How are the checkpoints these days around Pattaya?

TexasDude

Not traveling into town every day but the usual, once a week stop, under the motorway flyover on the railway line bypass, has not been there for about 5-6 weeks. Not seen them on Third Rd either, so must be fewer of them. See more Thai riders who seem unconcerned and that is usually a litmus test. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, baansgr said:

Everyday, everywhere, same places...what's an official stop?...if pulled over can you argue that point?. Stay legal and no problems, licence, copy of rental contract.

Copy of rental contract? Really? Driving licence is all you will be asked for although its wise to carry log book and insurance in the car.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CanadaSam said:

Reminds me of the time I had to pay almost 10k baht for blood alcohol over 50 not so long ago...

Cheap. See how much it would cost you in a Western country. Also, I'll wager that, after paying your "fine" you were allowed to drive home. Love Thailand.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Everyday, everywhere, same places...what's an official stop?...if pulled over can you argue that point?. Stay legal and no problems, licence, copy of rental contract.

Don't know what the rental contract is for but for sure one should carry the green book (bike) or blue book (car) or copies of as well as the por ror bor or copy of.

In answering the OP, I was up in Pattaya for the weekend and saw not one single check point.

43 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Everyday, everywhere, same places

Where's everywhere? Every intersection? What places exactly? How come people who live in Pattaya and drive/ride daily aren't seeing them?

OK, let's summarize the answer to the OP's question as follows: everywhere in the virtual TVF Pattaya, where at every intersection all farang are stopped, harassed, threatened, and extorted daily while Thais are waived through--but nowhere in real Pattaya, not even at Soi 9 (first time in years that checkpoint's been absent).

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Techno Viking said:

Don't know what the rental contract is for but for sure one should carry the green book (bike) or blue book (car) or copies of as well as the por ror bor or copy of.

In answering the OP, I was up in Pattaya for the weekend and saw not one single check point.

I think the new boss of police suspended them for  while, but rumours are he will be starting them up again. With the scarcity of tourists they just aren't that lucrative anymore. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, polpott said:

Absolutely the secret of dealing with police/authorities in Thailand.  A smile, a joke a bucketfull of humility and a few hundred baht will get you everywhere.

I was once stopped on an interstate highway doing 130kph in a 90 limit (hand held speed camera). I wound the window down and he started laughing and said, "Ah! Ferang" I was in Issan so replied, "Bo men, baxida" (Isssan for ferang). He then told me that I had been doing 130. I played dumb and asked him what the limit was. He replied ,"I don't know but you go too fast". We both started laughing, I apologised profusely, and the 400 baht and a ticket was quickly negotiated down to 100 baht for cash and on my way.

That's called mangling with the population. 55555555 In other words Insertion..... VERY very good

On 11/17/2020 at 1:15 PM, Kerryd said:

Right. Sure.
Read it (the OP). That part that says "still as many checkpoints pulling over tourists".

Checkpoint for pulling over TOURISTS.

Get it ? 

The insinuation being that supposedly the police set up checkpoints where they ONLY pull over tourists.
Of course, if you'd read the WHOLE post you would have noted that I mentioned numerous checkpoints that have been set up in the past - where they pull everyone over - not just "tourists".

Like the 3rd line of that post where I said "All the checkpoints I've seen pull everyone over, Thai and tourist,".

I know, that thrashes some people's conceptions that all cops are just out to specifically target tourists, which, if you been here longer than I have, you'd know is total B.S.

You should know by now most of the 'oldies' ( here or not) like to complain and criticize Th. Never mind, living in Jomtien except for the lock-down and curfew period, there are almost never any check-points......

• Like 1
  • Haha 1