Getting Married ( The cost)

jonny5

Sorry i tried to edit post but couldn't.

I've been will the GF 15 years , got 3 kids , house , cars etc etc.

So thought it was time to get married. 

It will be a village wedding (Korat) , I was looking at the over all cost and breakdowns if possible?

Wedding party, Food, Drinks , pre wedding photos, all that sort of stuff.

Thanks hope that makes it a bit clearer

Edited by jonny5

It could be interesting to see informations about how much money people is using on a traditional thai wedding.

What part is paying what, at these thai weddings. It looks that it is very important to show a lot of cash money, and the money must come from the male side, after the wedding the money is going to the female family. I know about a guy who take his money back at the end of the wedding, he never get good friend with his wifes family 555, but maybe a way to keep the costs down.

3 minutes ago, jonny5 said:

It will be a village wedding (Korat) , I was looking at the over all cost and breakdowns if possible?

Does it not depend on the number of people you invite the venue you choose and stuff like that. I think you should give an idea about that first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonny5 said:

Just seeing to all the people who have got married, how much did you pay in total for all?

And if you have a rough breakdown that would be great.

A strange question to ask, it would depend on what you want and what you're lady wants. 

What I remember is only buying the wedding rings and her family paid for the day involving monks, and aft & evening blocking the soy with tables and a stage with a live band. 

Woke up the next morning with a raving headache and of to Ko-Samui for our honeymoon. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jonny5 said:

Even more puzzling because you know better. The cost is endless. Live band, endless booze, cost of a cow and pigs to slaughter. Can hit 200,000bht pretty easy.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, jonny5 said:

I left most of it to the 'soon to be' wife.  She bought a traditional Thai 'wedding' dress for apprx. 5,000, We went shopping in the morning together for flowers etc at the local market , another 5,000.  We then had about 30 people at her mothers house where we provided all the food and drink ..about another 10,000.  The ceremony with monks cost a token gesture. Then the evening meal at a restaurant for about 50 people was a staggering 15,000. The restaurant band were the entertainment and there were a few bottles of cheap whisky in with that. Oh, a 'wedding' cake off the shelf was about 2000.

So a cheap day really. Then the money fun started .????

PS. forgot , photographer was a friend ..so nil baht, and brother ran a tour company, so transport was Nil baht. Advantages ( and disadvantages of a large family).

Edited by DaLa
Missed a part out.
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Men are the traditional providers in Thailand.

Oh, I see.

from what I have seen so far, many ladies working and putting children to school, taking care of elderly generation, after the invisible traditional provider did a runner.

men in gainful employment and supporting the family of course do exist, but unfortunately it seems many people split up. The official numbers only concern ampheu registered weddings, temple weddings are, as far as I know, not in statistics

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jonny5 said:

getting married was the only thing I found in Thailand that was free. later We paid 20,000 for a new house 'party' catered for about 150 people+ monks and that included a karaoke. If you are lucky your guests will bring  the invitation along with cash inside the envelope, which could bring in a profit.

• Like 1

First up venue ? Decide where this party paid by you is going to be. 

Last time I did one was in the Garden, got outside caterers, set up 14 tables of 8. Whisky and soft drinks to each table. Stage set up and Band supplied.

Rented costumes/ make-up/ hair for Bride etc.

Photographer & Video

Monks

Party gifts for all attending.

Flowers set up etc etc.

Total was around 40k.

Hope that gives an indication.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jonny5 said:

ok,  let's do the math.    how many people will attend?   how much rice (figure cost).  how many botttles beer ? (figure cost) ..... how many coyote dancers ? (figure cost) ..... how many plates of fatty pork ? (figure cost).......... how much somtam ?  (figure cost) ......... how many fotos ?

sorry, getting tired .   take it from here jonny

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, jonny5 said:

It doesn't matter what others have paid, it's what you can afford. Others have paid from a pittance into tens of millions of baht for such events. Depends on your lifestyle and that of your guests. Each guest will make a donation at the party and the sum of these will likely cover the overall costs anyway, they did in my case. You just got to put the time and effort in and repay in kind when someone else ties the knot to remain an acceptable face of society.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

We married 23 years ago and had a 2 day blast in the Village.  Cost at that time for food, venue, dancing troop, singing, band, new clothes for the girls of the family, dress for Madam.  over a two day party was approx. 80,000 Baht.  It was a great 2 days and we still remember it in detail now. Mind you, Baht was weak and pound strong in those days. Add a Sin Sot of 70,000 to that cost, which her Papa  refunded to us the next week, less a 20,000 'administrative fee'.  He was a policeman after all. ????

80,000 is enough for a new m'bike which is a lot more use than giving the villagers a free feed.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1