Dual citizenship

MY WIFE IS THAI...SHE BECAME AN AMERICAN CITIZEN IN 1976.....NEXTYEAR WE MOVE BACK TO THAILAND.....IS IT POSSIBLE FOR HER TO GET HER THAI CITIZENSHIP BACK AND ALSO KEEP HER AMERICAN CITIZENSHIP......THIS WOULD MAKE BUYING LAND AND OWNING A HOUSE ALOT EASIER..... :cool:

Hey, please keep us informed on this one as my wife is Vietnamese and in my opinion it would be foolish to give up the green passport unless she can have two.

We're a few years from that, but I have british friends who seem to do ok with going both ways on that although a few of them have been getting their chain yanked on their pensions from England these days.......they live in the States.

Thank you in advance

Regards

Mr Vietnam

:o

She should be able to do it per below quote from FAQ at the Royal Thai Embassy, Washington:

3. Whether a person of Thai nationality who has renounced his/her nationality recovers Thai nationality?

A person is entitled to apply for recovery of Thai nationality by filing an application to the Consul.

Thai Embassy

• 2 weeks later...

I guess this means my girlfriends friends are correct, once my girlfriend has New Zealand Citizenship she will lose her Thai citizenship if the Thai government finds out.  I thought it was an urban myth.

Is this correct?  

If so I guess the plan is to always use her thai passport in thailand and never tell the Thai government that she has dual citizenship.

I guess this means my girlfriends friends are correct, once my girlfriend has New Zealand Citizenship she will lose her Thai citizenship if the Thai government finds out.  I thought it was an urban myth.

Is this correct?  

If so I guess the plan is to always use her thai passport in thailand and never tell the Thai government that she has dual citizenship.

I am unsure if the Thai government would actually take away her citizenship.  Maybe they would.  I plan on getting dual citizenship for my wife also for Thailand & USA.  I asked the Thai consul about this and I was told "it is technically against the law, but no one will say anything to her about it as long as she enter's Thailand using the US passport."  This is an impossibility as we plan to live in Thailand starting next year so I need her to enter on Thai passport.  You just have to be very careful about it and dont advertise the fact that she is a dual-citizen.  She has asked around too and it turns out many people living in Thailand are dual-nationals.  Some even have 3 or 4.  It can be done but dont tell anybody in Thailand about it.  It should be ok.

It is an urban myth.  She will not lose Thai citizenship unless she formally asks in writing for some reason (such as required by some other government to grant citizenship).  As long as she is not in the worlds top ten most wanted list there is very little chance she would lose citizenship.   Sorry if you took the procedure to regain citizenship as meaning loss was automatic.  It isn't.