Bike without a book.

jvs

There has been a lot of talk about bikes for sale without them being registered,no book.

The general advice is to not touch a deal like that because the bike will never be in your name and is not legal?

Some people say you do not need a book to get it insured as long as you have an invoice proving it has been imported.

Riding without a plate is a 500 baht fine but if there is no book it is not allowed on the road?

Any one out there with know how about the law regarding this?

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, jvs said:

The general advice is to not touch a deal like that because the bike will never be in your name and is not legal?

You have answered your own question.

No company in the known universe will insure a bike that has no number plate or registration papers.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Thanks 1

It depends. The important thing is that you clearly know what you're getting into.

A few points...

If you buy a bike without book and ride it on your property or somewhere in the countryside, the chances of encountering legal problems are greatly reduced. 
However, if you plan on riding in a city or on longer trips, then I would strongly advice you against getting a bike without a book.

Price is also a consideration. Losing a 20k Baht bike to the police is not the same as saying goodbye to a 400k bike. 

Finally...availability. 15 years ago we were very far from the great variety of bike brands and models we have today. Unless there is a rare vintage bike you really have to have, getting a legal bike is probably the best idea.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

No company in the known universe will insure a bike that has no number plate or registration papers.

I believe you but i was told by a biker that he did insure it with only the invoice.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, jvs said:

I believe you but i was told by a biker that he did insure it with only the invoice.

I think you can get the standard government insurance when you pay the annual tax, but that doesn't make it legal. Plus, in case of an accident it's worthless anyway, since your bike won't be legal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

No green book, probably stolen

Nah. The probability is much higher that the bike was imported in parts some time in the past and then couldn't be legally registered, or the owner lost the GB and never bothered to get a new one, or the owner died and the family didn't get a new one.....Bike theft is not as widespread here as it is in Europe or elsewhere.

Let's not forget that importing bikes in parts and not bothering with registrations was a common practice up to 15 years ago. Still plenty of those bikes around.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jvs said:

There has been a lot of talk about bikes for sale without them being registered,no book.

Some people say you do not need a book to get it insured as long as you have an invoice proving it has been imported.

Riding without a plate is a 500 baht fine but if there is no book it is not allowed on the road?

The bike is not legal, so don't touch it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jvs said:

Any bike can be CTPL insured as you say if an invoice of sale is shown but not worth the bother nowadays.

I use to do it 14 years ago but now there are many of cheap bikes about.

Unlike years ago the police will confiscate the bike

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

Nah. The probability is much higher that the bike was imported in parts some time in the past and then couldn't be legally registered, or the owner lost the GB and never bothered to get a new one, or the owner died and the family didn't get a new one.....Bike theft is not as widespread here as it is in Europe or elsewhere.

Let's not forget that importing bikes in parts and not bothering with registrations was a common practice up to 15 years ago. Still plenty of those bikes around.

Bikes get stolen all the time, two outside my last place, police aren't that interested even with CCTV

12 hours ago, Sunmaster said:

If you buy a bike without book and ride it on your property or somewhere in the countryside, the chances of encountering legal problems are greatly reduced. 
However, if you plan on riding in a city or on longer trips, then I would strongly advice you against getting a bike without a book.

I've never been asked to produce green book whilst being pulled over by the police, normally only license and sometimes insurance docs.

I always keep a copy of the green book under my seat  the police stops around Pattaya have looked at it a couple of times   at those stops they pulled over every single bike on Sukhumvit road and checked for everything

licence,tax,insurance,number plate,helmet and green book  a copy is acceptable.

10 hours ago, dddave said:

Are you kidding?  Where do you think half the bikes; especially hi-end bikes in Cambodia and Myanmar come from?

Why would I be kidding?
I guess it depends on where you live. Been here nearly 15 years and don't know of even one case of bike theft around here or among my circle of friends spread around Thailand. I know of several book-less bikes confiscated by the police though....so I guess, it also depends on how you define "bike theft". ???? 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I've never been asked to produce green book whilst being pulled over by the police, normally only license and sometimes insurance docs.

Have you ever been pulled over by the police not having a number plate on ya bike that's the sort of bike that OP is asking about.

OK on the spot small years ago but not now, you lose the bike.

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

But your bike has a plate ?

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

What insurance are they asking for ? its not compulsory to have insurance, and why would anyone be carrying the policy around.

por lor bor, you dont get a yearly sticker unless that is already paid.

Edited by Peterw42

14 hours ago, jvs said:

You could try to go with the person who sells the bike to the registration office. Maybe they have already a record of the bike (i.e. lost papers, stolen, etc.) If the person who sells the bike does not want to do that they you have another reason to stay away from this.

Just make sure you don't pay anything or don't take the bike so that nobody has a reason to accuse you of theft or keeping stolen goods.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

You could try to go with the person who sells the bike to the registration office. Maybe they have already a record of the bike (i.e. lost papers, stolen, etc.) If the person who sells the bike does not want to do that they you have another reason to stay away from this.

Just make sure you don't pay anything or don't take the bike so that nobody has a reason to accuse you of theft or keeping stolen goods.

Reading between the lines, I think the OP is talking about an imported big bike, ( he mentions an import receipt), so the normal go to the DLT for paperwork wouldn't apply, the bike has probably never existed in thailand, probably came in as a wreck/parts

42 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Reading between the lines, I think the OP is talking about an imported big bike, ( he mentions an import receipt), so the normal go to the DLT for paperwork wouldn't apply, the bike has probably never existed in thailand, probably came in as a wreck/parts

Also a wreck/parts could be stolen.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about a bike without registration. That is not perfect but not too unusual. But riding around with a stolen bike is definitely not a good idea.