Pruning plants ? How to cut the MOK trees and is it important to cut them or is it just for look ?

sncoem

Hello,

In front of the house I have plants that I think are called MOK in Thai ? I found this thread and they look like this.

I have found a similar question but no reply so do you know how I should cut them and does it apply to any plant ?

Is it important to prune them, how and when to do it ?

Cheers.

Light thinning and shaping of water jasmine is usually all that is required.

If the plants are grown as a hedge or for screening purpose, then shaping the longest, tallest shoots down into the intended height and shape, without excessive reduction cuts is easy to do. It's best to do this frequently, like monthly, so that excessive reduction is never needed. Heavy reduction produces and heavy growth response and sets you up for major maintenance needs. 

If the plants are grown as individuals, with natural form and beauty preserved, then light thinning and structural corrections can accompany a light shaping. 

Pruning should always be done based on assessment of the current condition of the plant, intended function (screening, ornamental aesthetics, flowering, fruiting) size and density of foliage and other factors. Trees and shrubs should be pruned only with purpose and with awareness of the growth response and physiological effects. Heavy pruning means reduction of leaf surface and therefore reduction in capacity for photosynthesis of sugars that nourish the plant. Heavy reduction pruning can result in stress and susceptibility to pests and disease, starvation, and a drastic vegetative growth response as the plant tries to regain leaf surface for food manufacture. 

Water management and fertilization should be considered along with timing of a pruning operation. Pruning after the primary flowering cycle is preferred. Pruning in early spring will produce a heavier growth response during spring flush of growth. Pruning during fall or dry season will mean less of a growth response, species, site conditions, soil moisture and other factors considered. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, drtreelove said:

Light thinning and shaping of water jasmine is usually all that is required.

If the plants are grown as a hedge or for screening purpose, then shaping the longest, tallest shoots down into the intended height and shape, without excessive reduction cuts is easy to do. It's best to do this frequently, like monthly, so that excessive reduction is never needed. Heavy reduction produces and heavy growth response and sets you up for major maintenance needs. 

If the plants are grown as individuals, with natural form and beauty preserved, then light thinning and structural corrections can accompany a light shaping. 

Pruning should always be done based on assessment of the current condition of the plant, intended function (screening, ornamental aesthetics, flowering, fruiting) size and density of foliage and other factors. Trees and shrubs should be pruned only with purpose and with awareness of the growth response and physiological effects. Heavy pruning means reduction of leaf surface and therefore reduction in capacity for photosynthesis of sugars that nourish the plant. Heavy reduction pruning can result in stress and susceptibility to pests and disease, starvation, and a drastic vegetative growth response as the plant tries to regain leaf surface for food manufacture. 

Water management and fertilization should be considered along with timing of a pruning operation. Pruning after the primary flowering cycle is preferred. Pruning in early spring will produce a heavier growth response during spring flush of growth. Pruning during fall or dry season will mean less of a growth response, species, site conditions, soil moisture and other factors considered. 

Thank you, so I should cut the top when they are tall enough and then they will go wide ?

You said April, so now it's not the correct time to do it ?

Mine almost never have flowers, maybe because I never fertilize ?

Thanks again !

A few of our neighbours use this plant as hedging. They prune it like a hedge, so don't worry too much. 

The reason that April is mentioned as an appropriate time for pruning is that that is the start of the rainy season and so the plant will grow again. If you prune now it will stay pruned, if you want it to grow you can water, keeping in mind that newly planted bushes will need more water. 

They grow well in a pot, need watering.

Flowers: yes they need fertiliser, preferably slow release.