Gang in custody after Chinese woman abducted for ransom in busy Bangkok Soi popular with expats

webfact

Gang in custody after Chinese woman abducted for ransom in busy Bangkok Soi popular with expats

2pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Sanook reported that their sources suggested that a Chinese woman was abducted from a soi in Sukhumvit Road, Bangkok and a ransom of 15 million baht was demanded for her release. 

They said that the metropolitan police's children's and women welfare division had been contacted by a Chinese friend of the abducted woman and through an interpreter told them what happened.

If the police were told the abductee would be killed, said the friend. 

Met chief Lt-Gen Phakkhapong Pongpettra ordered immediate action from the Thong Lo police.

CCTV showed people or a person following the woman in Soi 39 (Phromphong) where many foreign expats live.

Then a white vehicle with its registration plate obscured by card was seen. This was believed to have been used by the gang to abduct the woman. 

The gang - comprising 5 or 6 people both Thais and Chinese - was soon arrested and the woman freed.

She has mentioned problems with being in debt. 

A news conference from the met chief is expected at 10 am today, said Sanook. 

Source: Sanook

• Like 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

She has mentioned problems with being in debt. 

41 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

arrested soon after.....how did that happen? Either totally inept or some kind of scam.

"Part-time kidnappers" trying to recover debts rather than pro criminals. (I suspect; this happened to the mother of one of my Chinese friends...)

1 minute ago, onebir said:

"Part-time kidnappers" trying to recover debts rather than pro criminals. (I suspect; this happened to the mother of one of my Chinese friends...)

Scary...lost a pound in a fruit machine when I was 17......so upset (that was 10 pints worth) never gambled since.

8 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

Scary...lost a pound in a fruit machine when I was 17......so upset (that was 10 pints worth) never gambled since.

It's not always gambling debts; that friend's mother was involved in some kind of investment (/ponzi?) scheme.

• Like 1

Gang confesses to abducting Chinese man for Bt15-million ransom

By The Nation

800_df588e9bccd50ed.jpg?v=1607490860

A gang which abducted a Chinese man were nabbed on Tuesday and confessed that they had kidnapped him for Bt15-million ransom because of a conflict over the budget for constructing a building.

Thong Lo police, which were investigating the case starting with an examination of an area in Soi Sukhumvit 39, traced a white Mitsubishi in which the victim was taken to Suphan Buri province.

They subsequently arrested one Chinese man with Malaysian nationality and his four Thai accomplices in Bang Pla Ma district and rescued the victim.

The Malaysian kidnapper told police he had a conflict with the victim and his company over the construction and he could not withdraw money for the project.

He, therefore, decided to abduct his compatriot for ransom.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399334

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-09

• Like 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

sources suggested that a Chinese woman was abducted

18 minutes ago, webfact said:

A gang which abducted a Chinese man

Oh dear, I'm soooo confused! Was it a woman, a man or a Chinese ladyboy???

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, lovethai123 said:

Am I getting it right? She took money from Chinese moneylenders and since she wasn't able to payback they kidnapped her. She should have taken the money from Indian lenders working there illegally. They would never threaten. 

According to the old Thai proverb,  lend a friend money and you no longer have a friend. (You have a business ???????? )

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, mike313 said:

According to the old Thai proverb,  lend a friend money and you no longer have a friend. (You have a business ???????? )

New story is, it wasn't a woman but a man.

He is running a few "spas" and owed his "employees" some money.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mike313 said:

u r quite right. i remember when my thai gf was staying with her mother and she needed money.

Small amounts like 500,1000 etc.

a friend of hers gave her the money, but after 2 times she asked for a commission/interest. 100 baht for 1000 baht.

3 hours ago, AlfHuy said:

Latest news.

The woman turned out to be a man ????

He is apparently a "spa mogul". (flesh trade).

Quality from Ch....

Malaysia. If you're going to be prejudiced at least get it right.

On 12/9/2020 at 8:59 AM, webfact said:

Sanook reported that their sources suggested that a Chinese woman was abducted

21 hours ago, webfact said:

A gang which abducted a Chinese man were nabbed on Tuesday and confessed that they had kidnapped him

I'm confused was it a transgender or 2 separate kidnappings both using a white car ??