirements; 1) Married 2) Resident over 12 months. When both applied we went to ask for my yellow book. Was told another translated and certified copy of passport required plus same for birth certificate. They could have told us that when we went to the British Embassy for marriage purposes. Didn't want to go again so gave up.

You are legally entitled to one, and they cannot legally refuse to give you one.

Offices make up their own laws that are not the law. Have the laws printed and the ombudsman on speed dial, and let them see. All done politely, of course. Feigning dumbness may help. Oh, I need this, but these printed law says I don't, one minute, let us call the ombudsman to check everything khrap. 

Your Thai translator girlfriend won't like that of course. Up to you. 

If you want a yellow book, the person registered as the house master in the blue book of that property has to agree.

If you own a condominium in foreign name, there will be no house master in the blue book, but you will have the blue book so you can get a yellow book without anyone else involved.

Yellow book is all about living address registration

I got one for my condo in Suthep (South).  GF was quite helpful.  CMULI was helpful with a certified passport translation for 300.  I made sure it matched the translation on my Chinote.  The ID is handy, and both items seem to impress a number of Thais with various stamps and ranks.  That and ten Baht will get you a hotdog on a stick, but of course, no mustard.

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 4:52 PM, KhaoYai said:

Can you explain what you mean by 'no property' - if you are renting with a legitimate lease contract you are entitled to a Yellow Tabien Baan.  I will try to find some details but if I remember correctly, there is actually a law that confirms this right.

I live in my friend's home rent free. Have a usufruct on the land deed.

On 11/13/2020 at 6:35 AM, Dante99 said:

This is not correct.  As Canthai55 noted above.

Many like this.

What he said is correct, and what you and Canthai55 said is wrong.

The house owner (or house master) can get a yellow book and register a foreigner in it.

The foreigner might be in possession of this book, but it's not "his" (unless the foreigner is the owner). If multiple foreigners would live at the same address they could all be registered in this yellow book (one book for all foreigners, they wouldn't each get their own book)

Most of the problems we see are because people don't understand how it works, and wrongfully think it's their yellow book, which it usually isn't, unless they are the owner of the property.

The owner of the property (or the house master) has to contact the Amphoe and ask how to register a foreigner who is living at his property in the house book.

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

What he said is correct, and what you and Canthai55 said is wrong.

The house owner (or house master) can get a yellow book and register a foreigner in it.

The foreigner might be in possession of this book, but it's not "his" (unless the foreigner is the owner). If multiple foreigners would live at the same address they could all be registered in this yellow book (one book for all foreigners, they wouldn't each get their own book)

Most of the problems we see are because people don't understand how it works, and wrongfully think it's their yellow book, which it usually isn't, unless they are the owner of the property.

The owner of the property (or the house master) has to contact the Amphoe and ask how to register a foreigner who is living at his property in the house book.

I believe this is correct - Pak Chong Amphur insisted the registered owner was present before they would issue a yellow book. They wouldn't even accept a Power of Attorney - my lawyer said they were wrong to refuse that though. Not a lot you can do once they dig their heels in.

12 hours ago, jackdd said:

The foreigner might be in possession of this book, but it's not "his" (unless the foreigner is the owner).

To say "I have a yellow book" is correct language for use in government offices and coffee shops for a non property owner who is registered in a yellow book.  

You are making a silly distinction about who owns the book.  Do you have a passport?  Do you correct anyone who says that because they do not own the passport?  Absurd.

The yellow book is not about property ownership and can not be used to show ownership.  It is about registering people who live at a property.  It can be managed by a non-owner person called a house master.

42 minutes ago, Dante99 said:

To say "I have a yellow book" is correct language for use in government offices and coffee shops for a non property owner who is registered in a yellow book.  

A foreigner walks into the Amphoe to get "his" yellow book...

Amphoe: We need the Chanote which shows you as owner and the blue book

Foreigner: I'm not the owner, I stay at my girlfriend's house

Amphoe: You can't have a yellow book

The information which he got was correct, even though it could have been more comprehensive. The foreigner then opens a thread here on Thai visa complaining about the Amphoe refusing to issue him a yellow book, or maybe if at the end he manages to get registered in his girlfriend's yellow book, how difficult it was.

If he had asked for the correct thing to begin with it would have been way easier

Edited by jackdd

1 hour ago, wimpy said:

How useful is this yellow book? I assume you still need a certificate of residence when buying a vehicle or getting a DL?

You assume wrong. No cert required - in Chiang Mai DLT near Ping river

Yellow book gives you pink ID card, which gets you Thai prices at most Nat'l parks, hot springs, etc

Can also be used as ID to board aircraft on domestic flights

Edited by canthai55