Bangkok air pollution at unsafe levels

rooster59

Bangkok air pollution at unsafe levels

By The Nation

800_851bfdd3208426b.jpg

Air pollution in Bangkok's 38 districts hit dangerous levels on Saturday morning with PM2.5 (particulate matter less than 2.5 micrometres in diameter) readings coming in at 39 to 72 micrograms per cubic metre (μg/m3), the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration's Air Quality and Noise Management Division reported.

Thailand’s standard for safe levels of PM2.5 is 50 μg/m3, though the World Health Organisation sets it at 25 μg/m3.

People, especially children and the elderly in areas where PM2.5 pollution is bad, have been advised to stay indoors and monitor their health.

As of 7am, PM2.5 was at dangerous levels in Nong Khaem, Thawee Watthana, Khlong San, Bang Khen, Bangkok Yai, Bang Khun Thian, Pathumwan, Taling Chan, Phasi Charoen, Bangkok Noi, Samphanthawong, Phra Nakhon, Chatuchak, Sai Mai, Prawet, Lak Si, Bueng Kum, Sathorn, Bang Khae, Bang Bon, Nong Chok, Thung Khru, Yannawa, Don Muang, Chom Thong, Bang Sue, Pom Prap Sattru Phai, Thonburi, Wang Thonglang, Bang Na, Phaya Thai, Khlong Sam Wa, Lat Krabang, Phra Khanong, Din Daeng, Khlong Toei, Dusit and Minburi.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399496

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-13

Seems crop Burning profits for a few are more important than everyone's health..yet again, yet another year.  The BS government health department is telling everyone this is because everyone is staying in Bangkok this weekend.  Lol.  Goodbye Thailand we put our health first.

• Thanks 1

If the real  health impact was definitively measurable it would help.   But like all low level pollution cases over history ot never seems to shake people into  reality.   Except maybe when people glow green. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Elkski said:

If the real  health impact was definitively measurable it would help.   But like all low level pollution cases over history ot never seems to shake people into  reality.   Except maybe when people glow green. 

Or their lungs fail as happened to a friend of mine, a long term Bangkok resident who made no effort at self-protection from pollution. The PM2.5 in my bedroom right now is 000 according to my air tester and is a result of running my air purifier on (even) low for most of the day. So I have the relative luxury of breathing very clean air while I watch the RTAQ (Bangkok) and AQI (Klong Toei) sites.

Should I feel sorry for the children who are now sleeping and breathing 'Unhealthy' level air because their parents...? Don't get started. My ignorant landlord has two young grandchildren living with him and believes in 'open windows' and burns josh paper regularly.

• Like 1

For the record (This was three hours ago. PM2.5 is now 176 and, BTW, those paper surgical/medical masks will not protect from this level of pollution - they weren't designed to do so) Sheltering in place, ideally with an HEPA air purifier running, and wearing an N100 respirator mask when outside is just about the only viable answer, IMO.:

BKK_RTAQ_121220_0011.jpeg.0b523a0382e6fb2a29c1f03e29128ddb.jpeg

• Like 1

The solution this year was sensors & info for all to know pm2.5 levels so why do anyone feel disappointed with no root cause action?

You want more air spray?
Free masks?

Not happy so move (south) or to another country which clean air policy you can accept ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

32 minutes ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

And it doesn't seem to becoming from neighboring countries as they quite often claim.
Apart from India that is. BKK looks worse than CM right now.
https://www.accuweather.com/en/th/bangkok/318849/air-quality-index/318849

394499301_c9B692my86-Copy.jpg.18913dca05398a201aec2ff7809562e9.jpg

Yes, pointless blaming anyone else. This is Bangkok's own making...

From this morning:

image.thumb.png.6df992bc4c7434b50de79108f4fd3c0d.png

• Sad 1

According to DirtyHarry55's accuweather posting, it appears to be concentrated to the direct west of Saraburi, which is to the NNW of Bangkok. But I don't see very many fires in the FIRMS 24-hours data (which shows only the fires' presences, which, in this case seem to be directly north of Bangkok, I believe, and not the pollution level produced by the fires, BTW). It's a 24-hour display and I'm not absolutely sure when they reset the data/display.

The RTAQ 48-hour historic tracking showed that from last Friday and through the weekend it was cyclic - intensifying to unhealthy in the late evening and through the early morning and then returning to moderate by noon or 1300.

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map  (map has to be positioned over the Bay of Bangkok and the focus area set manually)

BKK_FIRMS_121420_1340.jpeg.e449edbc031871c39ff8c836119ae083.jpeg

Edited by MaxYakov
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

For reference regarding stubble burning in neighboring Cambodia Khmer Times):-

December 14, 2020

Ministry of Environment issues ban on burning rice straw to avoid air pollution

Environment Ministry bans burning rice straw and garbage in rural areas.

Let's hope it is enforced. My cynical side says it'll be enforced on those who can't pay up.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Yom said:

...or

*  when themselves or their family members get out of breathe

*  landing in an ICU

*  die.

The problem with this is that it can take years, or even decades to manifest itself into serious illness, so the real consequences of this problem are easily swept under the bamboo mat ????

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, MaiDong said:

it can take years

Yes, you're right. But...

I have been short of breath since Saturday 3 a.m.

That night severe pain while lying on the left side

and on the back, breathing a bit deeper or coughing.

This has remained till today.

ER and laboratory already done.

Will see the Pulmonologist tomorrow.

By the way, you might find some facts to PM2.5

since Jan 15  2020 in the Chiang Rai Forum -

The very northern part of Thailand, Chiang Rai,

Phayao, Nan, Phrae and surrounding areas.

Edited by Yom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Yom said:

Yes, you're right. But...

I have been short of breath since Saturday 3 a.m.

That night severe pain while lying on the left side

and on the back, breathing a bit deeper or coughing.

This has remained till today.

ER and laboratory already done.

Will see the Pulmonologist tomorrow.

By the way, you might find some facts to PM2.5

since Jan 15  2020 in the Chiang Rai Forum -

The very northern part of Thailand, Chiang Rai,

Phayao, Nan, Phrae and surrounding areas.

I sympathise fully! I'm asthmatic and I'm short of breath despite staying indoors most of the day, and only going out for short bursts to the post office and to buy dinner - always wearing a proper PM2.5 mask.

My comment was more in respect of scientific/medical proof of the consequences of this current state of air quality here.

The authorities are very quick to set up barbed wire road blocks and send troops on to the streets of the capital, but less keen to enforce road stops for emissions checks, slightly warped priorities if you ask me...

• Like 2