Thai students defy school dress code on the first day of the second semester

snoop1130

Thai students defy school dress code on the first day of the second semester

1-stu.jpg

Students at several schools in Bangkok have purposely not worn the specified school uniforms today, the first day of the second semester, in a collective show of civil disobedience.

The defiance of school uniform regulations is in response to a campaign by the Bad Student group, who believe students should have the right to wear whatever they like, as a school uniform has nothing to do with education.

At Samsenwittayalai public school, one male student was seen wearing the orange and yellow outfit of the iconic duck mascot of the Ratsadon anti-establishment group over his uniform, while a female student wore multi-coloured headgear, the symbol of the LGBT movement. The majority of the students, however, wore their uniforms. One Mathayom 5 student said that the uniform means extra expense for parents, while students already have casual clothes and should be able to wear them to school. Another said that all students carry ID cards, to prove who they are, so there is no need for uniforms.

Boonyapong Pothiwatthanat, the school director, said this morning that the school was unprepared for this situation, so they allowed all students to enter the compound.

He said, however, that the students must be reminded of the dress code, which is still enforceable, and that those who do not abide by it will be dealt with according to the regulations, but they will not be barred from attending class.

The Office of the Basic Education Commission earlier instructed all schools not to ban students from wearing casual clothes, but maintains that the school dress code still applies.

The Bad Student group said on its webpage today that it will compile a list of schools, which are forbidding students, who do not wear uniform, from entering the school and summoning parents to school to discuss the issue, and will denounce them on its webpage. The webpage has, as of 10.06am today, received 174 complaints from students at Saint Joseph’s Convent School, followed by 114 complaints from students at Sarawittayalai School and 65 from students at Si Racha School.

According to The Isaan Record webpage, students at Kaen Nakhon Wittayalai School, in the northeastern province of Khon Kaen, who were not wearing uniforms, were separated in a conference hall and barred from attending the daily playing of the national anthem.

Education Minister Nuttapol Teepsuwan accused those behind the no-uniform campaign of being cruel and of manipulating students into conflict with their educational institutions.

He said that he has the responsibility for enforcing the regulations, adding that officials and schools are still in the process of working out an appropriate solution to the school uniform issue.

The minister noted that there may be problems if students nationwide are allowed to wear casual outfits every day, but hinted that it may be possible to allow students to wear casual dress once a month, while claiming that over half of the students and parents are happy with school uniforms.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/thai-students-defy-school-dress-code-on-the-first-day-of-the-second-semester/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-12-01

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, fangless said:

Which cost nothing apart from alterations while poor mums keep kids from school because they cannot afford the uniform(s)!

They are legally required to send their kids to school .

If they can afford non uniform clothes, then they can afford uniforms .

Every Mother in Thailand can afford to pay for school uniforms , 

• Like 2
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 10

30 minutes ago, djayz said:

Well, at least now we know you weren't hired for your planning skills khun Boonyapong.

Although I understand the situation, I do feel that all students wearing a uniform is the lesser of two evils. I don't, however, understand - or agree with - students needing a different uniform for everyday of the week. Complete and utter waste of money and an additional cost for many parents, especially those who struggle to make ends meet. I wonder  do any of these school directors have shares in school uniform shops? 

I've never seen daily school uniforms in Thailand. Are you thinking of Thai Colors of the Day? That's why Thai often wear red on Sundays. 

• Sad 4

39 minutes ago, fangless said:

As usual a bold and false statement from you not based on facts.  Parents do NOT need to send their children to school. 
Home-schooling is legal in Thailand. Thailand's constitution and education law explicitly recognize alternative education and considers the family to be an educational institution. A home-school law passed in 2004, Ministerial Regulation No. 3 on the right to basic education by the family, governs home-schooling.

Yes, home schooling is allowed , but I don't think that uneducated poor parents  would qualify for the home schooling scheme .

In the instances of what we are talking about , parents who cannot afford a school uniform, are highly unlikely to qualify for being a parent/teacher .

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Yes, home schooling is allowed , but I don't think that uneducated poor parents  would qualify for the home schooling scheme .

In the instances of what we are talking about , parents who cannot afford a school uniform, are highly unlikely to qualify for being a parent/teacher .

Read the act on home schooling and remember this is Thailand (TITS)! where the observance and how the implementation of rules are or are not applied!

Please do not bother to respond to me on this, or anything else for that matter, as I have nothing more to say to you on this.

Edited by fangless
Removed a line!
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, fangless said:

Read the act on home schooling and remember this is Thailand (TITS)! where the observance and how the implementation of rules are or are not applied!

Please do not bother to respond to me on this, or anything else for that matter, as I have nothing more to say to you on this.

You are suggesting that Parents who cannot afford the 1000 odd Baht for a school uniform will decide to take a 10 years off work, buy all the necessary  school books and home school their kids !!!!!!!!

Potentially losing 1-2 million Baht in wages over ten years , spending 10's of 1000s of Baht on school books , just to save themselves having to buy school uniforms !!!!!!

I dont think so

• Like 1

The more I read this, and similar threads, the more I want to take my boy back to Europe for schooling... 

Empty heads, but they have time to parade around waving flags... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

59 minutes ago, poohy said:

Simply not true

even the scabbiest schools have about 4 daily uniforms each week

Why cannot secondhand uniforms be used or poorer families and only one uniform at that

Answer someone's making money out of it

Because some parents send their kids to school wearing the same unwashed clothes everyday , and they are filthy  by Fridays .

A different colour uniform everyday encourages the parents to send their kids to school in clean clothes .

• Like 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1