Bangkok bank account

The only UK bank (or bank with branch in UK) is HSBC. Even they treat their Thai office as a separate bank. If you want to open a Thai account you will have to do it in Thailand. If it is to be a personal account, you will need a work permit. If it is a business account you will need the certificates (incorperation, VAt etc).

I have been around to all the high street banks with no luck (I too wanted to do this). If you find another wa, please let me know!

Its easy and straightforward to open an account in LOS but not overseas.I have 3-4 including Bangkok Bank,Bank of Asia and another (forget)and next time will open one with Thai Farmers (good bal.check)All you need is your passport and usually an address.I used the Honey Hotel (soi 19)for over 5 years.

For a current/business/internet a/c you need a work permit....but if you trust a Thai-Wife-Very Very Very Very good friend then can do.but not in your name :ghostface:

I got khun wife to set up my internet with BB since we both keep the odd satang in it for kin kao and £ transfer easy and also between other banks.

As my previous threads have mentioned the best ATM is (if in UK) the old Nationwide flex.A/C.It can be used in almost all Thai ATMs,NO Bank Charges,No trans Fees and Inter bank rate not tourist Rip Off levels of 62bts to the £.

I only ever take out usually the max.of 20.000 Bt a day but believe you can increase the amount.(as long as you have it in the first place)

As above I found that Thai Farmers ATM will also give you a balance of your £. a/c in Thai Baht.Good One.

The BB ATM card I have has been used to withdraw money here in London but why bother its easier to leave it there.

ThaiAdventure:

What about Standard Chartered Bank ??

They are in UK and Thailand and they will let you keep your money in sterling if you want.

Lopburi:

A lot of confusion here about whether you need a work permit or not. I agree with you that you do not need a permit to open an account with a Thai bank but the Standard Charter website asks for one. Is it possible that you need a permit for a foreign bank but not for a Thai bank ??

To open a bank account in Thailand:

You must be in the country and with enough baht in cash ie: £1000 (67,000 baht) no local bank will refuse to to take that amount off you to open an account, believe me. Passport and local address (hotel) needed.

They will only give you a atm card for with-draw cash only and no cheque book or credit card.

The best banks are at the main Tourist area's because they are used to dealing with farangs with "money".

Good Luck

Sev

:cool:

Lopburi:

A lot of confusion here about whether you need a work permit or not. I agree with you that you do not need a permit to open an account with a Thai bank but the Standard Charter website asks for one.

Agree that this is often stated and some banks still think it is the case and people have to shop around sometimes.  It became a big problem when the money laundry laws were being passed down a few years ago.  The idea of work permit got on some paperwork (some say) and was taken as law for awhile.  But obviously diplomats, retired and such have no work permit so they quickly took back the words they never said.  As for SC have no idea but suspect it is on paper rather than a requirement (when I first opened internet account it was also on paper that a work permit was required).

I opened my latest bank a/c couple of weeks ago with

Bt.10.000 but no internet/cheque book because I do/did not/ever had  a work permit.

The best ones to hit (agree) are in the heavily visited tourist areas.The B.B.on Suk.Rd opposite the Ambassadors Hotel is easy and straightforward,just go upstairs to new A/cs and ask for one -passport and address plus some dosh and thats it. ::o: