Thai students defy school dress code on the first day of the second semester

snoop1130

17 hours ago, CLW said:

Nonsense, the rich kids aren't in those schools, they are studying abroad

If studying abroad at Christ's Hospital Public School in England, this would be their uniform - designer???? The "yellow" would be very appropriate!!!!

Christ's Hospital students in England wear the same uniform since 1556 |  Boarding schools in england, Boarding school, School

18 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Its about the kids being equal and the rich kids not wearing expensive designer clothes and the poor kids not wearing rags .

as many farang at first i was "against" the school uniform, "its taking away their individuality bla bla bla."

but as you point out, the school uniform is there for a good reason. to make the kids more equal, to foster harmony, etc. 

also its just a few students in bkk who are making a fuzz and show up in casual clothes. The schools should not make this an important issue and let these few rotten appels (sorry but thats what they are) disrupt the school. just enforce the rules, let these kids wear a uniform or take their attitude somewhere else.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

Just a casual observation , but kids in School uniforms seem to act more maturely and responsibly .

In shopping malls and restaurants , kids in school uniforms seem to be well behaved .

It always seems to be the kids without school uniforms that are noisy, misbehaving and running amok .

13 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Because some parents send their kids to school wearing the same unwashed clothes everyday , and they are filthy  by Fridays .

A different colour uniform everyday encourages the parents to send their kids to school in clean clothes .

I do my sons laundry on Wednesday and Saturday and I have to scrub using Hygiene on the collars hard to get the crud off. That is before they go into the washing machine.

Fortunately I am retired and can afford the time and the uniforms to do so. Many of the villagers are not so lucky as we are and have to work long hours for small money to get even 1 or 2 sets of uniform.

quote from your post, " Because some parents send their kids to school wearing the same unwashed clothes everyday , and they are filthy  by Fridays .

I was one of those children during the 1950s in the UK. My Mum would go to jumble sales and second hand shops to find hand me down school clothes and shoes for me.

Edited by billd766
Bad spelling

38 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Just a casual observation , but kids in School uniforms seem to act more maturely and responsibly .

In shopping malls and restaurants , kids in school uniforms seem to be well behaved .

It always seems to be the kids without school uniforms that are noisy, misbehaving and running amok .

Uni uniforms as seen in MBK are popular with men.

• Haha 2

I'm from a country, Denmark, where we didn't wear school uniforms – apart from in some few hi-end private schools – and growing up with that freedom I considered school uniforms as a silly restriction. However later, I could see some benefits with uniforms to at least a certain degree, as it make the students more equal, and setting focus on education rather than making face with fancy brand outfit. The latter was not the case when I was young enough for school – I admit it's long time ago – but already from mid of the 1980s it began.

My teen daughter recently moved to another international school here in Thailand. The reason was that the old school didn't continue with higher class levels; however, the old school were strict about uniforms, and private jackets – which should be dark blue with no labels or logo – and hairstyle, no coloring allowed, and black shoes; her new school has no such restriction, the students can wear fancy brand name jackets and shoes, making kind of demand for at least the right style of sneakers. From Y12 (Year 12) they don't need to wear uniforms.

The kids love the freedom, I'm not sure if anyone makes a bit face, or just everybody with children in an international school can afford the right style of shoes and jackets, if the kid(s) wish to wear them. I'm probably among the lower half of the parent-income group in that school – however I can still both afford, and accept, some level of brand name clothes for my daughter, she is luckily not too crazy about it – but in the earlier school with strict norms there were about 50 percent Thai-Thai children, and compared to the brand names on their parents cars, I must have been considered poor, whilst the students in strict demands of school uniform appeared extremely equal...:whistling:

So I've changed my view and see benefits with a certain degree of school uniform, I however prefer the school – my daughter's new school – with also some level of freedom included...????

Furthermore I see a point in @Emdog's post...

6 hours ago, Emdog said:

I taught at an inner city high school in USA. Some of us promoted uniforms for many of the reasons already cited: easy to tell intruders (very important... think second amendment "freedoms". One of my students went to nearby school and shot rival dead. Maybe it wouldn't have happened if he could have been identified as not belonging there...

Full post HERE.

21 hours ago, CLW said:

Some schools are Bt500,000 + annual fees. These are rich kids. Maybe you should look and see for yourself how much international schools charge. I do, however, believe in school unifors. There is an equity about it. I cetainly believe in the college and uni uniforms for the girls. There is an absolute perv factor about it.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

. I do, however, believe in school unifors. There is an equity about it. I cetainly believe in the college and uni uniforms for the girls. There is an absolute perv factor about it.

Yes some of those Uni girls these days are showing ample equity.

Edited by Techno Viking

7 hours ago, Emdog said:

I taught at an inner city high school in USA. Some of us promoted uniforms for many of the reasons already cited: easy to tell intruders (very important... think second amendment "freedoms". One of my students went to nearby school and shot rival dead. Maybe it wouldn't have happened if he could have been identified as not belonging there. He'd been expelled week earlier for smashing windshield of teacher's car), level better off from not so much & don't waste time picking outfit of the day (I was teaching during time when kid was killed for a pair of Air Jordans), sends message "this is not the street, this is your "job" for now".

A few public schools have uniforms, and many private. I'd say let the students do what they want regarding hair styles, but keep uniforms (not 4-5 different ones...).

Sadly, education in US isn't "equal for all": needs in poorer areas far greater than well off schools; parents at richer schools donate great sums for extra computers, etc. School funding often depend on property taxes... Santa Barbara isn't Compton.

Oh, and US education is not the envy of the world. Typically far down list regarding "education outcomes". I put lots of that on culture. Had a girl from Vietnam who came as freshman, knew very little English. Graduated head of her class. If you want to learn, no one can stop you. If you don't, no one can teach you.

You obviously didn't teach Sarcasm 101. ????

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Its about the kids being equal and the rich kids not wearing expensive designer clothes and the poor kids not wearing rags .

Ridiculous. Clothing is very cheap in Thailand and can be purchased cheaper than uniforms. Flea markets sell it for pennies. 

Besides, kids all know where the stand compared to others. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Never had these problems of yours in the Netherlands where we don't wear school uniforms.

Next?

What are you talking about?  I was responding to what someone else wrote, not putting forward any problems at all.

Do you actually have a point to make or anything to add to the debate?

2 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Ridiculous. Clothing is very cheap in Thailand and can be purchased cheaper than uniforms. Flea markets sell it for pennies. 

Besides, kids all know where the stand compared to others. 

Not all parents are willing /able to buy their kids new clothes .

You'd have some kids going to school wearing new designer clothes and their friends walking around in old second hand rags/clothes , it would put pressure on the poorer families to keep up clothes wise with the more affluent kids families .

Its a school, NOT a fashion parade .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AlexO said:

Do you honestly believe what you have posted??

Yes, of course.  I answered the points that were brought up in the original post.

It doesn't matter what you say about uniforms or feudalism.  The fact remains that it is far easier to spot an intruder in a school that has uniforms than one that does not.  Especially if you were unaware that they were present.  The point made about ID cards is not a strong one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CorpusChristie said:

Not all parents are willing /able to buy their kids new clothes .

You'd have some kids going to school wearing new designer clothes and their friends walking around in old second hand rags/clothes , it would put pressure on the poorer families to keep up clothes wise with the more affluent kids families .

Its a school, NOT a fashion parade .

I understand this tired argument; it's raged for decades and been stated several times in this very thread. Repetition does not make something true. I just don't buy it. 

First, they don't have to buy new clothes. I often got clothes from my older brothers. They were not rags. Presentable but economical clothes are available everywhere. 

Second, if parents cave into pressure from their kids that easily then clothes are the least of their worries. 

Third, kids outgrow clothes so they have to have more constantly, uniforms or not. Many parents must buy several uniforms or wash them constantly and they are unsuitable for other occasions. 

Fourth, the kids should definitely be allowed to wear a uniform if they want to. They should not be forced to. Children actually are individuals and uniforms don't change that. They will distinguish  themselves in one way or another. I've stated several times on this thread that jewelry and other personal items do this anyway. So far nobody has addressed or disputed it; they just ignore it. 

Finally, kids already know that different people have different income levels. Uniforms don't change that. Maybe it's the parents who are having trouble accepting that truth. Either way that's the reality of life. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

They will distinguish  themselves in one way or another. I've stated several times on this thread that jewelry and other personal items do this anyway. So far nobody has addressed or disputed it; they just ignore it. 

Jewellery and various other personal items  arent  permitted to be worn in schools and school bags are quite uniform 

5 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

First, they don't have to buy new clothes. I often got clothes from my older brothers. They were not rags. Presentable but economical clothes are available everywhere. 

We are talking about schools in Thailand , we arent talking about when you went to school .

Even in village schools , you have some kids going to school wearing clean new school uniforms and other kids wearing filthy smelly old uniforms that get washed once a week and they smell like they sleep in the clothes .

The situation would be exacerbated if kids could wear non school uniform clothes

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Finally, kids already know that different people have different income levels. Uniforms don't change that. Maybe it's the parents who are having trouble accepting that truth. Either way that's the reality of life. 

I dont think they do, kids just see their mates getting new things and dont understand why their parents wont give them the same 

On 12/1/2020 at 5:17 PM, CorpusChristie said:

That was one of the reasons some schools in the US went to uniforms 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

The situation would be exacerbated if kids could wear non school uniform clothes

I beg to differ. The kids you keep talking down "...kids wearing filthy smelly old uniforms that get washed once a week and they smell like they sleep in the clothes." no doubt do so because the family can't afford multiple sets of school uniform and for whatever reason don't wash them every night. Over time the single set obviously gets old and tatty and therefore sets them up for bullying by those "rich" kids who's family can afford multiple sets.

Non uniform, but with set standards (no logos, length of skirts, state of repair etc.), could at least alleviate your main issue of "...kids wearing filthy smelly old uniforms that get washed once a week and they smell like they sleep in the clothes."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Salerno said:

I beg to differ. The kids you keep talking down "...kids wearing filthy smelly old uniforms that get washed once a week and they smell like they sleep in the clothes." no doubt do so because the family can't afford multiple sets of school uniform and for whatever reason don't wash them every night. Over time the single set obviously gets old and tatty and therefore sets them up for bullying by those "rich" kids who's family can afford multiple sets.

Non uniform, but with set standards (no logos, length of skirts, state of repair etc.), could at least alleviate your main issue of "...kids wearing filthy smelly old uniforms that get washed once a week and they smell like they sleep in the clothes."

They are still clothes , whether they be school uniforms or casual clothes .

Not sure where you come from , but where I came from , the poorer kids were more likely to bully the richer kids .

Its the poor kids that I have sympathy for , seeing them feel inadequate because they dont have what the richer kids have .

11 hours ago, BangkokReady said:

The fact remains that it is far easier to spot an intruder in a school that has uniforms than one that does not.

There is only 1 country in the world where this is really an issue. And uniforms are neither the root cause or solution to that problem...

On 12/1/2020 at 5:27 PM, CLW said:

Not necessarily. Those are the top schools in Thailand and their parents have pushed them since kindy with extra classes to get them into those schools. They produce to majority of professionals, especially doctors, dentists and engineers, in Thailand.