Thieving.

Luckydog

I can't understand why so many contributors feel thieving is rampant. I've lived here for many years and never been robbed.

I think there is a lack of perspective here. Other countries (including the UK) have always been way up my list of robberies and petty thieving. Mainly because the penalties are too light. I have worked around the globe a bit, and thieving here is nothing compared to most other countries, imo. Maybe I've been lucky due to cautiousness? As someone says above, the incidense of bill-padding and rip-offs are common here, but outright thievery? ... Nope....

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've left three cell phones in taxis in Thailand, and never got them back. They always turned them off quick, realizing what they had.

Are you saying that you being careless by leaving your mobile in a taxi means a Thai person has thieved it ? :D

Totster :o

QUOTE(Jimjim @ 2007-05-07 11:33:22)

I've left three cell phones in taxis in Thailand, and never got them back. They always turned them off quick, realizing what they had.

Are you saying that you being careless by leaving your mobile in a taxi means a Thai person has thieved it ?

If they don't ansewr it and sell it, emmm yes.

If I carelessly forget to lock my door and someone comes in in the middle of the night and robs me, is this theft?

Lost mine once in Pattaya, I was on a motorcycle and it wasn't in my pocket when I got home, I must have lost it an hour or 2 before I discovered it wasn't in the jacket pocket, I eventually called the number and a Thai guy answered it, he had seen it in the road in Pattaya Klang when he was on his motorcycle.

He was a Policeman... :o

I went down to the market in Pattaya Tai where he was on duty in a goldshop and got my phone back, I offered him 500 Baht and he refused, I insisted and he eventually succumbed to my reward offer.

This was years ago when Mobile phones were not so common and cheap to buy and built like bricks.

i dont feel that petty theiving is that common here,(though possibly is in the tourist areas)compared to say london.

ive seen a few locals give beatings to people who help themselves.i remember this fruit stall holder in chiang mai,a big fat lady as broad as a barn door,& as i was looking at the fruit,a man was lurking behind me who was obviously up to no good & the woman new him well.i didnt understand what she said to this man,but the gesturing with the big wooden stick she held & waved at him said it all.she was fantastic.

the only thing ive really lost in my time in se asia was a skanky pair of hole ridden shorts in a guest house store room in vietnam.bet it was a farang.

There is a segment of the farang population in Thailand that has made a career out of being drunken, careless, irresponsible gullible fools and easy targets for "thieves". I suspect there is nothing inately "Thai" that would take advantage of this; happens all over the world
Well said that man!
I agree that the majority of farangs living in Pattaya is pretty bad, but on the other hand, all the scum from the provinces are gathered there. Worst thais I've ever meet are all there in Pattaya.

It hardly surprising that all the provincial scum end up there, with all the gullible fools who are easy targets.

In Khon Kaen there is a lot of thieving of houses.

In Khon Kaen there are a lot of acts of honesty.

In Isarn there are may poor people. Overall, they are very content with what they have and very very honest. There are a few bad apples, who are driven to prostitution, crime, and marrying 'farang':-)

Many farang, who live in 'prostitution towns' hence get the wrong idea about Thai people.

Lost mine once in Pattaya, I was on a motorcycle and it wasn't in my pocket when I got home, I must have lost it an hour or 2 before I discovered it wasn't in the jacket pocket, I eventually called the number and a Thai guy answered it, he had seen it in the road in Pattaya Klang when he was on his motorcycle.

He was a Policeman... :o

I went down to the market in Pattaya Tai where he was on duty in a goldshop and got my phone back, I offered him 500 Baht and he refused, I insisted and he eventually succumbed to my reward offer.

This was years ago when Mobile phones were not so common and cheap to buy and built like bricks.

Nice story Maigo6, no doubt you'll have a few people frothing at the mouth and posting "all the boys in brown are corrupt, thieving scumbags" now.

Actually Jimjim there is a current thread, which I'm too lazy to look for now, on "what's the best thing you ever found" and you would be amazed what some of our members have found and not made any effort to return to the rightful owner.

Last month, I dropped my wallet when getting into my car on a busy road. Later that day, I got a call from a university student who had seen my business card inside. He arranged to leave it with someone that we both coincidenally knew. There was 6,000 baht in it, a lot for this student(and me). He really didn't want a reward, but eventually took 300 baht.

My house in soi Khao Noi was like a fortress with grilles over the windows and a cage over the back yard, all the missus's work.

Same in the Philippines except the tea leaves smashed a hole through a window between the bars and fired a CS grenade into the house of a colleague. When he and his wife staggered out the front door the assembled crims entered, wearing gas masks, and ransacked the place. Even if the couple recovered from the effects of the gas they weren't about to do much, staring down the barrel of a gun. And this in an estate with security. :D

Security? Don't make me :o .

Thailand, even Pattaya, is nowhere near that bad and nowhere near as bad as some people try and make out.

I can't count the number of times Thais have pointed out to me that some Baht bills/notes look like they are going to fall out of my pocket, or that I have actually dropped some on the payment. Happened most recently two days ago. Yes, I should carry a wallet but never have. I have also lost and retrieved more than a few items. I did have an old computer stolen from an out building once, but then again I was burgled twice in the US, so nothing exceptional about that.

I think the impression you get of Thailand and Thais is in large part shaped by where you live. If you live in a farang ghetto portion of Bangkok or Pattaya, those areas attract the worst of both farang and Thai society.

When I think of the vast disparity in incomes between the average Thai and the average farang what amazes me is that there isn't more crime.

Edited by qualtrough

We must keep in mind that foreigners only hear/read/see a very minute fraction of crime that goes on in Thailand. To compare this with the whole spectrum of crime which might be reported by foreigners who have in the past lived around the globe is meaningless.

If you want to know about crime in Thailand, ask a Thai.

If you don't know any Thais, walk around your neighbourhood in Thailand and take a look at the bars on all the windows.

Whatever the house breaking rates in Thailand actually are, they are a fraction of what they would be without extreme vigilance on the part of ordinary Thais. Most the Thais I know will not leave their houses un attended, if there is noone to stay home and watch the house, they don't go out.

I compare this with my mother in the UK, who doesn't even have keys for her house, and my sister in up state New York who, like her neighbours, leaves her car keys in her car. Crime in the UK/US is extremely geographical, a matter of a couple of miles can deliniate high crime and no crime areas. That is not so in Thailand and particularly not so for foreigners.

The idea that crime follows the large numbers of foreigners in Pattaya is also missleading. There need not be large numbers of foreigners to attact theives that target foreigners.

If a foreinger moves to any part of Thailand, news if his/her arrival in the area will be known before they have even unpacked their suitcases. Within a matter of days every theif in the area will be considering the easy and rich pickings to be had.

Like others have said, not all the theives are Thai, and I treat all foreigners in Thailand with extreme suspicion until they prove themselves trustworthy.

Thailand and yes, in particular Pattaya, attracts some of the worst dregs of the west, many by nature or out of desperation do turn to ripping off, or robbing their fellow countrymen.

The things that Thais have helped me NOT lose have far outweighed the things that have been taken from me by Thais- in balance, I think I come out ahead. I lost a wallet once on a river taxi, but it was recovered later- minus 1000B- in a phone booth. The ID and other items in the wallet were worth far more than 1000B of trouble to me. I am constantly being told by Thais if I am dropping things or if my bag is open, and I try to return the favour whenever I can.

I think someone took a fashion magazine from me once or twice, and one friend took a small photo binder of pictures of me, him, and some other friends without asking.

However, I am rather vigilant myself and I don't keep valuables in my cardboard box- at least not valuables as most Thais would consider them.

actually , its burglarizing !

No it's not!

'burglarize' is some American made-up word.

British English - burgling

British law - if the offence is committed in daylight hours then it is housebreaking, in the hours of darkness - burgling

We must keep in mind that foreigners only hear/read/see a very minute fraction of crime that goes on in Thailand.

Speak for yourself. Do you mean tourists?

Maybe he means the Farangs that live in Italy.

My friend lost his wallet on Saturday night whilst out at a restuarant/bars etc in Bangkok. We thought the worst, and cancelled all bank cards asap. On Sunday we had a call from the restaurant, to say the cleaner had found the wallet and we should come and pick it up. He did so, and everything was intact, including the cash etc. The cleaner has been given a tip - THB200. But it is a nice story to illustrate that any generalisation on this subject is just that. It did help that we frequent the restaurant and tip well, but the cleaner, who is unknown to us, and we to her, could just as easily have taken the cash etc.

Edited by samtam

We must keep in mind that foreigners only hear/read/see a very minute fraction of crime that goes on in Thailand.

Speak for yourself. Do you mean tourists?

Maybe he means the Farangs that live in Italy.

No, I mean Farangs living in Thailand who for the most part do not speak or read Thai (beyond a rudimentary level) do not hear or read about nor see the majority of crime that goes in Thailand.

When working with Thais in Thailand I often overheard conversations on various issues, including crime, that expats sitting in the same office space where oblivious too.

Conversely, as is reported frequently here on TV, Thais will share information and gossip, the smallest incident of Crime in a Thai community is known about and talked about.

i wonder whether thailand has a version of the uk gypsy camp :o .im not talking the exotic fortune telling,horse drawn cart type,but rather the car stealing,breaking & entering version.alot of these places seem to even be no go areas for the police,& standing up to them could possibly lead to an iron bar over the head whilst walking home from the pub.

i still think petty theft in thailand is rare against farang.scamming,yes.

i dont feel iron bars on windows is an out & out indication of crime.some house like to leave the shutters open all day.

I've lived here in the North East for coming on eight years. My house has not been burgled and neither has my truck. I have no knowledge of other farangs in the area suffering such a fate either.

My truck is left unattended for days sometimes (admittedly with a steering lock) without anything being removed.

Leave a truck in the centre of Liverpool for more than an hour and you'd be walking home.

We must keep in mind that foreigners only hear/read/see a very minute fraction of crime that goes on in Thailand. To compare this with the whole spectrum of crime which might be reported by foreigners who have in the past lived around the globe is meaningless.

You are not the only foreigner who can read and speak Thai and therefore keep abreast of the crime situation. You know that don't you?

If you want to know about crime in Thailand, ask a Thai.

If you don't know any Thais, walk around your neighbourhood in Thailand and take a look at the bars on all the windows.

At least one can walk safely around their neighborhood in Thailand. The same can't be said for many neighborhoods in the US and an increasing number in the UK. Lot of bars on windows in those places too.

Whatever the house breaking rates in Thailand actually are, they are a fraction of what they would be without extreme vigilance on the part of ordinary Thais. Most the Thais I know will not leave their houses un attended, if there is noone to stay home and watch the house, they don't go out.

Load of places in the US and UK where this is true. Are you saying Thailand is unique?

I compare this with my mother in the UK, who doesn't even have keys for her house, and my sister in up state New York who, like her neighbours, leaves her car keys in her car. Crime in the UK/US is extremely geographical, a matter of a couple of miles can deliniate high crime and no crime areas. That is not so in Thailand and particularly not so for foreigners.

Sorry, but crime rates in Thailand vary enormously by location, just as they do in the countries you mention. Did you just pull this out of your ass, or do you have some stats to back up your assertion?

The idea that crime follows the large numbers of foreigners in Pattaya is also missleading. There need not be large numbers of foreigners to attact theives that target foreigners.

If a foreinger moves to any part of Thailand, news if his/her arrival in the area will be known before they have even unpacked their suitcases. Within a matter of days every theif in the area will be considering the easy and rich pickings to be had.

It's all black and white with you isn't it? I can only speak for my case, but they must have missed me the last 11 years. We left our house unoccupied during the daytime and some nights for two years while we were in Manila. Not a thing missing. Must be the exception that proves your rule I guess.

Like others have said, not all the theives are Thai, and I treat all foreigners in Thailand with extreme suspicion until they prove themselves trustworthy.

Thailand and yes, in particular Pattaya, attracts some of the worst dregs of the west, many by nature or out of desperation do turn to ripping off, or robbing their fellow countrymen.

MY God, we are agreed here!

I've lived here in the North East for coming on eight years. My house has not been burgled and neither has my truck. I have no knowledge of other farangs in the area suffering such a fate either.

My truck is left unattended for days sometimes (admittedly with a steering lock) without anything being removed.

Leave a truck in the centre of Liverpool for more than an hour and you'd be walking home.

According to one of the Guesthouse Iron Laws:

Crime in the UK/US is extremely geographical, a matter of a couple of miles can deliniate high crime and no crime areas. That is not so in Thailand and particularly not so for foreigners.

Jayenram, you must therefore live in some statistically freakish part of Thailand. Guesthouse, what do you make of this??

Edited by qualtrough

I had a house built in Loei, and I must admit I was paranoid about thieves as I had lived for so long in Pattaya where house breaking is common, but I also have had no problems in Loei as of yet, and I also don't know any farangs personally that have either in this area. Then again I don't know many Farangs in this area. :o