lost button

Meat Pie 47

Which/what button you are referring to......? There is  a new feature with three small square dots

that gives you the option to report or share a post.....

12 hours ago, bendejo said:

Is this it?

If that's missing  you can be sure you're looking at a clone...

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

if you can create a whole

new website in about 24 hours how long does it take to modify that?

Having someone at ThaiVisa/TheNation pushing a button to 'upgrade/update' the forum software and let it wreck whatever havoc that eventually entails is not take the same skill level that writing/inserting custom code involves.

Invision (the developer of the forum software) removed the "back to top" button from the software in 2011, and has spent 9+ years having to explain why they removed it. It's supposedly available as a Invision Marketplace addin plugin, but ThaiVisa would have to find someone capable of clicking the mouse button more than just a few times to install it.

2 hours ago, RichCor said:

removed the "back to top" button from the software in 2011,

Thanks but can't say I have missed it. :thumbsup:

Do you happen to know when the post # disappeared. I only noticed relatively recently, when I wanted to refer to a previous post without quoting, that it had gone...... 

Having someone at ThaiVisa/TheNation pushing a button to 'upgrade/update' the forum software and let it wreck whatever havoc that eventually entails is not take the same skill level that writing/inserting custom code involves.

Not correct. Invision is responsible for the forum maintenance and etc now. Been that way for a couple of years now.

They are the ones that need to get the button working again.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

Not correct. Invision is responsible for the forum maintenance and etc now. Been that way for a couple of years now.

With all due respect, as I understand it the use of 3rd party plugins, which the back to top functionality is, is not included in Invision hosting plans. That is still the domain of the site owners.

Invision support will help get you out of the proverbial if they can if a 3rd party plugin causes issues but they don't "support" 3rd party plugins (as in the code itself). Site admins are responsible for installing 3rd party plugins in the normal course of events and the timing of core updates. 

17 minutes ago, topt said:

Do you happen to know when the post # disappeared. I only noticed relatively recently, when I wanted to refer to a previous post without quoting, that it had gone......

Like the back to top functionality the post number is a 3rd party plugin. It was removed from the core forum code a number of years ago as it was deemed as pointless. Which it really is, particularly in large threads where multiple posts get removed by mods resulting in the posts numbers being "wrong" (i.e. someone could reference post #120 but with the subsequent removal of posts what was post #120 can quickly become post #114 to the normal user, a fact that would not be reflected in the post the reference was made). 

Up to TV if they want to reinstate the functionality; last time I looked the 3rd party plugin hadn't been updated to work with the current core code (I did paste a link in a thread on here to an unofficial update), not sure if it has been since or if it will be.

13 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

I was talking about the fast upward button or what ever you call it

If you want to go to the top of the page, just press HOME key.

More annoyingly, what happened to the # number on each post, making it easy to quote which particular post you are replying or referring to.

Sorry Salerno, I only just saw that you asked the same

Edited by KannikaP

4 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The button is supposedly available as a Invision Marketplace addon plugin.  The person who decides to attach it to the site is usually the local admin (button pusher). 

"Back to Top"

Invision Marketplace Member Extensions | By Pete T | Updated: Sept 11

This plugin allows back to top to be added to your site it has few settings.

Forum users who have actual keyboards can instead use the HOME and END buttons to jump up or down the page.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, RichCor said:

The button is supposedly available as a Invision Marketplace addon plugin.  The person who decides to attach it to the site is usually the local admin (button pusher). 

They have been informed of that problem and others but have not done some of them yet.

59 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I didn't ask the same, I explained why it is in reality not much use in fast moving communities with a number of contentious posts that are removed ????

Rather than use an arbitrary number, that can be wrong, much better to reference via a link/quote as that will always be correct (assuming the post referenced isn't deleted of course).

Edited by Salerno
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Salerno said:

It was removed from the core forum code a number of years ago as it was deemed as pointless.

I don't remember it disappearing that long ago but is possible i guess although @RichCor seemed to suggest it was more recent......Certainly was not pointless for me and others who used it but I understand what you are saying.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Was me :thumbsup:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, topt said:

I don't remember it disappearing that long ago but is possible i guess although @RichCor seemed to suggest it was more recent

Post numbering used to be in the core software - when it was removed from core years ago (due to reasons I've outlined above), a 3rd party plugin was developed. TV installed the 3rd party plugin so in affect, no practical difference to the user.

When using 3rd party plugins site owners rely on the external developers to update their plugins each time the core software is updated. At the time of the last core update on TV, the plugin no longer worked which is the timing mentioned by @RichCor.

So your memory is correct, just unaware of the background (not something people need to know really). Sorry for the confusion.

Edited by Salerno
  • Thanks 2