Chiang Dao....Suggestions?

Trujillo

On 12/10/2020 at 11:52 PM, Trujillo said:

Finally, stopped at the "Tuesday Morning Market," which was told to me as, "A market where hilltribe people come to sell things." This is actually not what it sounds like. The goods for sale are all cheap items from Vietnam or China -- rubber shoes, knock-off shirts and various hardware supplies, etc. There isn't anything there you would be interested in, and nothing you can't find in Chiang Mai markets and stalls.

It was not a bad little overnight trip (although I detest the main road getting there. I did try going up the MaeJo Road on the way there and cutting over on the 1414 but many slow vehicles mixed in with others hell-bent on passing, come what may, made it a bit frustrating -- stuck behind someone going 45kph with no chance to pass (although that didn't stop some Thais who muscled their way in, highlighting a cause of the rather large number of accidents in the country, I imagine).

I'd go again if I had more time to explore farther afield next time. 

Hello,

Thanks for leaving your feedback.

For the market, unfortunately you didn't have the company of someone from CD. The hill tribe people sell their stuff opposite the "new" 7/11 in a small plazza kind of. Nowadays less grannies in traditional clothes but still some. Ok it's not super impressive but has it's charm. They sometimes have very weird food for sale. 

Next time, take a drink and sit on your motorbike that you previously parked at the "entrance" of the new market (the 2 rows of town houses) and just look what's going on, the different type of people, what they buy... It's what I like to do now and then.

Good point to be willing to come back... And next time maybe try to go outside "soi farang" (the cave road). Cheers !

I'm sorry to hear that your adventure in CD was not all that you could have wished for.  I live in chaing mai city, but go to chiang dao every few weeks with my gf because her family home is there near the cave.  Usually i go cycling in the morning to get off the main roads and i love that.  I ate at Jin's once and I remember it was quite good. Villa De View, i could do without.  I prefer Chai Cafe purely for the delicious coffee even though they don't have a view.  About the packs of dogs.  looks like they have doubled since last year especially near the  cave temple.  total nuisance in my opinion.  makes walking at night unpleasant when you have to navigate their territoririal drama.  I still like the public swimming area in the small river that flows out from the cave.  about 1km down by the bridge.  cold clean water and catfish. I went to Cave Bar last weekend and it was super busy amd fun.  not sure exactly which day you went. 

Edited by captainjackS
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1