How are the checkpoints these days around Pattaya?

TexasDude

On 11/16/2020 at 9:10 AM, TexasDude said:

Are there still as many checkpoints pulling over tourists as I remember? I'm planning on renting a bike for about 1 month. 

There are the checkpoints which check your Licence etc, then there are the ones who are looking for a contribution to their tea money fund. So be prepared to have the proper motorcycle license, or some extra money put aside.

But to answer your question, there are plenty of both.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Helmet on?

Sober (<50 mg)?

Appropriate/valid driving license?

Bike taxed/insured (sticker)?

Copy of green book?

Rental contract if applicable?

Pillion footrest up if riding alone :smile:

Head/back/brake lights working?

Who can add to the checklist?

The only foolproof option for driving license is a valid Thai motorbike license.

All else opens "room for discussion".

I was in Pattaya three times in 2020 driving rented bike.

Stopped two times overall.

Last time in August zero checkpoints experienced.

The "tourist traps" at Soi 9 (police station) and forbidden left turns on red at 3rd rd or 2nd rd deserted.

Most activity observed: tickets and tow away on south Pattaya rd.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/16/2020 at 11:42 AM, Kerryd said:

As far as I know, there have never been any "checkpoints pulling over tourists" here. Ever.

????You must be visually challenged or have been in prison. I have been around (although not at the moment) a little longer than you and they were Checkpoints on a daily basis.

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

The "tourist traps" at Soi 9 (police station) and forbidden left turns on red at 3rd rd or 2nd rd deserted.

Not tourist traps at all. You can sit at the Red Cat bar just up from Soi 9 and watch the cops pulling over plenty of Thais. My Thai gf was herself ticketed after making that left turn on 3rd. Haven't seen any cops there for quite a long time.

Sign has long been changed at 2nd Rd., no longer a trap for stupid farangs.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

????You must be visually challenged or have been in prison. I have been around (although not at the moment) a little longer than you and they were Checkpoints on a daily basis.

Rather, your reading glasses must need updating or you suffer reading comprehension impairment. He didn't say "no checkpoints." I leave the rest as a homework exercise.

• Haha 1

The only ever ‘near unfair’ treatment I received at the hands of the BiB was after an accident. 
The other vehicle had no insurance so the BiB decided it was my fault (I had 1st class insurance). I rejected to accept fault, after a few hours of discussion at the station the BiB relented and said 50:50 (which it probably was). 
This was ok for me. They were just looking for the easiest way out.

Usually waved through any checkpoints in the car or bike. My thoughts are that the BiB ate not really interested in me & are most certainly not specifically targeting foreigners but anyone who fits a ‘chancing the regulations’ profile, 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, scoupeo said:

5000 yes !

Did you miss the other question? Where did it happen and when?

I haven't seen any checkpoints for alcohol of late and when I have seen them they get you to blow into some sort of yellow toy trumpet. So what test did they do on you? 

Let's have some detail, as opposed to piecemeal and having to ask ten questions to get a fuller picture..

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Rather, your reading glasses must need updating or you suffer reading comprehension impairment. He didn't say "no checkpoints." I leave the rest as a homework exercise.

Not at all multitasking doing other things as well. I think you should get out your dictionary and find out have never been any "checkpoints pulling over tourists" here. Ever".

Here is what he said. Maybe use them glasses you are talking about

"As far as I know, there have never been any "checkpoints pulling over tourists" here. Ever".

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The only ever ‘near unfair’ treatment I received at the hands of the BiB was after an accident. 
The other vehicle had no insurance so the BiB decided it was my fault (I had 1st class insurance). I rejected to accept fault, after a few hours of discussion at the station the BiB relented and said 50:50 (which it probably was). 
This was ok for me. They were just looking for the easiest way out.

Usually waved through any checkpoints in the car or bike. My thoughts are that the BiB ate not really interested in me & are most certainly not specifically targeting foreigners but anyone who fits a ‘chancing the regulations’ profile, 

There are some that target foreigners, but they aren't always official.

A couple had a try at extortion recently, but after a few words with them, they were happy to abandon their endeavour with a smile.

48 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Is that an actual law or just a face saving measure to obtain a ‘fine’ when / if the BiB stop a motorcyclist? 

I can't show you a law for that.

I am certain that such was posted here.

33 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

I can't show you a law for that.

I am certain that such was posted here.

Been looking at can't find a reference other than a 2014 thread that links to a FB page where a post was made in 2012 showing a pic of a cop riding a scooter on his way to work. The poster noted that the cop wasn't wearing a helmet, had no mirrors on the scooter and his passenger foot pegs were in the "down" position.
plolicemotorcycle.jpg.5e697ec95f71e5afd509a76a1fdab828.jpg

Checking with some friends (a couple of whom are/were RTP Traffic cops) to see if they can give a definitive answer.

Lol - one of the posts in that thread was from a member who said that whenever he goes through a checkpoint they "always wave the farangs through" and only pull over the Thais.

Edited by Kerryd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2020 at 8:10 AM, ChipButty said:

If you've got everything in order, nothing to worry about

If he had everything in order, would he be asking the question?

Reminds me of the time I had to pay almost 10k baht for blood alcohol over 50 not so long ago...

More importantly, didn't make my date for fishing in a lake, which would  have made that day wonderful....

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BigStar said:

Nonsense. @Kerryd has it exactly right in his above post, as I can attest from driving in Pattaya almost daily.

I don't live in Pattaya, but every time I go there, the police checkpoints are there all over the place, I know personally people who sick to the back roads to avoid them.

but maybe things are different now as I have not been to Pattaya since the Virus.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Not at all multitasking doing other things as well. I think you should get out your dictionary and find out have never been any "checkpoints pulling over tourists" here. Ever".

Here is what he said. Maybe use them glasses you are talking about

"As far as I know, there have never been any "checkpoints pulling over tourists" here. Ever".

But, without the reading glasses, you missed the "pulling over tourists" restriction and falsely generalized the subject to they were Checkpoints. Then you either failed to see, or comprehend, the rest of @Kerryd 's post where he elaborates.

So the meaning was perfectly clear that he was addressing the OP's paranoia that he's going to be targeted as a tourist at checkpoints targeted at tourists, or farang, one of the favorite bugbears of our tinfoil hat and professional victims brigade.

image.png.f5de8071f6438966685d692a2e467dc1.png

Farang spotter on duty at "farangs targeted" listening post off Soi Buakhao

So then he explained it all again to you here. There are no such checkpoints. Please don't let multitasking prevent you from completing your homework assignments correctly. Are we done?

On 11/16/2020 at 9:10 AM, TexasDude said:

Are there still as many checkpoints pulling over tourists as I remember? I'm planning on renting a bike for about 1 month. 

get on your bike and take a chance like we all do here....

who knows when and where a checkpoint will be......silly post really

• Like 1