Mystery of tire air pumps at gas stations....

Trujillo

Maybe there is a choke point between where the pressure is being measured (upstream of the chuck) and the inside of the tire?  Maybe the chuck isn't depressing the valve stem pin all the way?  This would cause pressure to build upstream and give an artificially high pressure during filling.

4 minutes ago, pseudorabies said:

Maybe there is a choke point between where the pressure is being measured (upstream of the chuck) and the inside of the tire?  Maybe the chuck isn't depressing the valve stem pin all the way?  This would cause pressure to build upstream and give an artificially high pressure during filling.

Or maybe the dodo put the chuck on sloppily and lost 5 pounds of pressure in the process.

It might be informative to know what happened after the 27psi reading.  Did the machine proceed to add air until reaching a reading of 32 or did the machine just immediately beep indicating that it was already at 32?  Or was the chuck removed quickly so Tujii did not find out?

I think people are misunderstanding...

What is happening is that the pump fills the tire to 32. And then when you remove the chuck from the tire and immediately put it back on the stem, the reading is less than 32. Regardless whether the gauge itself is accurate, it should read the same as you filled it immediately afterwards as well. But it doesn't. No filling station does. So there's some design thing happening I am not aware of. 

"You mean the 99 baht ones (tire pressure gauges) of Lazada are not reliable?"

Of course I don't mean that. Anything that costs 99 baht is 100% reliable and accurate. 

Edited by Trujillo
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2020 at 8:45 AM, ChakaKhan said:

I would trust those thai pumps as much as I would trust a roomful of bargirls with my new iphone....

always use your own gauge after....and double up with regards to the bargirls ????

Yawn, barstool wisdom.  I use the pumps at multiple stations and check it with my gauge. Always consistent all around. 

Can't help you with the bargirls. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

People still not getting what the op is saying :

He pressurised the tyre to 32 psi then, for some reason, stuck the hose back on and the reading was back down to 27 psi !!

What happened next we don’t know:

Did it pump a fair amount of air in again to get to 32 psi ?

or

Did it jump back up rapidly to get to 32 psi ?

The former would be somewhat of a mystery and the latter, although strange, acceptable.

I personally bought a gauge from Lotus and check the temp before replacing the dust cap, always found them to be pretty accurate despite the connection on the end of the hose looking like it has been run over a few times !

9 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

People still not getting what the op is saying :

He pressurised the tyre to 32 psi then, for some reason, stuck the hose back on and the reading was back down to 27 psi !!

What happened next we don’t know:

Did it pump a fair amount of air in again to get to 32 psi ?

or

Did it jump back up rapidly to get to 32 psi ?

The former would be somewhat of a mystery and the latter, although strange, acceptable.

I personally bought a gauge from Lotus and check the temp before replacing the dust cap, always found them to be pretty accurate despite the connection on the end of the hose looking like it has been run over a few times !

The Ops initial explanation was perfectly understandable. I’m not sure how some have become confused or misunderstood. 

The Op also indicated that this anomaly also occurs with air-pumps at other filling stations [no filling station does], which is why he is wondering if this is a design issue or technical issue or possibly even a calibration flaw. 

Personally: I’m no so sure. I pump up my tires, do so a month later etc and the pressures are similar, having lost just a couple of psi. That said - its definitely something worth checking and wouldn’t do any harm to perform a ‘double check’.

I’ll  go with the ‘double tap’ next time I put air in the tires - just to see if this happens. 

• Haha 1

What does happen in all these stations is that the pump usually will fill the tires higher than what you programmed in by a few pounds, and then it releases air to the designated number. You can hear it (and see this on the display). 

A: When I immediately put the chuck back on the tire that was reading 2 seconds ago 32psi, and it shows 27, it does kick in to fill with more air up to 32. 

I love reading you guys on subjects like automotive repair, light bulbs, home renovation. You are experts! 

On the epidemiology of SARS-CoV-2 (the Covid-19 virus). not so much.

????

I filled my tyres with nitrogen, 400bt first time after that free top ups. I just drive to the tyre shop where I filled the tyres and get the free tyre pressure check and free top up of nitrogen. Don't even have to get out of the car.

• Haha 1

I don’t use petrol station air pumps because it’s more convenient to do at home with my electric tyre air compressor. Always found the gauge on the compressor to be a bit hit and miss though,  so I overfill by a couple of PSI, and then bleed down to the correct pressure verified by an analogue pressure gauge.

• Haha 1