Are FreeStyle Libre sensors available in Thailand?

woodyleonhard

That's the one. A real life-saver....

Thank you!

While I have you here... it's very hard to find Humalog (or Novolog) in Phuket. Not sure why, but the usual pharmacies in Phuket don't stock either. I can get Humalog at BKK Phuket Hospital, but it's expensive and requires a prescription.

Any idea where to find Humalog (or Novolog) in BKK, for delivery to Phuket? (A related question: Lantus and metformin are available many places for long-term glucose control. But without Humalo or Novolog, how do Thai diabetics use short-term insulin?)

Appreciate it!

Edited by woodyleonhard

1 hour ago, woodyleonhard said:

That's the one. A real life-saver....

Thank you!

While I have you here... it's very hard to find Humalog (or Novolog) in Phuket. Not sure why, but the usual pharmacies in Phuket don't stock either. I can get Humalog at BKK Phuket Hospital, but it's expensive and requires a prescription.

Any idea where to find Humalog (or Novolog) in BKK, for delivery to Phuket? (A related question: Lantus and metformin are available many places for long-term glucose control. But without Humalo or Novolog, how do Thai diabetics use short-term insulin?)

Appreciate it!

Mostly they do not (use short-term insulin). Chronic disease management in Thailand does not involve anywhere near as much patient information/autonomy as in the west. Most Thai diabetics are on a mixed form of insulin prescribed by their doctor. In fact most do not even self-monitor their blood sugar. Patients are assumed to know next to nothing about their diseases and to be poorly compliant,  and doctors manage accordingly.

There are 2 other brands of rapid acting insulin on the Thai market besides Humalog:

NovoRapid

Apidra

Note that the Apidra is insulin  glusiline which has a much quicker onset of action than either Humalog (insulin lispro) or Apidra (insulin aspart)

it is possible there is also a generic form available to the government hospitals, I am nto sure on that

These are all in a more restricted category than mixed preparations and intermediate/long acting insulins and require a prescription and records kept of all dispensing, which in Thailand usually means not available outside of a hospital (though you can try, script in hand)

If you have nto yet, try the Fascino Pharmacy in town and also the pharmacies located right near Vachira (government hospital)

If that fails, your most economical option would be to attend Vachira as an outpatient, med costs will be a fraction of what they are at private hospitals. But there will be long waits. You can reduce that somewhat by going through the "after hours clinic" usually starts around 3-4 PM

In terms of ordering by mail, given that these are prescrioption only drugs I think the only option would be here:

https://www.medconsultasia.com/

There is a 300 baht surcharge on top of the medication and shipping cost