Thieving.

Luckydog

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think I can offer the 'best' thieving story so far. some of you might not believe it but I can assure you it is true.

M father lived in a village in Trang province for about 13 years and was well liked by the other villagers. at the age of 57 he had a heart attack and died instantly. I had lived in Thailand at that point for a number of years but was actually back in UK at the time so I flew out with my wife and sister for the funeral.

During the funeral I took quite a few pictures with a camera that never left my side. The day of the burial arrived ( a tiled grave prepard in the rubber garden behind the pig sheds ). The coffin had been in the carport next to the house and me and three Thai guys proceeded to lift the coffin. I placed my camera on the wall of the carport (an arms stretch away) while I was lifting the coffin. When we had left the carport I called to my wife to grab the camera and take a photo. Camera was gone!! Never to be seen again. Top marks for opportunism to say the least.

Oh goodie - a Pattaya Bashing thread. I have two dogs, one a very nice wolf-like hound and a soi dog that would tear your balls from your body and eat them in front of you.

We don't have much robbery going on where I live.

Don't be too sure. They will poison your Dogs if they want to get in.

Hope it doesn't happen Sport!

Edited by Luckydog

The only definition of 'right' that most Thais apply in their daily life is what they can get away with. Don't try to tell me that more developed countries operate the same way. They don't. The difference is this: in the west, corrupt behavior almost always has consequences. In Thailand, it almost never does.

As others have said, theiving is pretty mild in Thailand as compared to many other countries. I've never had anything stolen in nearly 3 years in Thailand, but I was robbed a few times after only 6 months in India. I even had my underwear and socks stolen in India when they were out on the line to dry.

Also, I'd say crime in general is much worse in the US (my home) than in Thailand. The only difference is that generally in Thailand the criminals will try to steal without any confrontation. Whereas in the US, they'll point a gun in your face and ask for your wallet. Where would you prefer to be?

And as for corruption having consequences in the west... Just look at the current administration running the show in the states and tell me what consequences they've had to face after 6+ years of perpetual scandal.

A few years back when I was still living in Las Vegas a guy rings the doorbell at a home in an average Las Vegas neighborhood. It's about 5:30 pm and the husband and wife are in the kitchen talking about whatever. The husband goes to the door and opens it (foolish) and the wife hears a man's voice say, "Give me your wallet". Then a few seconds later she hears a shot. The husband had given up his wallet but the guy shot him between the eyes anyway; the husband was dead before he hit the ground. This happened about 1 mile from my home; the bad guy was never caught.

I don't think incidents like this happen very often in Thailand. Even the 2 Russian ladies murdered on the beach probably resisted in some way.

As far as home robbery most Thai in these small villages know EVERYONE and watch out for each other.

Personally, I feel safe here because (1) I don't live in a tourist area (2) I don't flash gold or cash. I keep a low profile and enjoy myself and the family and friends I have made since coming here.

Latest statistics show that Thailand is third on the list of 32 Countries where people are murdered by shooting. The US is 13th and the UK 32nd!

Glad you feel safe Bro'

actually , its burglarizing ! :o

I think its actually "burgling" - at least in the UK.

There is certainly a lot of it too. My sister's house in Stockport has been burgled five times, despite burglar alarms and internal door locks being fitted.

G

Edited by grtaylor

The only definition of 'right' that most Thais apply in their daily life is what they can get away with

:o

Very good!

But is the mentality really so much different in farangland? Or rather, that you can not expect to get away with the same things there?

Lived in the Aran area for three years and never locked the doors, once while I was gone 23 beer chang disapeared but was returned with ice three days later, now live in Chanthaburi and the same is true. I have had a lost wallet returned by a tuk-tuk driver I would never expect this in the U.S. home........

I live right out in the sticks in Central Thailand for over 3 years and touch wood I have never been burgled, robbed, the car broken into, helmet stolen etc.

Yes we have dogs and they do let us know if a stranger is around and the moo ban is small where strangers are easy to spot.

Even in the village 6 km away a lot of people know me and my family. I dropped 500 baht in a shop a few months ago and somebody from the moo ban was in the village and was asked to tell my what happened and collect the money. No reward was asked or taken.

I usually leave my helmet on the scooter as does everybody else and a few times I have left the car unlocked with the keys in it. The car and contents were still there when I got back.

However I am sure that a lot goes on that I know nothing about and my wife doesn't tell me everything.

I don't wear rose coloured spectacles but I do feel much safer up here than in the big cities and much safer than I ever did in the UK.

actually , its burglarizing !

No it's not!

'burglarize' is some American made-up word.

Actually it's "burgling". Anyway, how's this for a record? All over Europe, no exceptions, I've suffered break-ins, vandalism, pickpocketing, motor bike and car theft, washing stolen from a line and - worst of all, pilfering by my own staff when I had a business in England. In Thailand, never, except by a baby elephant that stole my bananas. Tourist spots are a natural first choice for parasites of all kinds and many tourists arrive just begging to be robbed. With a few local exceptions, Thailand still has a long way to go to be worse than Manchester, England.

I left a hotel, stupidly leaving over 10,000 baht on the bed while we went out for breakfast. When we returned the bed wade made, the room was clean and every single baht was left neatly on the night stand.

Tipped that maid well. :o

Edited by cdnvic

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2007-05-07 13:29:43)

actually , its burglarizing !

No it's not!

'burglarize' is some American made-up word.

Actually it's "burgling".

That's what I said to start with :o just got the spelling wrong. :D

Edited by Neeranam

Touch wood - never had a problem in Bangkok, Pattaya or Issan. Mind you, I always feel safe in Issan. The bedroom door on our Issan house have door locks. The builders never got around to putting locks on the front or back doors.

The only reason we built a fence around the property was to stop the neighbours taking a short-cut through the house ... and looking on in amazement at our inside toilet and shower .. especially when I was using one or the other.

Peter

Last year my Mrs was down the market and the garbo handed her 280B and said "look what I picked up by your back door this morning while you were out. Tell your ...(racist remark and mentally challenged insult deleted) husband to be more careful with his money. IT WAS THE CLEANING LADIES!!

Wondered what she'd been crying over. :o

We must keep in mind that foreigners only hear/read/see a very minute fraction of crime that goes on in Thailand.

Speak for yourself. Do you mean tourists?

Maybe he means the Farangs that live in Italy.

No, I mean Farangs living in Thailand who for the most part do not speak or read Thai (beyond a rudimentary level) do not hear or read about nor see the majority of crime that goes in Thailand.

When working with Thais in Thailand I often overheard conversations on various issues, including crime, that expats sitting in the same office space where oblivious too.

Conversely, as is reported frequently here on TV, Thais will share information and gossip, the smallest incident of Crime in a Thai community is known about and talked about.

Absolutely correct.

Thai language news (TV and print media) is full of crime reporting – assault, murder, theft…the English language papers here don't touch on any of this unless it is a sensationalized story (I am excluding those Pattaya papers that reprint the police blotter from the previous evening). What do you think, the high walls with glass on top, the bars on the windows, security guards, etc.? Ask any Thai and they will tell you theft is a problem.

I love these stories, a Thai person returned my wallet, or told me I had money sticking out of my pocket – ergo, Thais are honest. Every country has good people and bad people. I lost my wallet in the US, it was returned with all the cash – are all people in the US good, of course not. I lost my wallet in Thailand, never to be seen again – what does that mean – nothing. I have had two mobile phones returned to me in Thailand, and two stolen (one right out of my apartment in a building with security – I am sure it was the exterminator, did I get it back, no). A previous GF had a maid steal a 30k-40k baht camera right out of her bedroom – I have never had a single baht stolen by a maid. These anecdotal stories are meaningless.

I suggest you have someone pick up a copy of a Thai paper and read it to you – your eyes may open a bit. As I was told when I first moved to BKK, it is not a very safe city (though some areas are good). My first GF was always telling me, tuck in your gold, put your wallet in your front pocket, watch out on the block accross the road (a lot of workers) - turns out she was right, it just took me a while to realize it.

I suggest you have someone pick up a copy of a Thai paper and read it to you – your eyes may open a bit. As I was told when I first moved to BKK, it is not a very safe city (though some areas are good). My first GF was always telling me, tuck in your gold, put your wallet in your front pocket, watch out on the block accross the road (a lot of workers) - turns out she was right, it just took me a while to realize it.

Hi Furbie. I don't need to have someone read a Thai paper for me as I can do that by myself. I can tell you from my reading Thai papers that the vast majority of the violent crime is Thai on Thai, and of that violent crime the vast majority is due to business disputes or grudges, jealousy, vocational school fighting, and similar. Comparatively little of it is random or directed at total strangers (esp. farangs), which is what really frightens people. Here is a list of crimes that are quite rare here or unheard of, whereas they are not uncommon back in my home country (USA):

Spree or mass killings

Workplace killings by people going postal

Muggings

Drive-by shootings

Carjacking

Serial killings

To each his own. Say, where is Colpyat, or did I miss his post?

What a load of RUBBISH

There is very little theft in Thailand. Far less than in most European countries.

It is totally unfair to assume all Thais are thieves and it is their national pass time.

While it may be true to say that Thais have a tendency to lie - often to save face or for no apparent reason - in terms of theft, robbery etc - Thais are very very honest.

I dont like the tone of your post.

By the way it is not fair to assume Pattaya is like the rest of Thailand. Pattaya has the worst of Thais and the worst of foreigners in the country.

I live in a very very poor area in the country side, I dont feel in any danger here. I can go to the roughest parts of Bangkok and feel safe walking the streets at night.

Try going to Manila - there you will find thieves at any street corner - where there is a criminal culture.

I dont like foreigners like you who make sweeping negative statements about Thailand

Why did you come here? Did someone invite you? Did someone invite you to come to Thailand? Why did you choose Pattaya? Didnt someone tell you there is more crime in Pattaya? Did you come here to take advantage of local ladies'? Did a local lady take advantage of you?

When I first came to Pattaya I thought the Thais must love Dogs as they almost all seemed to have one snarling through the Railings of their house.

But, of course, the reason for the Dogs is that Stealing is indemic.

If their was a 'Stealing Olympics' this Country would get a lot of Gold Medals. That's for sure.

What, if anything, have you had nicked ?

And if the answer is "Nothing" don't be complacent. It could happen anytime.

So beware my friends........

i had my shoes stolen from outside a temple in ayuthaya.

can you believe it?

i take my shoes off to be respectful and some monkey steals my shoes.

i had to take a tuk tuk to some shop and buy sandals half my size.

but, this is not uniquely a fault of thailand.

Try going to Manila - there you will find thieves at any street corner - where there is a criminal culture.

I dont like foreigners like you who make sweeping negative statements about Thailand

The only acceptable obnoxious sweeping generalizations are those you yourself make ??

Actually is a fact - amount of theft and crime in Manila. Not a generalization. We should feel lucky we live in such a safe and friendly place. There certainly is a criminal culture in Manila. IMHO Thailand is very foreigner -friendly, safe and Thai people are nothing short of fantastic. I cant understand why so many foreigners here are rude and speak badly of Thai people. Why dont they just go home? Or perhaps their home culture isnt so great - or suit their needs.

The only acceptable obnoxious sweeping generalizations are those you yourself make ??

I left my mobile phone in a taxi and had it returned to my house that night at the end of his shift. I offtered 500 bt. (which was about what the old thing was worth) and was turned down for the reward even though I lived a ways from the driver's house.

The only time I had things stolen from me was in a Pattaya hotel, when I left the door latched but ajar. A cheap watch and few small things by the door were taken. When I asked the front desk, they said they probably knew who it was and told me to ask again tomorrow. The next day, the Thai wife of a long-term resident of the hotel explained that her foreign husband has a "problem" and begged me not to call the police. I figured it wasn't worth the trouble and didn't, but she never gave me the cash she offered me either. Maybe I should have called.

On the other hand, a friend living on a BKK mooban had her house robbed at night while she was sleeping. She woke up to find the robber had a huge knife. She backed off and he left with the DVD player, some DVD's and a few other small things. She was terrified after that though.

Most of the theft from foreigners I hear about here is either by other foreigners or in houses with little or no security. Funny thing is that the same seems to be true for Japanese foreigners, they tend to get robbed by other Japanese people. I lived in a condo with some Japanese residents and many of them got robbed in a short period of time. When the thief was caught, he was Japanese.

15,000 baht was pick pocketed out of my wallet by some scum bag as*hole taxi driver in Pattaya. I was young nieve and drunk. Never made the same mistake again though! That Bas*ard will get his comeupance one day!! :o

Edited by Matthew31140

I've left three cell phones in taxis in Thailand, and never got them back. They always turned them off quick, realizing what they had.

Are you saying that you being careless by leaving your mobile in a taxi means a Thai person has thieved it ? :D

Totster :o

I hope you're joking. Do you understand what it means to take something that's not yours willfullly? Stealing? Thieving, whatever you want to call it. Yes, it is theft by the taxi drivers that did it. Two of them I called and they turned off the phone they had just found so they could keep it. They knew what they were doing.

Is it mostly my fault for leaving them in the taxi? Yes, of course, because it's just human nature, especially when you're a poor taxi driver.

But don't try to call it not stealing, that's just silly.

I've left three cell phones in taxis in Thailand, and never got them back. They always turned them off quick, realizing what they had.

Are you saying that you being careless by leaving your mobile in a taxi means a Thai person has thieved it ? :D

Totster :o

I hope you're joking. Do you understand what it means to take something that's not yours willfullly? Stealing? Thieving, whatever you want to call it. Yes, it is theft by the taxi drivers that did it. Two of them I called and they turned off the phone they had just found so they could keep it. They knew what they were doing.

Is it mostly my fault for leaving them in the taxi? Yes, of course, because it's just human nature, especially when you're a poor taxi driver.

But don't try to call it not stealing, that's just silly.

I wasn't joking... you assume that the taxi driver switched off the phone, you also assume that the taxi driver did not try to find the owner, or hand it to the Police.

Finding something in the back of a taxi at the end of the day, that someone has left there, is not the same as stealing/thieving in my book, it's a moral decision whether or not to try and find the owner.....now if the taxi driver took the mobile out of your bag or jacket when you weren't looking, well that's another matter.

I'm not alone in my view... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=94252

The moral of the story... don't be so careless with your belongings... and while I'm at it, don't expect any different behaviour from taxi drivers the world over !

totster :D

The cleaner has been given a tip - THB200.

Whilst I caution against overtipping, this could be viewed as an insult. I don't know if there was Bt1000 in the wallet or Bt50,000 in it. The tip aspect in this scenario is to say thank you but to also protect your fellow diners by not making the now honest cleaner think that they received perhaps a minute fraction of what they could have gotten had they not been so honest.

My house in soi Khao Noi was like a fortress with grilles over the windows and a cage over the back yard, all the missus's work.

Same in the Philippines except the tea leaves smashed a hole through a window between the bars and fired a CS grenade into the house of a colleague. When he and his wife staggered out the front door the assembled crims entered, wearing gas masks, and ransacked the place. Even if the couple recovered from the effects of the gas they weren't about to do much, staring down the barrel of a gun. And this in an estate with security. :D

Security? Don't make me :o .

Thailand, even Pattaya, is nowhere near that bad and nowhere near as bad as some people try and make out.

Anyone tell me where I can buy a Gas Mask in Pattaya. Thieves read our posts you know......