Identity of "Giant Limes"

1 minute ago, DannyS1951 said:

They are a bit big and the wrong shape though.

See lemons here (in Australia) like them all the time off my sisters lemon tree and at work (during various seasons people bring in bags of excess fruit etc. they have produced for people to help themselves to).

1 minute ago, DannyS1951 said:

This is what I think of as a lemon.

Mainly because of where and when we grew up though. Supermarkets want fruit and veg to be "pretty" and reject those that aren't. Bit of a fight back was started a couple of years ago due to food wastage: 

Reducing-food-waste-with-ugly-fruit-veg-bunch.png.1245347c061eb526a0ea92e8bd79a981.pngThe-Odd-bunch-bunch.png.5ef920259043b253b20cf32f2291ee0c.png

I was going to mention that some of the lemons colleagues brought in had me confused and caused some merriment when I asked if they where grapefruit due to the size and shape (what would I know, I'm a city boy 555).

• Thanks 1

They're almost certainly lemons. Cut one open and see.

Many trees in Australia grow them like the ones pictured. Also grafted trees can produce fruit unlike the pretty ones some people believe all should be. 

I had a tree that produced both oranges and grapefruit because shoots from below the graft were allowed to grow to maturity.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DannyS1951 said:

Could anyone tell me what these are growing in the garden. I don't think they are pomelos. I was just told they were giant limes. A large lime shown in comparison. Thanks, Danny

253655936_giantlimes.jpg.18e8c465cc6a2f98c2358799f5496a3e.jpg

You should stop giving them energy drinks.

• Haha 1

They are known as มะนาวยักษ์  Mano-Yak, in Thai, I have a plant in the garden, brought it at  an agriculture  show  in Bangkok ,my local plant woman has them for sale ,so does Lazada ,same size fruit as the op's.

Photo from the show  same  plants as mine ,also mine have no pips .

RIMG0266.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the suggestions, but I misdirected everyone with my question. I have pinned it down now. I should of applied the Occan's razor principle which is to go with the most obvious answer first;-) If it looks like a grapefruit, it probably is. They do take many months to turn yellow, but have eaten a half of one for breakfast there is no doubt in my mind.

grapefruit.jpg.63ae0d24d58baf368cfc4f558f168b4e.jpg