15 working days is not long enough for visa and COE approval process?

On the e-visa application site, it says "Visa applicants are suggested to submit application at least 15 working days prior to the intended travelling date to Thailand" 

I followed this advice and sent off the online part of the application for the tourist visa on 2nd Dec (and sent my passport on the 3rd) and I have a flight booked to Thailand for 24th Dec. 

However, even though I applied 15 working days before my flight, I don't believe this is enough, since the visa alone can take up to 15 days and only *then* can I apply for the COE, which can take 3 days.

If the overall process takes 18 working days, that means I probably won't get the COE until 31st Dec, which is after the date of the flight I booked.

It seems to me you should allow apply for the visa at least 18 working days before your flight.

So the advice on the e-visa site which says 15 days is very bad advice.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and someone can correct me, otherwise it seems I will need to rearrange my flight and my ASQ?

Also I've just checked the tracking on my application and passport.

I sent it by special delivery on the 3rd Dec, and it only arrived TODAY (8th Dec). I'm guessing this is because the embassy was apparently closed for a few days for a deep clean.

I'm guessing there is now very little chance of my application being processed in time for my flight on the 24th Dec...

1 hour ago, reddy123 said:

Also I've just checked the tracking on my application and passport.

I sent it by special delivery on the 3rd Dec, and it only arrived TODAY (8th Dec). I'm guessing this is because the embassy was apparently closed for a few days for a deep clean.

I'm guessing there is now very little chance of my application being processed in time for my flight on the 24th Dec...

Where did you apply?  Check for any threads on that embassy.  Some people had applications take long, but most seem to be a week to 10 calendar days.  The London thread, which I haven't looked at recently was around a week with people already having visas and I think someone said NY Consulate was a week.  Mine through Los Angeles consulate was 10 calendar days with 2 holidays in there so was only 6 business days.

The electronic part is processed first anyway and at least in Los Angeles, they seemed to have approved the tourist visa without the paperwork so that by the time I sent the passport in, they gave me the COE the day after my passport arrived and the passport with visa was in the mail a day later.  It might have taken less total time, but the DC Embassy website said that the officer would notify to apply by mail, so I was waiting for them to say to mail.  But turns out, it should be mailed without waiting.

Edit:  I should add that there seems to be a general increase in people applying as awareness grows and the traditional busy season has arrived.  So that might add some days.

Edited by Carmine6