Does this price seem about right for insurance?

giddyup

I've been using the same insurance company for my Mitsu Triton since I bought the vehicle new, now it's nearly 6 years old. Well the first year was free, but the premium has been decreasing every year since then, except for the last year and now this year where it has remained the same, ie 11000 baht. The company says this premium is as low as it can go and it won't get any cheaper in subsequent years. In the 6 years have never made a claim either. Obviously the payout figure gets less every year as the vehicle is worth less, so does this premium sound about right?

Just now, transam said:

Get the Mrs to insure it, you as a named driver, did that on Mrs.Trans car...See if that still works with the online form..

Not much point if they specify the named driver can't be over 70. Just interested in what other people are paying.

• Haha 1

To the OP. You have an insurance company that will insure you for 11k at the age your are. Why are you faffing about trying to save a few bob. Just pay it. N/B the older you get the price will go up. If it's staying the same you have had a result.

Edit I saved 6k by having myself as owner driver only.    

Edited by fredob43
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Perhaps some of us are more careful with our money. 

My 4x4 Vigo auto at 11 years old I insured 1st class for 5000bht at I think 69/70 years old with Roojai.com....

The OP has already said he cant use Roojai. So he's left with the company he has. Most companies will have an age limit before they start to load it. Or like Roojai won't even insure Peeps. That used to be 65 now it seems gone up to 70 years. 

How hard is it to put away 1k a month for insurance. Sorry but if you cant do that you shouldn't have a car.

I paid 17k this year for my insurance but it's a more pricy/newer car. And as I have said I do get a discount for being owner driver only. Do I want to pay that well no, but sometimes one has to pay up regardless.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Can't do, they don't accept drivers over 70. Tried it before.

That's not the case, you should telephone Roojai they have well spoken English Thai people.

Our 3 year old truck is insured 1st class for business inclusive of CTPL with Roojai insurance with a voluntary pay first 10,000 if drivers fault in a accident.

I pay monthly 800 baht for 10 months.

It's insured for any driver over 25 and me down as main driver I'm 73 yr old which are fully aware because they wanted my day of birth, copy of my Thai licence.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, fredob43 said:

The OP has already said he cant use Roojai. So he's left with the company he has. 

Not at all. I can go to AAA brokers and get a quote for multiple different insurance companies, just haven't got around to it yet.

25 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I pay monthly 800 baht for 10 months.

It's insured for any driver over 25 and me down as main driver I'm 73 yr old which are fully aware because they wanted my day of birth, copy of my Thai licence.

Well, that's not much different than I'm paying now. I pay 11000 and you pay nearly 10000.

18 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Not at all. I can go to AAA brokers and get a quote for multiple different insurance companies, just haven't got around to it yet.

Yes you can get different quotes. I always do mine through Toyota so not the cheapest. Just easy for me. They give me several different companies I can use. Just stick with the one I have always had, that's because they use the best repair place where I live. Never a quibble with payment. Or getting things done. Also no loss of No claims bonus.

Had to have the windscreen replaced a couple of year ago. Stone chip and small crack. Into the repair place, showed my license/insurance. they did the rest, sorted and delivered to my door in 2 days. Yes I might have got insurance a bit cheaper but I'll always pay a bit extra for service. I don't do with filling out forms now, I do have a life to live.   

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

10 months is the amount your pay for the year. 

Sorry, how is 10 months equal to 12 months? Do you mean you get 2 months for free? And who pays monthly?

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Sorry, how is 10 months equal to 12 months? Do you mean you get 2 months for free?

The total for 1 year insurance plus the CTPL 8000 baht they offer a 3month payment scheme a 6 months and a 10 month one, to pay over 100months cost about 400 baht which is included. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, transam said:

As usual, you are looking at it from your perspective instead of letting the OP look for answers to his question...????....

No I'm not. I'm looking at it from his perspective. He has had the same insurance for many years, also seems happy with them.

Ok he might be able to save a few pence, but by the time he has messed about changing he might a well stay with the one he knows & happy with. Time is money.

Edited by fredob43
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

The total for 1 year insurance plus the CTPL 8000 baht they offer a 3month payment scheme a 6 months and a 10 month one, to pay over 100months cost about 400 baht which is included. 

Typo should read 10 months not 100.

I don't see what is confusing. 

1 year 1st class ins cost. 

1 year CTPL ins cost. 

An extra charge for taking 10 months to pay for the ins cost.

Total when payment complete 8000 bht. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, transam said:

I was over 70 when I was a named driver....Perhaps the loophole has been closed..

No loop hole and yes I believe you so was I it's just very difficult to ask somebody to lift up a phone, dial it and ask.  ????????

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

Not much point if they specify the named driver can't be over 70. Just interested in what other people are paying.

Not true. Roojai insurance doesn't have a 'named driver'. I got my car insured under my wife's name and anyone can drive it with a valid licence over 25 years old.(can get it down to a lower age for a fee) We already had a claim. I was the driver at the time of the accident (not named) and they paid. No issues. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bigz said:

Not true. Roojai insurance doesn't have a 'named driver'. I got my car insured under my wife's name and anyone can drive it with a valid licence over 25 years old.(can get it down to a lower age for a fee) We already had a claim. I was the driver at the time of the accident (not named) and they paid. No issues. 

But how much are you paying is what I need to know.