witing time for residency certificate from immigration

Hi there

2nd vist to immigration due to one missing signature on paperwork

Just spent the last 3 hours at immigration trying to get my residency certificate so i can renew my bike licence

had signed copies of house book and I D card from my lady, who could not be there due to work load

Lady on counter spent ages looking at the paperwork supplied, kept holding up the papers with the signatures on, then passing them to other staff to inspect

Then get told, " You come back 18th December, but no explanation as to why i need to return in nearly 2 weeks, just for a simple piece of paper

Is this normal ?

Did not even need the certificate when i renewed my car licence from 2 to 5 years ! 

To renew my 5-year DL a Certificate of Residency Letter from Immigration was required. Went to MTT to apply, immigration then sent the Letter via EMS (giving me the EMS receipt so I can track it) and received within 2 weeks. 

PS: my passport had attached Immigration Certification of Residence receipt previously received from my 2019 long term extension application. That may have expedited Immigration's Letter issuance.

40 minutes ago, thenewgoo said:

I heard in Chiang Mai the letter takes 2 weeks to be made - it is a very complicated letter and difficult to make in any time less than that I guess. The staff can miraculously make one in a few hours for 1000 B though (it used to be 500 a few years back).  

The last time I got one in Chiang Mai it was 4 weeks wait.

16 hours ago, Joinaman said:

Hi there

2nd vist to immigration due to one missing signature on paperwork

Just spent the last 3 hours at immigration trying to get my residency certificate so i can renew my bike licence

had signed copies of house book and I D card from my lady, who could not be there due to work load

Lady on counter spent ages looking at the paperwork supplied, kept holding up the papers with the signatures on, then passing them to other staff to inspect

Then get told, " You come back 18th December, but no explanation as to why i need to return in nearly 2 weeks, just for a simple piece of paper

Is this normal ?

Did not even need the certificate when i renewed my car licence from 2 to 5 years ! 

Crappy immigration office. Buriram issues it on the spot. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, thenewgoo said:

I heard in Chiang Mai the letter takes 2 weeks to be made - it is a very complicated letter and difficult to make in any time less than that I guess. The staff can miraculously make one in a few hours for 1000 B though (it used to be 500 a few years back).  

A few months ago it was 500THB, pickup next day.

thanks guys

i guess i stupidly thought it would be a standard letter on their computers, with only the need to input name and address

Do they ever use those machines ? Seems everything has to be paperwork, copies, instead of just having it on the computers, which should be linked to most other government departments

Proof of residency ? why ? its only a driving licence, they have your details already from the first licence , they have copies of house book, passport, UK licence, etc, yet seem unable to use these for future use

and they really  seem to hate it when you ask the dreaded word " WHY"? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Obviously didn’t open your wallet

Actually I wasn't given the opportunity to do so. Went it with necessary documents, lined up at desk, presented papers and given slip of paper to come back on a date 4 weeks later. Wasn't in a hurry so didn't care.

And why should a person open their wallet for a FREE service? Its people opening their wallets for free services that turns them into paid services.

Edited by Dazinoz
  • Like 2

On 12/10/2020 at 11:50 AM, Dazinoz said:

Actually I wasn't given the opportunity to do so. Went it with necessary documents, lined up at desk, presented papers and given slip of paper to come back on a date 4 weeks later. Wasn't in a hurry so didn't care.

And why should a person open their wallet for a FREE service? Its people opening their wallets for free services that turns them into paid services.

Totally agree but if you want it quicker you have no option also for me it’s at least a five hour round trip so in your example that would be ten hours, cost me more in fuel.

The last time I renewed my drivers permit in CM it took me about twenty minutes to get the letter.  My next renewal is due in July of next year.  I see no reason why this letter is even necessary since immigration already knows where every non-Thai and every Thai lives.  Five years ago was the first time I ever needed one in the past 30+ years I have lived here.  It is just another way for the government to harass people and extort more money.  Perhaps I should just make my wife do all the driving.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

Totally agree but if you want it quicker you have no option also for me it’s at least a five hour round trip so in your example that would be ten hours, cost me more in fuel.

Fully understand and I would definitely pay. Last time for me not in a hurry so dint ask about payment option. And I am only about 15 minutes from immigration.

Been doing my 90 days online with no issues but this time telling me to goto office. Tried on different days but no luck. Would definitely be urined off if I had to travel 10 hours.

22 hours ago, Dazinoz said:

Fully understand and I would definitely pay. Last time for me not in a hurry so dint ask about payment option. And I am only about 15 minutes from immigration.

Been doing my 90 days online with no issues but this time telling me to goto office. Tried on different days but no luck. Would definitely be urined off if I had to travel 10 hours.

What in a way makes it worse is that I have a pink ID card, if I renew my driving licence at the DLT main office in Chiang Mai it’s accepted as proof of residence.

My local DLT office however will not accept it so it’s a case of economics, my local Immigration Office for a fee arrange the certificate and I save time and money.

They do however issue both licences for six years, so it’s swings and roundabouts.

well, it looks like another stuff up by my immigration office

got a phone call today telling me they don't have the letter from the land office, even though it was in the pile that i gave them, and the same pile the lady checked and rechecked

So, looks like i have to go to the land office, get the letter, then go to immigration, see what else they have stuffed up, and then wait for how long, before i get the certified paper

You cant beat immigration , but sometimes you want to