Death sentence - commuted to life - for Thai man who shot ex at Victory Monument clinic

webfact

Death sentence - commuted to life - for Thai man who shot ex at Victory Monument clinic

1pm.jpg
Picture: Naew Na

The Ratchada criminal court has handed down its judgment in the case of a 28 year old Thai man who shot and killed his ex wife in a clinic at the Victory Monument, Bangkok, in February. 

He was given the death sentence for premeditated murder though this was commuted to life because he admitted the crime.

On February 18th 2020 Danusorn "Jay" Numcharoen from Samut Sakhon walked into a clinic at Century Plaza where his recently divorced ex Piyanut Chatrathai, also 28. worked. It was daytime.

She was shot in the head and neck. A bullet also hit the back of the left hand of another staffer, Wilasinee Theepan. The defendant was also charged with attempted murder for this offence.

After the shooting the assailant fled to a relative's house in Phetchaburi where he was subsequently arrested on a warrant and brought back to Bangkok to face questioning from the Phayathai police.

He admitted everything.

Wilasinee said he had heard that her co-worker had been having problems and knew the assailant. She said that he walked into the clinic wearing a black suit and fired twice at Piyanut. 

Wilasinee cowered under the counter and was hit as the assailant let off three or four more shots. 

Another witness saw the assailant at the scene.

The court gave Danusorn the death sentence but changed it to life on admission of the evidence. He was also given one and two years for weapons offences and a year on a fake document charge.

He was ordered to pay 421,200 baht in damages to the victim's parents and a further 100,000 baht for funeral expenses.

Source: Naew Na

• Sad 3

A death sentence, commuted to life, because he admitted to murder.  He did not need to admit. There was more than enough evidence to commit him.  Murder should always be met with a death sentence!  As others have said, he will no doubt be out and about within a few years. Sadly, his victim won't!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Good to see Thailand acting like the civilised world and not like China, North Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia, USA etc. 

Civilised?  Murder is the taking of someone elses life. The perpetrator was uncivilised, and deserves the ultimate punishment - anywhere in the world!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Civilised?  Murder is the taking of someone elses life. The perpetrator was uncivilised, and deserves the ultimate punishment - anywhere in the world!

Not in civilised Europe or most western countries.  

Try reading up on it:

https://www.amnesty.org.au/5-reasons-abolish-death-penalty/

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

He was given the death sentence for premeditated murder though this was commuted to life because he admitted the crime.

Fair enough for me - as long as he is never released. Life in Thai prison would be far harder than a bullet to the head. Someone killed my daughter, I'd much prefer he suffered every day for 70 years

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Fair enough for me - as long as he is never released. Life in Thai prison would be far harder than a bullet to the head. Someone killed my daughter, I'd much prefer he suffered every day for 70 years

You know that would not be the case. He would be out in no time. If someone killed my daughter, I would do my utmost to return the favour, irrespective of what happened to me

• Like 1

2 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

You know that would not be the case. He would be out in no time. If someone killed my daughter, I would do my utmost to return the favour, irrespective of what happened to me

No he wont, this is not the UK where you do 6 years and out on parole for murder. Thailand prison sentences are long and harsh even for small petty crimes and drug offences your doing a lot of years. He might receive Amnesty after doing minimum 20 years. 

He was given the death sentence for premeditated murder though this was commuted to life because he admitted the crime.

How stupid is this?  This is why the death penalty is not a deterrent to violent crime.  Completely Assanine. 

20 hours ago, webfact said:

He was ordered to pay 421,200 baht in damages to the victim's parents and a further 100,000 baht for funeral expenses.

He's going to have to wash a lots of dishes in the pokey to save up that amount of money.

On 12/8/2020 at 8:31 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

Good to see Thailand acting like the civilised world and not like China, North Korea, Iran, Saudi Arabia, USA etc. 

The Saudis consider it to be very cruel to imprison someone for the rest of their life, which I believe as well. Execution, to them, is merciful. Personally I think he should imprisoned in a small cell and tortured once a week for the rest of his life. Problem is that it costs money to keep such thugs so we need to balance cost against punishment. Perhaps a couple of years on death row with his hopes being raised and constantly dashed (like the Americans do) then execution is the best balance