Thieving.

Luckydog

When I first came to Pattaya I thought the Thais must love Dogs as they almost all seemed to have one snarling through the Railings of their house.

But, of course, the reason for the Dogs is that Stealing is indemic.

If their was a 'Stealing Olympics' this Country would get a lot of Gold Medals. That's for sure.

What, if anything, have you had nicked ?

And if the answer is "Nothing" don't be complacent. It could happen anytime.

So beware my friends........

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe Pattaya is not like the rest of Thailand. However, in one location I was continually being robbed blind. It could very well have been a farang that was stealing from me, so I suggest you avoid all farang in Pattaya. :o

Thailand comes in a very distant contender compared to countless countries, especially Central America. Don't let bitter experiences in Pattaya (or any one location in Thailand) make you think it's typical of Thailand.

...so I suggest you avoid all farang in Pattaya

I agree that the majority of farangs living in Pattaya is pretty bad, but on the other hand, all the scum from the provinces are gathered there. Worst thais I've ever meet are all there in Pattaya.

Regarding thieving, there are more countries with bigger problems, including western countries. For example, I've never been robbed back home in Romania, neither did my folks in a lifetime of living there, maybe we all got lucky. But it looks like my luck continues in Thailand too :o

Edited by alexth

I kept running out of gas fairly quickly and couldn't understand why. I took the car into the shop and the mechanic pointed out that someone had drilled a hole into my tank and stopped it with a little rubber plug. Apparently, late at night, one of my neighbors was coming over and stealing my gas. I wanted to wait up for him/her but I just had the hole fixed and got a dog instead.

There is a segment of the farang population in Thailand that has made a career out of being drunken, careless, irresponsible gullible fools and easy targets for "thieves". I suspect there is nothing inately "Thai" that would take advantage of this; happens all over the world.

I find the general Thai population (outside of some bgs and tourist vultures) extremely honest in terms of not committing property theft. My home was only robbed twice in Thailand, and both times it was farang; one was an unemployed "tattoo artist" with several-years overstay who shifted villages on Samui to hit on new tourists and get away from the locals every few months; the other, some party bandits who broke into my bungalow and stole my Christmas wine.

The Thai thieves usually seem to be part of gangs.

.....Don't let bitter experiences in Pattaya (or any one location in Thailand) make you think it's typical of Thailand.

But it is.

Surely your rose-colored glasses are not so dark that you cannot see you are living in the kind of place where bodies are routinely looted after automobile accidents and plane crashes, and as for other indicators of the state of public morality...well, I assume I don't have to start quoting the daily dispatches about new and ever more inventive forms of corruption by government officials (and those wouold be just the few examples we actually know about and the Englissh-language press has the nuts to print).

The only definition of 'right' that most Thais apply in their daily life is what they can get away with. Don't try to tell me that more developed countries operate the same way. They don't. The difference is this: in the west, corrupt behavior almost always has consequences. In Thailand, it almost never does.

So keep stealing whatever you can, lovely smiling people. Find a few more bodies to loot. Nobody here really gives a hoot.

The only definition of 'right' that most Thais apply in their daily life is what they can get away with

in many , but not all cases i find that to be true.

Many cases true, but many cases not true.

It ain't a black or white world. :o

12 years in Thailand (Pattaya) and I was burgled once and we lost very little as we arrived home and distrubed them. Maybe I was just lucky.

I was dipped (pickpocketted) once but as I was on the way home late night only lost a couple of hundred Baht.

A colleague has just learnt that some "kids" broke into his garage in rural Cheshire (UK), pushed his wife's gar out and set fire to it. Broke into the house which set off the burglar alarms so they ripped the control box off the wall. When that didn't stop the alarm they just did as much damage as they could and scarpered.

Theiving is endemic just about worldwide, I don't think Thailand overall is any worse than any other developing country. Pattaya appears worse than other locations because of a higher proportion of farangs (farangs = money and valuables) attracting the criminal element.

I can understand, in a way, theft but just cannot figure out mindless vandalism.

The only definition of 'right' that most Thais apply in their daily life is what they can get away with. Don't try to tell me that more developed countries operate the same way. They don't. The difference is this: in the west, corrupt behavior almost always has consequences. In Thailand, it almost never does.

As others have said, theiving is pretty mild in Thailand as compared to many other countries. I've never had anything stolen in nearly 3 years in Thailand, but I was robbed a few times after only 6 months in India. I even had my underwear and socks stolen in India when they were out on the line to dry.

Also, I'd say crime in general is much worse in the US (my home) than in Thailand. The only difference is that generally in Thailand the criminals will try to steal without any confrontation. Whereas in the US, they'll point a gun in your face and ask for your wallet. Where would you prefer to be?

And as for corruption having consequences in the west... Just look at the current administration running the show in the states and tell me what consequences they've had to face after 6+ years of perpetual scandal.

The only definition of 'right' that most Thais apply in their daily life is what they can get away with

:o

Very good!

But is the mentality really so much different in farangland? Or rather, that you can not expect to get away with the same things there?

Many cases true, but many cases not true.

It ain't a black or white world.

people WILL try it on here , try and take advantage , try and get away with something , because there is a culture of lack of responsibility , coupled with a natural talent for coming up with amazing excuses to explain how it happened. some would call it lying , some would call it face saving.

as with the story about the missing 500,000b ring at the airport , they do it because they know they can get away with it and it will rarely be fully investigated.

there is certainly more street crime and burglary back home in the uk , but you dont need to worry too much about bill padding , overcharging , cheap scamming and misrepresentation.

here , you need to be very watchful of such things.

As others have said, theiving is pretty mild in Thailand as compared to many other countries. I've never had anything stolen in nearly 3 years in Thailand, but I was robbed a few times after only 6 months in India. I even had my underwear and socks stolen in India when they were out on the line to dry.

Also, I'd say crime in general is much worse in the US (my home) than in Thailand. The only difference is that generally in Thailand the criminals will try to steal without any confrontation. Whereas in the US, they'll point a gun in your face and ask for your wallet. Where would you prefer to be?

And as for corruption having consequences in the west... Just look at the current administration running the show in the states and tell me what consequences they've had to face after 6+ years of perpetual scandal.

A few years back when I was still living in Las Vegas a guy rings the doorbell at a home in an average Las Vegas neighborhood. It's about 5:30 pm and the husband and wife are in the kitchen talking about whatever. The husband goes to the door and opens it (foolish) and the wife hears a man's voice say, "Give me your wallet". Then a few seconds later she hears a shot. The husband had given up his wallet but the guy shot him between the eyes anyway; the husband was dead before he hit the ground. This happened about 1 mile from my home; the bad guy was never caught.

I don't think incidents like this happen very often in Thailand. Even the 2 Russian ladies murdered on the beach probably resisted in some way.

As far as home robbery most Thai in these small villages know EVERYONE and watch out for each other.

Personally, I feel safe here because (1) I don't live in a tourist area (2) I don't flash gold or cash. I keep a low profile and enjoy myself and the family and friends I have made since coming here.

In Pattaya there are a lot of houses broken into, I know that after living there for many years. I know many Farangs that will not rent or buy a house in Pattaya for that very reason and will only consider condos, even before the company ownership crackdown came into being.

I for one would never have a house in Pattaya as I work offshore and there is a great chance that when I returned home, my house would have been burgled, it's happened to many that I know.

I'm not saying it's only Thai's that do it, it could equally be some of the many Farangs that live on the bones of their azz in Pattaya, Farangs that will do anything to avoid going back to face whatever it is they are facing in their own countries.

In other areas of Thailand, I do not have enough experience of living in those areas to comment, though I doubt very much it is anything like Pattaya.

Edited by Maigo6

I've got to thoroughly disagree with most of those who are saying thievery is rampant in Thailand. Except for the series of incidents where I was being burgled (possibly by a farang), in four years here nothing has been stolen. Generally, the Thais I've met (including 9000 students and teachers at schools) are the least thieving people I've ever known. Where else can you leave expensive helmets on the bike and just walk away? Where else can you forget to take your keys out of the bike and come back to find the bike? In Nicaragua, you literally did not allow anybody in your house unless you trusted them completely, because they'd lift anything that would fit into their pockets.

Is there some Buddhist belief here, that thieves will spend their next life as a cockroach?

I'm far less worried about theft in Thailand than I am at home. Much less in the way of junkies and other miscellaneous street waste wandering about in Thailand.
...so I suggest you avoid all farang in Pattaya

I agree that the majority of farangs living in Pattaya is pretty bad, but on the other hand, all the scum from the provinces are gathered there. Worst thais I've ever meet are all there in Pattaya.

Regarding thieving, there are more countries with bigger problems, including western countries. For example, I've never been robbed back home in Romania, neither did my folks in a lifetime of living there, maybe we all got lucky. But it looks like my luck continues in Thailand too :o

Oh goodie - a Pattaya Bashing thread. I have two dogs, one a very nice wolf-like hound and a soi dog that would tear your balls from your body and eat them in front of you.

We don't have much robbery going on where I live.

I find the general Thai population (outside of some bgs and tourist vultures) extremely honest in terms of not committing property theft. My home was only robbed twice in Thailand, and both times it was farang; one was an unemployed "tattoo artist" with several-years overstay who shifted villages on Samui to hit on new tourists and get away from the locals every few months; the other, some party bandits who broke into my bungalow and stole my Christmas wine.

The Thai thieves usually seem to be part of gangs.

I am not going to knock Pattaya but yesy this is a place for convenience for gangs of Criminals and not just Thai ones.

Pattaya is not the cultural Thailand, I lived in Patts for a year while the house was built, in that time wife lost gold my firends wife lost gold and money.

I am safer in my village than I was In patts and in the UK

A few weeks ago I took an overnight bus from Bangkok to Ranong. While I was sleeping, my wallet fell out of my pocket and into the aisle of the bus.

When we arrived in Ranong and people were getting off the bus, I was very surprised to be tapped on the shoulder. A youngish Thai man pointed to the floor, where my wallet was sitting.

In any other country, I would have been screwed. Or maybe I was just incredibly lucky.

Edited by jeebusjones

coupled with a natural talent for coming up with amazing excuses to explain how it happened.

Spot on, Some of the excuses I have heard have either left me with my jaw touching the ground, or laughing out loudly.

MM

i've been robbed here in the land of smiles 3 times never caught the thief 'the 3rd time i must have come home when they were still there human s-it on the floor .only want money left some valuble things game boy walkman etc tok less than 7000b combined in all 3 cases ,not a nice feeling still sometimes paranoid when come home late sometimes .if its low season it happens often high season very rare .my house now is gaurded and alarmed ,and my wife has a gun with all the papers so bring it on

still sometimes paranoid when come home late sometimes .if its low season it happens often high season very rare .my house now is gaurded and alarmed ,and my wife has a gun with all the papers so bring it on

To have a wife with a gun, alarms and guards makes me happy that I do not live where you do. Your wife also has to shoot to kill for the gun to have any effect, and be a faster draw than the theives who also may be armed and would shoot her.

I'd have moved long ago.

I've had random disappearances of money here, due to domestic help or workers in the dog center & previous "dog center workers" have thought it a perk to steal the bags of dry dog food (for resale?), but I've had far more stolen elsewhere. When I lived in HK, pickpocketing was a fairly normal occurrence; so much so that even now I never carry ATM/credit cards in the same wallet as cash. In UK, I once had an entire set of bedding stolen from my washing line in an enclosed garden. The worst thing was, as they had taken it all, it took me two days to remember that I had put it out & figure out it had been stolen. :o Another time they stole every pair of jeans on the line, but left the rest of the clothes.

Three years with a house here, never lost a cracker. Probably another three before that staying in hotels, leaving money and valuables lying around in front of hotel staff and "guests", never lost a cracker. Only problem was when a taxi driver never wanted to give me change at the airport so I grabbed the 1000B back and stared him down.

Oh, one thing though..... wife's brothers drink all my beer while I'm away. :o

If your going to live in places like Pattaya and around Sukhemvit Road you're going to get the same problems you get in Kings Cross, Soho, Angeles City or any other international sleaze centre.

I got broken into four times in twenty years living in Adelaide, the "City of Churches".

I can't understand why so many contributors feel thieving is rampant. I've lived here for many years and never been robbed. I've forgotten my keys in my motorbike many times and my keys in the door almost as often. On one occasion a man came to my door having found my wallet in the street.

Ah, I've just remembered. Somebody robbed my motorcycle helmet from the Central Chit Lom car park - value 900฿

I can only assume Pattaya and Samui have become magnets for undesirable types.

Left my phone in a coffee shop yesterday and was tracked down by a friendly farang who gave it back. Not all farang in Thailand are scum. In 9 years here, not much problem with "thieving". I used to live in a ghetto in Los Angeles and acquired a lot of street smarts that tends to alleviate having a target on my forehead for people looking for an easy kill. There's plenty of drunk bozos around if punks want to pilfer a bit.

In Mexico, almost everywhere in that huge country, you simply do not leave a motorbike parked outside at night. It will not be there in the morning. The hotels have forced me to park the bike in the lobby, or in my room! In Managua, the capital of Nicaragua, everybody wore their backpacks as frontpacks, because if you put it on your back, they'd cut it open while you stood on the bus! Travelling through El Salvador or Guatemala, by first class bus, the nice passengers advised me to not go into the capital city; better to wait on the side of the road for a passing bus.

When I got $1,600 cash at Western Union in Managua, I stuffed my boots, socks, pockets, etc., with $100 bills, and bought a motorcycle for cash within the hour, rather than taking chances on losing the money. The bike was a disaster, too.

Thailand is head and shoulders above any country I've lived in, for its honest citizens.

Oh, except for grand larceny through embezzlement of public funds; then Thailand is a different story.