Non-profit, shared ownership golf course - how much would you be ready to invest/pay?

tgw

Would you support a non-profit, shared ownership Golf course?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

16 minutes ago, natway09 said:

The other problem if you pay for a membership fee of this magnitude is that you sorta get tied in to one course & I do enjoy playing a round (excuse the pun)

That was always my fear before I joined a club in the UK, you can quite happy play at your home course most of the time and sometimes play away. One of the issues here with the bar golf circuit is constantly playing different courses, handicaps are higher than back on the home course, excluding the handicap cheats

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

IMO hard greens are good greens. They remain true on the putting line, whereas soft greens have a putt wobbling all over the shop.

Then you have never experienced truly hard greens ????

I witnessed the progressive construction of a course about 30 years ago, and they too thought they could neglect making proper greens. Came the summer, any shot played onto the green bounced back into the air about 20 meters high, sometimes more, sometimes perfectly played shots bounced out of bounds, lol.

For the second shots, we were all trying to roll chips onto the green from 160 yards away, hoping for good bounces on the uneven fairways and uneven foregreens, it was absolutely horrible. 555

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Those that have voted 30,000 or 20,000 or 10,000 you can't expect to play unlimited golf, no caddy for that

yes, so far the voters have clearly unrealistic expectations.

50 minutes ago, keithsimmonds said:

Again cant seem to be able to vote...and 25000baht with a membership of at least 400 brings in 10 mill...not enough?

10 million seem very low.

considering a team of 15 gardeners will already cost around 1.800.000 baht, then there is the maintenance, machinery, salaries of a few key people, notably the green keeper (outsourced or not), chemicals, general manager, fuel for the machines... water for the course, if not self-sufficient, water for the clubhouse, electricity... the machinery will need a couple of mechanics, and the clubhouse will need a general purpose electrician/plumber/handiman

add 3 or 4 receptionists, cleaning staff for the clubhouse, accountant, office manager, 2 general purpose office staff  and the obligatory security guards for the gate pickett.  a starter/booking manager, a marshal.

For the moment I don't know how much the real figure is like, but I feel 10 million is way too low.

my hunch is that the club will have to cap the number of active members because of course congestion, especially with a lot of retirees and other high-frequency players who understandably will want to max out their investment. I guess somewhere around 600 will max out capacity.

so maybe something like 30k - 40k annual fee would be workable with 600 members.

Edited by tgw

5 minutes ago, tgw said:

considering a team of 15 gardeners will already cost around 1.800.000 baht, then there is the maintenance, machinery, salaries of a few key people, notably the green keeper (outsourced or not), chemicals, general manager, fuel for the machines... water for the course, if not self-sufficient, water for the clubhouse, electricity...

add 3 or 4 receptionists, cleaning staff for the clubhouse, accountant, office manager, 2 general purpose office staff  and the obligatory security guards for the gate pickett.

For the moment I don't know how much the real figure is like, but I feel 10 million is way too low.

I think 40,000 baht a year minimum, it's unlimited and no additional fees. Currently expats are paying 300,000 baht excluding cart and assuming 3 rounds a week

18 minutes ago, tgw said:

considering a team of 15 gardeners will already cost around 1.800.000 baht, then there is the maintenance, machinery, salaries of a few key people, notably the green keeper (outsourced or not), chemicals, general manager, fuel for the machines... water for the course, if not self-sufficient, water for the clubhouse, electricity... the machinery will need a couple of mechanics, and the clubhouse will need a general purpose electrician/plumber/handiman

add 3 or 4 receptionists, cleaning staff for the clubhouse, accountant, office manager, 2 general purpose office staff  and the obligatory security guards for the gate pickett.  a starter/booking manager, a marshal.

my hunch is that the club will have to cap the number of active members because of course congestion, especially with a lot of retirees and other high-frequency players who understandably will want to max out their investment. I guess somewhere around 600 will max out capacity.

so maybe something like 30k - 40k annual fee would be workable with 600 members.

Despite what people may invest in membership maintenance fee etc and i can hear the Mc Donald's theme loudly in my ears "like getting your moneys worth" do you really think people will play any more than 3 times a week.? I for one wont,and i would expect to pay a token Green Fee of say 150 baht, Caddie if required tip only no fee and cart 250baht(Members Price). You do seem to have most things covered...just no definitive costs ...yet.

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

That was always my fear before I joined a club in the UK, you can quite happy play at your home course most of the time and sometimes play away. One of the issues here with the bar golf circuit is constantly playing different courses, handicaps are higher than back on the home course, excluding the handicap cheats

Yes, and there is also the "club life" which I find seriously lacking here in Thailand, on all levels.

It starts with the lack of club tournaments, but then I also find that most clubhouses here don't offer a great and cozy golf bar to have a pint after the game or a scenic restaurant with elevated terrace with good views on the course. There are a few exceptions of course.

18 minutes ago, keithsimmonds said:

Despite what people may invest in membership maintenance fee etc and i can hear the Mc Donald's theme loudly in my ears "like getting your moneys worth" do you really think people will play any more than 3 times a week.? I for one wont,and i would expect to pay a token Green Fee of say 150 baht, Caddie if required tip only no fee and cart 250baht(Members Price). You do seem to have most things covered...just no definitive costs ...yet.

no, only very few people will play more than 3 times a week, BUT I expect that frequency to be much higher in a club like that compared to other clubs. so congestion will be an issue.

regarding the McDonald's theme, people who currently play only once a week on nicer courses pay a minimum of about 75k a year, of which more than 30k are caddie fees and tips.

the sweet spot will of course be for players who play more than that, I think paying 40k instead of 150k for playing twice a week in average is very nice value.

add to that the convenience of being able to play just 5 or 6 holes in the morning/afternoon/evening when time permits, or after work.

or play 9 holes one day and the other 9 the other day to complete your round.

regarding the tip-only caddie, did you know that the caddies receive payment from the course too? usually it's the caddie fee paid to the course by the player minus 50 or 100 baht.

that's why tip-only caddies won't ever be possible, unless they know beforehand that a 500 baht tip is guaranteed...

about the carts, I think they should be a self-financing operation. they cost investment, maintenance, repair, electricity and replacement. cart usage should be priced accordingly, so as to not cause a loss.

Edited by tgw

18 minutes ago, tgw said:

no, only very few people will play more than 3 times a week, BUT I expect that frequency to be much higher in a club like that compared to other clubs. so congestion will be an issue.

regarding the McDonald's theme, people who currently play only once a week on nicer courses pay a minimum of about 75k a year, of which more than 30k are caddie fees and tips.

the sweet spot will of course be for players who play more than that, I think paying 40k instead of 150k for playing twice a week in average is very nice value.

add to that the convenience of being able to play just 5 or 6 holes in the morning/afternoon/evening when time permits, or after work.

or play 9 holes one day and the other 9 the other day to complete your round.

regarding the tip-only caddie, did you know that the caddies receive payment from the course too? usually it's the caddie fee paid to the course by the player minus 50 or 100 baht.

that's why tip-only caddies won't ever be possible, unless they know beforehand that a 500 baht tip is guaranteed...

about the carts, I think they should be a self-financing operation. they cost investment, maintenance, repair, electricity and replacement. cart usage should be priced accordingly, so as to not cause a loss.

Golfers might start playing more than 3 times a week if they don't have to pay additional fees each time, the clubhouse may become a social hub like it is in the UK. Currently in Thailand golfers seem to escape the golf course ASAP. 

In the UK I'd play 5+ times a week, maybe breakfast there some days, generally have lunch and a drink after and also go there for a quick 9 holes or practice. 

Definitely a gap in the market for that here. 

Also may be worth approaching PSC, IPGC and any other groups they will have huge mailing lists

On 12/4/2020 at 3:11 AM, tgw said:

Many golfers in Thailand face high per-round costs at their usual courses, while courses with flat yearly membership fees and no additional compulsory cost per round are very rare.

Let's put legal aspects aside and think about how many of us would be ready to acquire a membership in such a golf course and for how much.

Project cornerstones:

- conveniently located at a similar distance from the city as other nearest courses (for Pattaya this would mean within the arc between Burapha/Laem Chabang and Cheechan, following route 331 - other locations in Thailand use your imagination)

- minimum 18 holes championship course, not a cheap setup, a good course with good maintenance

- optional carts and optional caddies, no per-round fee for members

- memberships are perpetual, meaning they don't expire. when the membership holder dies, the membership is inherited

- club policies/management priorities/investments set yearly by the member's general assembly

Proposed main fee structure for members (theoretically the course should be able to run on minimal maintenance with these fees):

- initial memberships fee for fund setup

- yearly maintenance fee for members

So the question here is not about project costs or feasibility, the question is about how much would a resident golfer in Thailand be ready to pay for a membership ?

As an additional question, if you have knowledge about golf course economics in Thailand, could you please comment on costs of building an 18-hole course (without cutting corners), land costs and maintenance costs in Thailand ?
Yes, I realize the land cost is very location dependent, but a few ballpark figures would be useful to put things in perspective.

Assume you are a Brit with preconceptions of how a private golf club memberships is applied in UK. This concept will never be  realized in Thailand.

"Membership" in Thailand is a means of obtaining a discounted or free green fee. Nothing more nothing less.

Some facts. You talk about an 18 hole "championship" course. A B grade course in the Eastern seaboard area costs between 35 and 45 million a year to maintain. So with 1000 members you are looking at 40,000 baht a year fees just to maintain the course, ignoring purchase costs.

Costs could be reduced if 16 people working in the restaurant and 4 people in the locker room were let go. Just imagine if a "member" had to wait 15 seconds to be served a beer or they had to bring their own towel. Standards would drop as cost complaints increased.

There was a golf course available in the Pattaya area for 780 million baht. How would you propose to fund the initial purchase price for members?

Would I pay 10,000 baht a year for a Navy Fleet type course. Probably not.

Would I pay 100,000 baht a year for a Laem Chabang type course. Probably not.

To the poster who thinks you could build a golf course in Thailand for 50 million baht. The grass seed bill for a well known course was 3 .9 million baht.

On 12/4/2020 at 10:19 AM, scubascuba3 said:

No idea about costs of building a course, better to buy one that's struggling. Crystal Bay and Mountain Shadow was taken over by the banks a few years back, so timing is important. Pattaya Country Club, isn't great, probably struggling but close to Pattaya but with a membership could be popular. 

Optional caddies and cart is essential plus annual membership cost otherwise the whole purpose is dead in the water

the Pattaya Country Club is owned by a very rich developer.

1 hour ago, Big Joke said:

Assume you are a Brit with preconceptions of how a private golf club memberships is applied in UK. This concept will never be  realized in Thailand.

"Membership" in Thailand is a means of obtaining a discounted or free green fee. Nothing more nothing less.

Some facts. You talk about an 18 hole "championship" course. A B grade course in the Eastern seaboard area costs between 35 and 45 million a year to maintain. So with 1000 members you are looking at 40,000 baht a year fees just to maintain the course, ignoring purchase costs.

Costs could be reduced if 16 people working in the restaurant and 4 people in the locker room were let go. Just imagine if a "member" had to wait 15 seconds to be served a beer or they had to bring their own towel. Standards would drop as cost complaints increased.

There was a golf course available in the Pattaya area for 780 million baht. How would you propose to fund the initial purchase price for members?

To the poster who thinks you could build a golf course in Thailand for 50 million baht. The grass seed bill for a well known course was 3 .9 million baht.

I find it hard to believe a Crystal Bay, Mountain Shadow type course costs 40,000,000 baht a year to run. Rarely do you see green staff on any course, often the caddies get roped into weeding. Most courses bar a few aren't maintained well, I.e not weeded properly, bunkers not raked, grass not cut properly, no way 40m baht. No point comparing costs of Siam Country Club etc

2 hours ago, Big Joke said:

you assume wrong, I'm not a Brit! but thanks for indirectly complimenting my third language ????

thanks for the info about costs - where do these come from?

can you give some examples of B grade courses ?

a golf course available for 780 million doesn't make it worth 780 million. if you check the poll, you see there is a question about the membership buy-in cost which would be meant to cover initial costs.

1000 x 500.000 = 500 millions

600 x 1.000.000 = 600 millions

Plutaluang is a very playable course, even given its many imperfections - 10.000 baht a year for unlimited play is a ridiculously low price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tgw said:

Plutaluang is a very playable course, even given its many imperfections - 10.000 baht a year for unlimited play is a ridiculously low price.

I think he may have been referring to the 9 hole course at Sattahip, but agree 10,000 baht for Plutaluang is low

On 12/5/2020 at 5:34 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Golfers might start playing more than 3 times a week if they don't have to pay additional fees each time, the clubhouse may become a social hub like it is in the UK. Currently in Thailand golfers seem to escape the golf course ASAP. 

Many of the golfers here would, I respectfully suggest, struggle to play more than 3 times a week unless carting - heat/humidity etc. 

One reason some escape quickly is if they are on a shared minibus rather than having their own transport. 

This also raises the other issue of how close to Pattaya the course would need to be for people to actually consider using it as a "social hub" or for casual play. How many actually make the effort currently to use the practice facilities at Waterside or possibly Phoenix?

On 12/5/2020 at 5:11 PM, tgw said:

Which is why I I don't see this happening unless the course is very local. 

The following is a condensed history of the last time, to my knowledge, that an attempt was made to establish a golf club owned by the members, ran by the members, for the members, in Thailand. These are not my recollections but my mother's and father's who were involved from the beginning. A little background.

There were already “members” where, for an annual fee, no green fee payment was required. Not content with this one concession, some members were able to form a member's committee working within the club. The most important item was that they were able to meet with the manager once a month to discuss members interests, also they were able to secure a F&B discount.

Due to the hoards of visitors playing to the detriment of members, a committee decision was made to pursue the take over of the club. They were lucky in that the driving force behind the idea was an influential westerner who had the ears of the rich and powerful in Thailand. This item was critical, as without it, they were doomed to fail.

The purchase price discussed was in the region of 1 billion baht. Obviously this was a no starter, but as the club had never turned a profit they were willing to lease for 1 million baht a month, but of course only a 30 year lease would be available. (this is the year 2000 ) The committee thought they could get the running costs down to around10 million a year, so an annual expenditure of 22 million Baht. If a 1000 people joined the annual fee would be 22,000 baht. After a marketing survey, it was discovered that if they could get 250 members they would be lucky. So now an annual fee of 100,000 baht. Biggest reason given for not interested in joining. “Don't want to be tied to playing one course”. Remember this is the days of the 200 baht caddie fee and 400 baht green fee.

It was never made known publicly how the club would function legally although a lease agreement would perhaps smooth this over

My reason for posting is just to set the record that an attempt was made to establish a private club, even though it was 20 years ago, not a discussion.

PS

As everyone knows private clubs end up with a couple of people doing all the work. This committee was no different, as within a year the members attending the meetings with the manager went from 12 to 2. But they still bitched and moan about the way the club treated them. Even to this day.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Big Joke said:

The following is a condensed history of the last time, to my knowledge, that an attempt was made to establish a golf club owned by the members, ran by the members, for the members, in Thailand. These are not my recollections but my mother's and father's who were involved from the beginning. A little background.

There were already “members” where, for an annual fee, no green fee payment was required. Not content with this one concession, some members were able to form a member's committee working within the club. The most important item was that they were able to meet with the manager once a month to discuss members interests, also they were able to secure a F&B discount.

Due to the hoards of visitors playing to the detriment of members, a committee decision was made to pursue the take over of the club. They were lucky in that the driving force behind the idea was an influential westerner who had the ears of the rich and powerful in Thailand. This item was critical, as without it, they were doomed to fail.

The purchase price discussed was in the region of 1 billion baht. Obviously this was a no starter, but as the club had never turned a profit they were willing to lease for 1 million baht a month, but of course only a 30 year lease would be available. (this is the year 2000 ) The committee thought they could get the running costs down to around10 million a year, so an annual expenditure of 22 million Baht. If a 1000 people joined the annual fee would be 22,000 baht. After a marketing survey, it was discovered that if they could get 250 members they would be lucky. So now an annual fee of 100,000 baht. Biggest reason given for not interested in joining. “Don't want to be tied to playing one course”. Remember this is the days of the 200 baht caddie fee and 400 baht green fee.

It was never made known publicly how the club would function legally although a lease agreement would perhaps smooth this over

My reason for posting is just to set the record that an attempt was made to establish a private club, even though it was 20 years ago, not a discussion.

PS

As everyone knows private clubs end up with a couple of people doing all the work. This committee was no different, as within a year the members attending the meetings with the manager went from 12 to 2. But they still bitched and moan about the way the club treated them. Even to this day.

A club close to my UK golf club was getting slowly strangled to death by leasing the land from the owner, so that's a non starter if anyone was considering buying a golf club here, plus it would need to be on it's knees before it's worth even considering buying. From what I hear most make a loss, just a liability for the owners

7 hours ago, Big Joke said:

PS

thanks, interesting story - the days of 200 baht caddie fee and 400 baht GF are gone, so a fee of 50k a year would be much more attractive today. 

also, I personally witnessed a member committee fighting against a commercial management by the owners of a course, and naturally the course was totally alienated by the commercial interests, such as being overrun on weekends and holidays. a member committee and a commercial venture on the same course is a non-starter.

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A club close to my UK golf club was getting slowly strangled to death by leasing the land from the owner, so that's a non starter if anyone was considering buying a golf club here, plus it would need to be on it's knees before it's worth even considering buying. From what I hear most make a loss, just a liability for the owners

yes - although, in Thailand nowadays, one has to factor in the tax on undeveloped land. so, if a landlord was to be found who just wants to avoid the tax, this could open the door to some possibilities.

Here we are speculating on TV if a private club would work in Thailand. As my father has just told me why not check out Navatanee as that is a privately ran club. It is even quoted on the SET so full financials are disclosed.

CITY SPORTS AND RECREATION PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED

59 minutes ago, Big Joke said:

Here we are speculating on TV if a private club would work in Thailand. As my father has just told me why not check out Navatanee as that is a privately ran club. It is even quoted on the SET so full financials are disclosed.

CITY SPORTS AND RECREATION PUBLIC COMPANY LIMITED

great, they even got their financial annual reports online.

http://www.navatanee.com/news/agm/2555/annual_report_50_eng.pdf

but this is a private commercial club.

5. Shareholding and management structure

Mr. Sukum Navapan and related persons 15,344,865 (74.85%)

Edited by tgw

On 12/8/2020 at 10:11 AM, Big Joke said:

PS

Interesting read, thanks.

The reason you mentioned may even be more valid these days in the Pattaya region. We got around 25 courses within 1 hour drive, and I enjoy playing different courses. It never gets boring. So why should I stick with one single course, play there once a week, until I know every bush and every springler by heart? Not a good choice.

50 minutes ago, henry2109 said:

Interesting read, thanks.

The reason you mentioned may even be more valid these days in the Pattaya region. We got around 25 courses within 1 hour drive, and I enjoy playing different courses. It never gets boring. So why should I stick with one single course, play there once a week, until I know every bush and every springler by heart? Not a good choice.

That's the fear of people who haven't been members of a club, if you are a member of a good course it never gets boring as it's so difficult to beat. I'd prefer playing 1 course most times than constantly changing. The Green Valley guys seem to enjoy playing there several times a week plus nothing stopping you playing away sometimes

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

That's the fear of people who haven't been members of a club, if you are a member of a good course it never gets boring as it's so difficult to beat. I'd prefer playing 1 course most times than constantly changing. The Green Valley guys seem to enjoy playing there several times a week plus nothing stopping you playing away sometimes

yes, correct.

I have played for years on the same home course, it never gets boring because I play to get the best possible result and also once a week for winning the weekly tournament, not for sightseeing.

Of course I enjoy playing on different courses too, but the cost is something I have to factor in.

On 12/9/2020 at 2:57 AM, tgw said:

great, they even got their financial annual reports online.

http://www.navatanee.com/news/agm/2555/annual_report_50_eng.pdf

but this is a private commercial club.

5. Shareholding and management structure

Mr. Sukum Navapan and related persons 15,344,865 (74.85%)

The highlights for me from the 2019 AGM and F/R are

Question from the floor. Why does Navatanee only permit 30,000 visitor rounds per year?

Answer from MD. Navatanee is primarily a members club. Any more visitors would affect the members enjoyment of playing.

Policy statement. Maximum 4 balls on weekdays and weekends. Maximum time permitted for a 4 ball is 4 hours.

Interesting to note that they have almost the same number of members (1093) as the club I am a member at. Their members revenue for 2019 was 38 million baht, ours was 3 million.

3 hours ago, Big Joke said:

The highlights for me from the 2019 AGM and F/R are

Question from the floor. Why does Navatanee only permit 30,000 visitor rounds per year?

Answer from MD. Navatanee is primarily a members club. Any more visitors would affect the members enjoyment of playing.

Policy statement. Maximum 4 balls on weekdays and weekends. Maximum time permitted for a 4 ball is 4 hours.

Interesting to note that they have almost the same number of members (1093) as the club I am a member at. Their members revenue for 2019 was 38 million baht, ours was 3 million.

3 million from 1000 members?

3000 per member per year?

This can't be true? Your members must have paid per round fees + caddies

• Like 1